Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to make my indoor living dog sleep outside in a kennel now that she's moulting everywhere?

(95 Posts)
SweatyBettyLikesItOnTheSettee Sat 08-Oct-11 20:03:52

Bloody balls of hair all over the place.....it's like sodding tumbleweed!

ScaredBear Sat 08-Oct-11 20:05:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Oct-11 20:06:17

Depends on the dog and breed, but several breeds are more than hardy enough to live outside. Might be a bit sad though if used to be in the warm with you and having the company

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 08-Oct-11 20:07:19

Urgh. Don't know what else to say. How about YOU sleep outside, OP, and leave your dog where it is?

SweatyBettyLikesItOnTheSettee Sat 08-Oct-11 20:08:14

DH and DS2 think it's mean but they don't have to vacuum all the time.

NinkyNonker Sat 08-Oct-11 20:08:17

I'm sure this is a joke.

I do feel your pain OP, one of ours is a moulter and it is AMAZING how much she loses!

YABU. It's getting wetter and colder, so unless you have a proper kennel that is heated/air conditioned to suit the climate YABU.

Also do you know she is well trained enough not to bark in confusion at suddenly being locked out all the time?

And do you mean sleep outside or live outside? Will you spend enough time with her if she is kept outside all the time or will she be mostly alone?

trufflesbum Sat 08-Oct-11 20:08:29

YABU.

Lovethesea Sat 08-Oct-11 20:08:45

YABVU. The poor dog is part of your pack. Don't banish them. A whole husky team, fine, they like the cold. But a normal family hound? No way. Cruel.

discobeaver Sat 08-Oct-11 20:08:54

Could you clip the dog?

Ormirian Sat 08-Oct-11 20:09:06

Tough! And yes yabu.

SweatyBettyLikesItOnTheSettee Sat 08-Oct-11 20:10:30

She's a collie,so she should be rounding up sheep on Welsh hillsides.

LaWeasel Sat 08-Oct-11 20:10:45

Also assuming you are joking.

Are animals supposed to moult in October? Surely they should be keeping fur for winter coats? I am puzzled by the huge amounts of cat hair I am wadding through...

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Oct-11 20:11:04

Have you put your heating on? Probably why she is moulting

onemoreminute Sat 08-Oct-11 20:11:06

meanie

Marne Sat 08-Oct-11 20:12:07

Take her out side, give her a good brush and then bring her back in (in the warm).

SweatyBettyLikesItOnTheSettee Sat 08-Oct-11 20:12:44

Nooo,never have the heating on til it's properly cold.
Often not until Jan/Feb time.

Birdsgottafly Sat 08-Oct-11 20:16:45

Buy a Furminator, they are about £20 on Ebay. They take out the guard/under hair that is normally shed.

My dog is happier outside (GS), i have had words with the neighbour today, who though i was being cruel, because my dog was sat in the path in the rain, even though the door was open and my neighbour thinks she knows my dog better than me, it depends on the dog.

ImNotAnsweringIt Sat 08-Oct-11 20:19:36

Scottish hills I think.

Anyway, groom it, will stop hair loss if done often.

MrsJasonBourne Sat 08-Oct-11 20:20:54

She might be meant to be outside herding but if she's lived indoors all her life she's hardly likely to be hardy and tough enough to live outside now

But if you can stand listening to her howl and bark and cry outside in the cold whilst you sit in your nice warm house admiring your clean shiny hoover then go right ahead.

Don't be surprised if your neighbours call the RSPCA because they keep hearing a dog whining.

DogTiredDD Sat 08-Oct-11 20:23:35

Thats rotten let your dog sleep in the kitchen where you can brush the floor. My little girl loves our dog thats a collie aswell.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 08-Oct-11 20:24:13

Second the furminator. But my collie finished shedding weeks ago. Perhaps I'm further north than the OP

PS, no, you can't put the dog out.

sixkids Sat 08-Oct-11 20:25:00

a dog that has always lived outside will be hardy to weather conditions but as yours is usually indoors it is cruel.

SweatyBettyLikesItOnTheSettee Sat 08-Oct-11 20:25:06

ImNotAnsweringIt,she came from farm in Wales and we got her from a rescue.

Birdsgottafly Sat 08-Oct-11 20:29:23

Just to add incase i gave the wrong impression, my dog sleeps indoors, she just prefers to be outside when she can be.

Mess is part and parcel of dog ownership, unless you go for a toy breed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now