Talk

Advanced search

to think that the world (or at least MN) is divided into those who think that life if a constant battle and if you aren't striving and fighting you might as well be dead, and those who think that as

(126 Posts)
Ormirian Fri 22-Jul-11 20:46:14

it goes life is pretty OK and mostly things are fine and perfectly acceptable and by and large most people are quite nice?

Because I am the latter.

And I think that too many people are the former.

I don't know how they do it. They are tiring just to watch.

I could give you two examples from my own friends but it's too much effort to type it up. They seem to be afraid that if they stop paddling for two second together they will sink.

Which side are you on? A paddler or a floater (so to speak? grin)

Glitterknickaz Fri 22-Jul-11 20:47:31

Paddler.
Unfortunately it's a necessity in our case, stop paddling and they'll bloody let you drown.

AitchTwoOh Fri 22-Jul-11 20:47:35

floater. i could do with paddling a bit more, tbh. grin

aStarInStrangeways Fri 22-Jul-11 20:48:33

<bobs amiably on the surface>

Never thought of myself as a floater before, but I guess that's what I am grin

Ormirian Fri 22-Jul-11 20:49:26

Ahhh glitter - I don't count paddling to keep a roof over your head. DOn't that for years and I might well be back there if my job goes tits up) I am talking about people who still paddle like crazed ducks even when they are financially secure but still seem to see the wolf at the door (sorry for the mixed metaphors)

VelveteenRabbit Fri 22-Jul-11 20:50:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LemonDifficult Fri 22-Jul-11 20:50:53

A paddler, even though I know the floaters are right.

timidviper Fri 22-Jul-11 20:50:57

Another one who is a floater (though never thought I'd hear myself say that!) As Aitch said though I would probably get further in life if I did paddle a bit now and again.

I am contented but I may never be stinkin' rich smile

AmazingBouncingFerret Fri 22-Jul-11 20:51:04

I'm a floater. grin

Ormirian Fri 22-Jul-11 20:51:06

Can I perhaps subsitute 'lotus eater' for floater. A great deal more fragrant!

sleepindogz Fri 22-Jul-11 20:51:12

im way too lazy to be the former

i like things as they are in the main and am easilypleased

bigTillyMint Fri 22-Jul-11 20:52:14

I'm a floater though I don't like the term!

I'd rather be called a glass half-fullsmile

AuntieMonica Fri 22-Jul-11 20:53:13

i'm a bit of both

a swan

without the grace wink

Fooffy Fri 22-Jul-11 20:54:30

I've ( well me and DH) have been paddling for 12 years.

We are quite happy to float now cos quite frankly we are fucking exhausted.

thestringcheeseincident Fri 22-Jul-11 20:54:31

definitely a floater. although every now and then I capsize and panic for a bit.

mousesma Fri 22-Jul-11 20:54:58

floater, I will never be rich or mega successful because I just don't have the drive. However I think there's alot to be said in being happy and contented with what you've got, and I am smile

DoMeDon Fri 22-Jul-11 20:55:16

I am a floater- I find paddlers hard work and bloody confusing.

I also think a lot of paddlers love the (often self-created) drama.

Bearcrumble Fri 22-Jul-11 20:55:38

I am a floater for sure, but often feel guilty for being lazy and not 'achieving my full potential' etc. etc.

I am pretty happy on the whole being a full time SAHM and lucky to be financially secure because of DH and I both inheriting money.

Have wild ideas of starting my own business once DS is a bit older.

I do get into paddling gear now and again and do quite well. I organised our street's Big Lunch street party this year with not much time to spare and it was an amazing success. I felt very anxious throughout the planning and worried all the time that everyone hated me because I was bossy and was very happy once it was all over but then I missed the stress a bit.

Taffeta Fri 22-Jul-11 20:55:40

Its all comparitive though, isn't it? My Mum is the world's biggest flapper (paddler). DH is the world's biggest floater. He has calmed me muchly. Many of my friends and all my colleagues all think I am a floater.

They are wrong. I am just not a natural multi tasker, I have to work very, very hard at it.

MissBetsyTrotwood Fri 22-Jul-11 20:56:07

Being absolutely one or the other is much less stressful than veering between the two. As in floating for a while and realising you should've been paddling or paddling furiously then feeling awful because you realise you could've floated a bit more.

Guess I'm a paddler then. Oh well.
(Shit. Stop paddling. Must. Float. A. Bit.) grin

mistressploppy Fri 22-Jul-11 20:58:00

I am most definitely a floater. But I'm married to a paddler. Ex bf was a floater too and I think that's why it didn't work. We got on really well though grin

Ormirian Fri 22-Jul-11 20:58:51

Ah! An episodic paddler betsy! At least you give yourself a break sometimes.

Fooffy Fri 22-Jul-11 20:59:14

I have clearly misinterpreted paddling. We've paddled because we had no choice. Not paddling for the sake of it.

alowVera Fri 22-Jul-11 20:59:50

Hmmm, guess I'm a drifter in most things in life, but something's need fighting. But I tend to pick my fights. Not everything is worth fighting. And something's you can't just drift. How's that for a sitting on the fence answer?

Rhinestone Fri 22-Jul-11 21:00:09

I'm a very happy floater from a family of furious paddlers! In fact my parents are such the archetypal middle-class paddlers that they could pretty much part the Red Sea with their paddling and make a sizable dent in the Earth's crust.

It has caused many many problems in my life because they just don't 'get' me and I had a miserable childhood because I didn't excel at school and as far as they were concerned that was the be all and end all of life. My siblings are all paddlers too so I was on my own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now