Talk

Advanced search

A-line skirts - problem shape

(16 Posts)
IsadoraDunking Tue 29-Sep-09 10:13:13

I am 5'3 and a size 14 usually. I love wearing boots and wear them with jeans all the time. Problem: I find the knee-length A-line skirt of the moment horrifically unflattering, a really really difficult shape to wear. I just don't have the height or leg length to carry it off. It's really hard to find a straight knee-length skirt though (I don't mean pencil which is too dressy).

Any thoughts on casual skirts for moi?

MamaG Tue 29-Sep-09 10:19:39

I'm 5'3 too and really suit A-line skirts! Have you tried on a few, maybe you just picked up a badly cut one ?

Celery Tue 29-Sep-09 10:22:16

I can't get on with A line skirts either. I am 5'4 and a size 10 ( wasn't always, previously have always been somewhere between a 14-18 ).

I have a short torso and narrow shoulders, A line skirts just don't suit me. I do like pencil skirts, they're not all dressy, Fat Face have a denim one in at the moment. I also really like the Boden mini, which isn't mini at all. It's straight lined and rests a couple of inches above the knee. Comes in various denims and different colours of cord. It's not tight, fairly loose fitting, but nice and straight.

IsadoraDunking Tue 29-Sep-09 10:22:40

Oh really? Hmmmmm I don't know. I find they really shorten me. Possibly you have better legs. Mine are ok but calves tend to the muscular (the only bit of me that does!). I find that even with a fitted top I end up looking overall too... circular or something. They make me look stocky.

squeaver Tue 29-Sep-09 10:22:44

I just got a nice straight knee length denim skirt in The Gap. I'm sure loads of other places haven them too, maybe French Connection?

Although I agree with MamaG - I think ALine suits pretty much anybody.

Celery Tue 29-Sep-09 10:24:17

If the Boden standard size mini is too short for you, they do a longer version too. By that I mean a couple of inches longer, meant for taller women, but if you wanted it to rest more on the knee that might be better.

IsadoraDunking Tue 29-Sep-09 10:24:28

Celery, I have a short torso too and broad shoulders (God I sound gawjus don't I? hmm). Will have a look at the Boden mini - have too much denim at the mo - in cord - you have it? Must admit I am not above a bit of Boden.

Celery Tue 29-Sep-09 10:25:34

I'm not a big Boden fan, but I really love their "mini" skirts.

OrmIrian Tue 29-Sep-09 10:25:59

I don't get on with them either isadora. I am tall with unfeasible long legs but it still makes me look like a triangle on legs and it's very unflattering IMO unless you have no hips.

I prefer straight skirts.

IsadoraDunking Tue 29-Sep-09 10:26:09

I clearly have The Figure That Suits Nothing!

I cannot wear:
A-line skirts
Biker boots
Chunky tights
Skinny jeans
Vest tops

Maybe I just have too great a helping of self-loathing. Or am too fat. sad

OrmIrian Tue 29-Sep-09 10:27:09

Try uniqlo for straight mini skirts. I have a cord one from them.

IsadoraDunking Tue 29-Sep-09 10:31:46

Is this the Boden one you mean? In the longer length the waist is also larger but I might try the regular as it's 19 inches, seems longish.

I am not in the UK don't have uniqlo (I don't think).

I might try that cord one. I think on the whole I will stick to straight, might investigate Gap too.

Celery Tue 29-Sep-09 10:51:49

Yes, that's the one, I have it in cord and denim. Yes, the regular is fine for me ( 5'4 ).

IsadoraDunking Tue 29-Sep-09 10:56:24

Feck it I've ordered it in brown (boring) with a tenner off code. Thanks a mill.

OrmIrian Tue 29-Sep-09 11:20:04

Like the Boden pencil skirt.

IsadoraDunking Tue 29-Sep-09 13:05:48

Me too but a nine-week wait in my size! I'll be looking at spring things by then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now