Talk

Advanced search

What do you have for Christmas Eve tea?

(62 Posts)
sidsgranny Sat 20-Dec-14 12:02:01

That's it really! We usually go carol singing around the village so often have crusty bread sausage sandwiches beforehand. What do you have?

LuckyLopez Sat 20-Dec-14 12:03:09

Chinese takeaway

MercuryRising Sat 20-Dec-14 12:05:48

We have my family over and have a buffet style tea with cheese board, crackers, mince pies, party food for the kids, baked camembert and crusty bread etc smile

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Dec-14 12:06:14

We have a little buffet with chicken wings, ribs, sausage rolls, sandwiches, crisps, cake etc.

DH cooks a honey roast gammon joint, so we have that warm with crusty bread too.

HollyJollyXmas Sat 20-Dec-14 12:10:03

Still havent decided this year. Probably a takeaway, though.

Hopefully Sat 20-Dec-14 12:10:59

Normally fish, seems to have become an inadvertent tradition. Last year a lovely if fish pie, this year salmon coulibiac.

QueenYnci Sat 20-Dec-14 12:15:25

Takeaway, probably chinese.

Aliennation Sat 20-Dec-14 12:17:39

Cullen skink with crusty bread. I have an old family recipie, it is one of my fav dishes.

Frontron Sat 20-Dec-14 13:07:43

I always cook our gammon on Christmas Eve so we have some of that with chippy chips, something we always did when I was younger too smile

Kaekae Sat 20-Dec-14 13:11:32

Takeaway and I like drinking baileys. I sometimes cook our gammon too.

FannyFanakapan Sat 20-Dec-14 13:15:05

we have breaded chicken escalopes, risotto with asparagus and peas, fresh tomato and mozzarella salad.

I hate it - we come home from Panto and I spend the next hour or so grafting while everyone else relaxes. I tried to change it one year, to a nice gammon and some potato gratin - all of which could be cooked in advance. But no, they all sulked.

This year Im doing all the prep in the morning, so it should be a quicker meal to make

42notTrendy Sat 20-Dec-14 13:15:15

We have roast ham. Use a recipe from the Incredible Spice Men. It's v yummy.

darlingfascistbullyboy Sat 20-Dec-14 13:18:18

we're having all the children's favourites this year - potato dauphinoise, pasta & pesto, cauliflower cheese & spaghetti hoops wink - with a selection of veg. Pain au chocolate pudding, icecream & chocolate pancakes on offer for pudding.

Deux Sat 20-Dec-14 13:24:38

We go to the chip shop after the crib service at church. It's become a bit of a tradition. Lovely not to have to cook as I'm usually so fed up with cooking by then. We have quality street and a christmas film for pudding. And I usually drink too much sherry.

chipsandpeas Sat 20-Dec-14 13:38:39

takeaway, think this year its gonna be fish and chips
last year was chinese

SconeRhymesWithPhone Sat 20-Dec-14 13:43:45

Cheese fondue followed by profiteroles

Nothavingfunrightnow Sat 20-Dec-14 13:48:24

Salmon Wellington (bought not home made!), posh fish fingers, fish cakes, baked fish, (can you see a theme?) with baby potatoes and salad.

Might leave out the fish cakes. Not sure yet.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Sat 20-Dec-14 13:53:08

I go for something pretty simple given the meatfest to follow the next day. This year I think it will be salmon baked in the oven, new potatoes and some fairly plainly cooked veg or salad. Then we start on the mince pies which my daughter and I will make during the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. I can hardly wait!

18yearstooold Sat 20-Dec-14 13:58:30

Chinese takeaway

It's the only day of the year we have it but it is now a tradition

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 20-Dec-14 14:01:25

It's ds1s birthday so we have party food followed by a slice of birthday cake.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 20-Dec-14 14:01:49

Buffet stuff

Notso Sat 20-Dec-14 14:05:43

We have all my in-laws round on Christmas Eve, so am doing slow roast pork dinner for 19. At least it will make Christmas dinner for 10 the next day seem like a walk in the park!

Cannot wait for Boxing Day's turkey, ham and stuffing sandwiches.

Wickeswench Sat 20-Dec-14 14:09:57

Cold ham joint, macaroni cheese (pimped with extra Parmesan, v mature cheddar & breadcrumb topping) and green beans. Mostly cooked in advance.

JannerBird Sat 20-Dec-14 14:10:39

I cook our ham on Christmas Eve, so have that with egg and chips. Yum.

annabanana19 Sat 20-Dec-14 14:42:14

I think ill make a curry. Just a jar. Nice and easy. Or pop to the coop and see what they have on offer. Last Eve we went in for a loaf and came out with lots of nice stuff. Beef joint for £1.59, 8 pork loins for 99p etc. All cos they were closed 1 day. So I think ill do the same again this year and grab a bargain tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now