Talk

Advanced search

To not really like 'Breaking Bad'

(87 Posts)
chickensaresafehere Wed 05-Feb-14 07:46:54

Yes,I know,I'm a bit late grin but just started catching up on Netflix.
Have been told by lots if people that I'll love it,watched episode 4 last night & Its not grabbed me.Also annoyed by the over use of that awful term 'retard'.My daughter has CP,but that's another thing altogetherhmm
I love stuff like Homeland,True Blood,Criminal Minds,The Walking Dead but am struggling with this one??

Stopdropnroll Wed 05-Feb-14 07:50:28

Stick with it, it does get better!

DevlinMaccabee Wed 05-Feb-14 07:50:41

It didn't really grab me until a bit further along so it might be worth persevering, or maybe not. It's not for everyone.

BakingBad Wed 05-Feb-14 07:53:30

I absolutely loved it but it's not for everyone.

I found it just got better and better, especially after season 3. I thought it was superbly written and acted and loved the way the characters developed. It was dark, but also very funny at times.

Stick with it, hopefully you'll become an addict fan like me smile

chickensaresafehere Wed 05-Feb-14 07:54:41

The violence doesn't bother me & I suppose I could over look the offensive word angry
But haven't gelled with any of the characters yet either.
Don't get me wrong it's very well acted & different,which I usually like.
Sons of Anarchy might be a better bet (yes,I'm late with that too!!!!)

Topaz25 Wed 05-Feb-14 07:54:56

YANBU. I'm catching up too and haven't really got into it. I don't find Walt very relatable, I feel like he is putting his pride before his family's safety. Also I find it overwhelmingly bleak and depressing, which is weird because I watch other shows that aren't exactly sunshine and butterflies. It is interesting to see the guy who played Hal in Malcolm in the Middle in such a dark role though.

EmmaGellerGreen Wed 05-Feb-14 07:56:36

We've tried it too and just didn't get it at all.

chickensaresafehere Wed 05-Feb-14 07:56:51

I agree Topaz,it is bleak.Felt quite 'bleurgh'after last nights episode & not from the violence.

Retrofairy Wed 05-Feb-14 07:58:11

I felt exactly the same and a friend of mine said if I could get to the end of series 1 and not want to carry on watching he would give me twenty quid, well he was right I carried on watching and became completely hooked like everybody else, but I must say it did take me most of the first series.

chickensaresafehere Wed 05-Feb-14 07:58:19

What series do you like Emma???

natwebb79 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:01:55

Ooh interesting. We're currently catching up with 'Dexter' on series 5 and we're pretty addicted to it. We've been told to try breaking Bad next so we'll have to see...

Foxred10 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:04:19

I hated it. Couldn't relate to or warm to any of the characters at all, and Skylar gave me the rage confused
Stopped watching at Season 4 I think

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 05-Feb-14 08:13:40

I gave up early. I found it pretty scummy and offensive and, frankly, I watch more than enough TV that I don't need more. If a programme can't catch me from the off, then I don't think it's worth my time.

jigsawlady Wed 05-Feb-14 08:18:28

I could have wrote this exact post a few days ago. I just find it so boring!

Im more a Mr Selfridge/Downton/The Paradise/ Poirot kinda girl anyway but don't mind things like Walking dead or game of thrones but Breaking Bad is boring!!!

Thewhingingdefective Wed 05-Feb-14 08:20:51

YABU...it's ace! Stay with it, you will see.

Such a clever, witty programme that takes you high and then drops you to the depths.

HettiePetal Wed 05-Feb-14 08:58:12

I would stick with it until the end of the first series at least. If you don't then get completely hooked and binge watch the rest, I shall be amazed.

AndThatsWhatIThinkOfYou Wed 05-Feb-14 09:04:47

YABVVVVVVU I loved it

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Feb-14 09:15:46

I was obsessed with Breaking Bad. Do stick with it - one of the best finales to a TV series I've ever seen. I think it helps to have someone to watch it with, otherwise you're just sitting on your own with a very very bleak screen.

Cocolepew Wed 05-Feb-14 09:17:06

I like it, but I don't think it's anywhere near shows like The Sopranos, Dexter, ER or Rescue Me. DH thinks its the best thing since sliced bread though.
I only like Hank in it.

HarpyFishwifeTwat Wed 05-Feb-14 09:19:07

I watched about 5 episodes and gave up. I just don't have the time or energy to watch a whole season (or 3) of something because it really does get better then. I give stuff a few episodes. If I like it, great. If not I give up. If people try to make me watch more I start to resent the hell out of the programme which makes me hate it even more.

Not everything is for everyone.

SockPinchingMonster Wed 05-Feb-14 09:27:45

Urgggghhhh I hate it - it's the most boring tv show I've watched in a long time. I persevered and watched the whole first series, wish I hadn't as that was a good few hours of my life wasted. Most American shows I quite like - love Criminal Minds, Dexter, Banshee etc, but Breaking Bad is just crap.

chickensaresafehere Wed 05-Feb-14 09:31:59

I am watching it with my husband and he's really enjoying it.
Much prefer 'The Bridge' (but realise thats a totally different programme altogether) & was so sad that it finished on Saturday night.Was hoping BB would fill that void.
Will try & give it another go,but failing that its 'Sons of Anarchy' for me,anyone enjoy that instead??

PrimalLass Wed 05-Feb-14 09:37:25

I loved it. Now watching Californication for the gratuitous sex scenes grin

Annakin31 Wed 05-Feb-14 09:44:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bluecarrot Wed 05-Feb-14 09:49:19

I cringe at the language and violence but I love Jesses character. Watching it with DP otherwise I'm not sure I'd have made it past the first episode.

We are on s2 e7 ( only watch it during evening cluster feeds with newborn dd)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now