Talk

Advanced search

to decline a gift

(96 Posts)
motherofthemall Sun 15-Jan-17 21:23:15

My parents have very generously offered to buy me an expensive watch for my 30th birthday. I am delighted and really would like it. However, i know that my husband will be annoyed, he often gets grumpy when i get expensive gifts and calls me spoilt and that i don't need such things etc etc.

Soubriquet Sun 15-Jan-17 21:24:09

Accept the gift and kick your dh out

Why on earth does he moan about that?

Is he jealous?

coconutpie Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:09

^ What Soubriquet said

iklboo Sun 15-Jan-17 21:26:02

He sounds like a whiny toddler.

MLGs Sun 15-Jan-17 21:26:23

What? of course you can accept the gift.

he sounds horrible!

PidgeyfinderGeneral Sun 15-Jan-17 21:26:32

Erm, what? Why would you decline a lovely present from your parents because your DH is a twat? Tell him to get a fucking life and keep the watch.

Leeds2 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:26:48

Don't tell him how much it cost.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 15-Jan-17 21:28:29

Do his parents not buy him expensive gifts?

Does he expect your parents to do so?

Diddums.

Crispbutty Sun 15-Jan-17 21:28:38

It would be incredibly rude and ungracious to refuse a gift like that, which would be a very sentimental item too, from the two people who have been in your whole life.

He sounds a jealous knob.

Pumpkintopf Sun 15-Jan-17 21:28:47

Is he upset because he can't afford to buy you such expensive gifts himself, therefore resents others doing so?

GahBuggerit Sun 15-Jan-17 21:29:09

hes jealous. get the watch, wouldcbe a lovely keepsake, unlike him

harderandharder2breathe Sun 15-Jan-17 21:29:32

Accept the gift and tell DH to grow the fuck up

Screenburn Sun 15-Jan-17 21:30:33

Wow what a joyless fucknugget your DH is.

Accept the watch - it sounds like a lovely gift from great parents.

motherofthemall Sun 15-Jan-17 21:33:07

Thank you. He doesn't have a relationship with either of his parents. He can afford to buy me such things, but I don't think he would ever choose to. I really want to be excited about the gift but I am dreading the atmosphere it will create. A first world problem, I know.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 15-Jan-17 21:35:28

A first world problem, I know.

Not really. Jealous, controlling husbands are an issue the world over.

I'd be getting that watch.

austenozzy Sun 15-Jan-17 21:36:08

Sounds like a miserable, controlling tightwad. Does he lay down rules and restrictions for you on anything else? Clothes, food, friends, social life?

Catsize Sun 15-Jan-17 21:36:41

Lovely gift, accept it.

LostSight Sun 15-Jan-17 21:37:21

He sounds mean. Does he often deliberately spoil things for you?

PollytheDolly Sun 15-Jan-17 21:37:21

What a knob-jockey.

Accept the lovely gift. It's not your fault he's 5 years old mentally.

thesourceofLoveandLight Sun 15-Jan-17 21:37:41

my dh is a bit like this - if i get anything nice he goes on about it and it takes the shine off, tbh.

I think its jealousy. I call him out all the time and he denies it, but the next time I get a present it starts again. You have my sympathy, OP. accept the watch and ignore him.

EmeraldScorn Sun 15-Jan-17 21:42:08

You're allowed a gift from your parents no matter how much it costs and you do not have to feel guilty about it or question it in any way.

Your husband sounds like a self centred man-child but to be fair you sound as if you feed his childishness by even paying attention to his whims - Ignore him, accept the watch and enjoy wearing it.

You don't have to justify why your parents are buying you a birthday gift, don't be a door mat, it's your birthday your parents, and he is blatantly a jealous, insecure moron.

tinydancer88 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:51:09

Ignore your husband. Enjoy your gift, and your generous parents.

RandomMess Sun 15-Jan-17 21:58:23

Your DH doesn't sound very pleasant!

kittybiscuits Sun 15-Jan-17 21:59:53

Soubriquet gave perfect advice!

mumgointhroughtorture Sun 15-Jan-17 22:01:51

Accept the gift otherwise your parents miss out buying something for their Daughter (you still are their child) that they want to buy so hes almost controlling them too because it's like you can't accept this to keep him happy. He needs to deal with it .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now