Talk

Advanced search

Low carb fat bombs and mug cakes?

(19 Posts)
MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 11:07:05

I am not necessarily sticking rigidly to keto, but I am aiming for low carb - and I thought fat bombs or mug cakes might be a nice dessert-y sort of treat.

But I'm struggling with a few things - mainly the interpretation of coconut oil measurements (3/4 of a cup of solid converted to over 200g, but it looked like loads and the results just tasted of coconut oil!) - plus I don't know which sweetener to use, and some of the ingredients seem tricky to find.

This is what I have accumulated so far in my quest:
Coconut flour
Coconut sugar
Coconut oil
Coconut oil spray
Peanut butter
Almond butter
Vanilla extract
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Powdered stevia
Pumpkin puree
75% dark chocolate

I must have looked at 100 recipes but one way or another they all require something I don't have/can't find/have to order from Amazon, and I'm not convinced I'm interpreting cups of coconut oil correctly. If it doesn't specify, is it solid? 200g in volume seemed so much more visually than "1 cup"!

Does anyone have any reliable recipes in UK terms, which don't end up with an oily mouth-feel and coconut oil haze? I love peanut butter and prefer a drier fat bomb or something cakey, rather than a dense chunk of fat iyswim.

NB lucky I previewed, one of my coconuts autocorrected to cunt which is a bit harsh. Clearly I say that more than I say coconut...

OP’s posts: |
MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 17:33:35

Bit of a bump...sorry if too boring blush

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 17:41:09

I like this mug cake recipe. I use xylitol for sweetener as I don't like erythritol (it's b poisonous for dogs though so don't use it if you have one) I also like stevia but its ££££.

Have attached a photo of my favourite little muffin recipe you can swap out the blueberries for raspberries or add some cocoa powder and 70% chocolate chips.

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 17:42:23

Also buy some measuring cups! So much easier than trying to convert recipes

Happierwithouthim Wed 04-Mar-20 17:49:17

@WreckTangled hi wink

MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 17:55:18

I found some measuring cups under the sink! The 3/4 cup is missing, pretty sure I used it for washing powder, but I still have the others.

Thanks for that recipe, will take a look. I tried one today for peanut butter cups which have turned out OK so far, although I have yet to do the topping part - used bog standard canderel instead of Stevia (I don't much like the taste of Stevia).

I was still flummoxed by the coconut oil though. Recipe said 3/4 cup (melted) - does that mean measure 3/4 cup in solid form and then melt it, or melt some then measure out 3/4 cup? I aimed for the former, but used a bit less than the recipe suggested. They set really quickly, so we'll see...

I bought essential Waitrose coconut oil today - it doesn't say extra virgin cold pressed or anything, does it matter much?

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 17:59:11

I don't think it really matters. I tend to melt the coconut oil before I measure it otherwise it's too hard to get into the cup!

@Happierwithouthim smile

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 17:59:52

Check out Joe Duff for recipes too.

TopShelf Wed 04-Mar-20 18:02:48

Coconut sugar, op? I thought it was carb heavy.

MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 18:02:59

Blimey, 3/4 cup of melted seems like a lot!

Don't think I'll be eating any today, my IBS has suddenly kicked off without warning. I expect its the high fat.

MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 18:04:47

I dunno TopShelf, I saw it in another recipe and thought it might be better than all the sugar alcohol extracts that give me the shits...but I don't have to use it, maybe that was an error!

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 18:19:47

I haven't used coconut sugar and don't use the oil that much tbh. I prefer butter 😋

MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 18:24:17

I've found almond butter but no luck finding coconut butter. Can you just use normal butter then?

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 18:32:26

Yep I use normal butter all the time. Worth nothing that I'm low carb because I'm t1 diabetic and not because I'm following a strict keto diet for weight loss or anything

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 18:32:45

Worthing noting not nothing hmm

MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 19:00:38

I'm am aiming for weight loss but as I'm menopausal it can be tricky to shift...was trying low carb/no sugar to see if the numbers went down more easily than by standard calorie counting. Also tried intermittent fasting.

Do you just substitute butter 1:1 for coconut oil?

WreckTangled Wed 04-Mar-20 19:28:08

Yep smile

MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 19:34:58

Cool. Thanks!

MortyFide Wed 04-Mar-20 20:59:37

Jeez, I just tried the peanut butter cups. Urgh, lovely flavour but such a revolting oily texture. DH said he imagined its what biting into a lump of lard would be like.

<sigh> I don't think coconut oil fat bombs are for me, I don't know how anyone gets through a whole one - I had about a cm square. I'll try the mug cakes...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in