Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

would yu get an almost 9yr old an ipod shuffle for xmas?

(47 Posts)
misdee Fri 10-Oct-08 15:08:35

as i think dd1 would really like one. she keeps taking mine and dh ipods and listening to them. she is really getting into music atm.

i think a shuffle is pretty much the way to go, easy to use, can be clipped onto clothes etc etc.

dh says just get her a cheaper mp3 player. which i would do, but the ones i had were also such a faff to use.

WideWebWitch Fri 10-Oct-08 15:09:33

Ds was given a £20 MP3 player from Argos and really liked it, this was for his 10th birthday iirc.

misdee Fri 10-Oct-08 15:13:27

did that need batteries? we are always hunting for batteries in this house.

geordieminx Fri 10-Oct-08 15:17:02

You can get mp3 players that can be charged via usb cable into computer/laptop.. Amazon is a good place to look.

My only concern would be is she responsible enough not to loose it/break it/have it stolen, having said that if you have that attitude you would never buy kids anything grin

What about a phone with a built in MP3 player?

bellavita Fri 10-Oct-08 15:18:16

misdee - my DS2 (who will be 9 next month) will be getting an ipod shuffle.

DS1 (11) is getting an i-pod nano and DH keeps dropping hints that he would like an i-pod touch!

<<<<bellavita wonders if they all want plugs in their ears so they can't hear me nagging hmm>>>

misdee Fri 10-Oct-08 15:20:00

she is not having a phone.

wouldnt be allowed in school, except for fridays after school for cheerleading practise if they can hook it into the school stereo via a cable.

they arent that much iyswim. argos do them for £32.

def not getting ehrthing too flash.

wold she get mugged for a shuffle?

misdee Fri 10-Oct-08 15:20:59

bella, dh is huinting he wants a bigger storage ipod for xmas as well. he has filled his nano up completly and has 1000's of tunes he wants to put on there.

bellavita Fri 10-Oct-08 15:27:14

I think the new i-pod touch is around £169 eeek.

misdee Fri 10-Oct-08 15:29:53

no idea, havent started on dh's xmas shopping yet. his can wait and see what i have left after the girls pressies lol.

misdee Fri 10-Oct-08 15:32:07

i think he would be better off with this one he is currently converting all his vinyl over to the pc as well.

bellavita Fri 10-Oct-08 15:33:52

Still expensive though aren't they.

misdee Fri 10-Oct-08 15:34:39

yeah. but i think he is worth it wink lol. he wont get anything else. except a t-shirt lol.

bellavita Fri 10-Oct-08 15:51:17

grin

herbietea Fri 10-Oct-08 15:56:31

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 15:59:48

No. I'm a lot older than 9 and I have broken 2 MP3s and lost one blush And they were cheap ones. Unless she is much much better than me at being careful, don't waste the money. Could you get a cheap one to start with?

I had a Philips Cube - 29.99 from Currys (I think). Liked it a lot until I lost it. Not a faff to use at all.

littlerach Fri 10-Oct-08 16:00:35

Dh bought one for dd1 (7) when she recievd th ehighest award at school.

It wasn't much more than other types as it wa on ofer.

She uses it a lot, in the car for instance.

She has a little purse that she keeps it in.

geordieminx Fri 10-Oct-08 18:50:40

If its only £32 then I would go for it, you wouldnt really many other rechargeable mp3's for that.

Love the idea of cheerleading practice... sounds ever so cute!!

uptomyeyes Fri 10-Oct-08 18:56:46

DS1 (11) got one for xmas last year. he wanted one but hasn't actually used it much. Its a bit of a faff that you can't easily choose the music you want to listen to as there is no display.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Fri 10-Oct-08 18:58:46

No.

I don't think it is good for their ears.

At all.

uptomyeyes Fri 10-Oct-08 19:01:12

Must agree with Kerry. I was never without my sony walkman cassette player as an early teen and onto a discman when they came out. My hearing is shot to pieces. I now listen to my ipod at about 85% volume.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Fri 10-Oct-08 19:04:01

same here

OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 19:35:18

You need a display, a rechargeable battery and 2mb or more. Everything else is just flummery.

There speaks the voice of experience!

frogs Fri 10-Oct-08 19:39:26

No, for the reasons KM gives, and which I outlined in much more detail on this thread a while ago.

The original thread was about 4yo, but I'd feel the same about a 9yo, or a 14yo tbh. Put it off as long as possible. Get her some speakers instead if she wants to listen to music and just put up with the noise. It's a small price to pay to protect their hearing.

purpleduck Fri 10-Oct-08 19:58:31

My dcs both have mp3 players - dd has a set volume number she is allowed to listen to hers on....

dds mp3 player doesn't have a menu, and it is a PITA to find songs - I would worry about that with a Shuffle.

We have an Auxillary cable that hooks up to iPods, MP3's etc in the car - playing that music over the car speakers. Both kids like to have "their" music on...

(mine is WAAAAYYY better though!!! grin))

mumeeee Fri 10-Oct-08 22:51:16

No. In our house an Ipod shuffle would only be bought for a special birthday, I would just get her a cheaper Mp3 player until she is older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now