Talk

Advanced search

Right - if I was a famous film star I'd defo have a facelift. I'm not and so won't be. How else can I save my ravaged face?

(65 Posts)
itchyandscratchy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:11:37

I'm 41 and really starting to look and feel it. Everything seems to have sagged and I look tired and OLD.

I have place skin, not too many wrinkles round the eyes but my face looks saggy and I have lines around my mouth that give me Deputy Dawg cheeks. Man, I sound fine hmm

I use Protect and Perfect every day and Chanel Vitalumthingy foundation but think I prefer Mac so will buy some stuff on Fri when I go shopping.

Any tips for improving face? Beauty routines and make-up tips gratefully received!
Do any of the face creams that say they lift and rejuvinate actually work?

itchyandscratchy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:12:26

'place' skin??? Meant to say pale

glinda Wed 22-Jul-09 10:14:11

Oh god me too sad
Watching hopefully.

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:17:14

My mum swears by facial exercises and she does look amazing, she's 67 and could easily pass for mid 50s. Hopefully it's good genes (that she's passed on to me) but she does facial exercises every morning.

One thing I always find that gives me more of a bloom is massage... when washing my face in the morning I give a splash of cold water (itself a good way of tightening the skin) and then massage Clarins facial oil for about 2 mins. Give a pinky glow and I think it'll improve circulation which'll help any saggyness.

I'm wary of any cream that claims to lift, if they do it's temporary. I think only physical intervention will really lift (ie massage and exercises) because I guess your face is just like any other part of your body. It's supported by muscles underneath and if you don't use those muscles the skin will sag.

Molesworth Wed 22-Jul-09 10:17:41

Another jowly 41 yr old here watching the thread grin

cornsillk Wed 22-Jul-09 10:18:21

Elemis pro collagen marine cream works. Tis ££££ though - look on QVC or Time to Spa.

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:18:26

Apologies if linking to a saga website is an insult... really didn't mean to offend! I'm only a year or so behind you so I'm not some 20 year old telling you to do some facial exercises.... honest!

tattycoram Wed 22-Jul-09 10:18:34

The oil cleansing method (do a search on here) has made a massive difference to my skin. I think partly because it involves a bit of massage - as Headfairy says, that definitely helps

sarah293 Wed 22-Jul-09 10:21:20

Message withdrawn

glinda Wed 22-Jul-09 10:46:27

Facial exercises commence ...
grin shock grin shock grin shock grin shock
Looking better already.

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:11:06

that's exactly what my mum does glinda

She does it in the car on her way to work!

itchyandscratchy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:14:15

lol glinda

I read in MIL's YOU mag last Sunday in the beauty column about some kind of jade roller that someone used on their face that had fab results. Same theory a the massage I spose. Can't find the link though.

Oil cleansing method - would you recommend natural oil or a ready-made/commercial lotion or oil? I'm a bit wary a my skin is sensitive and looks awful if it reacts to anything. Have even got spots at the moment hmm esp round my chin and mouth.

God it's a wonder dh can even look at me!

BonsoirAnna Wed 22-Jul-09 11:16:20

More sleep, drinking only water and eating very good quality food helps skin quite a bit!

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:18:41

itchy, I've used olive oil on my face before.. perfectly fine. Or you could buy some Vit E oil capsules from the chemist, pierce a capsule with a needle, squeeze the oil out and use that. The vit E is very good for the skin (same as Evening Primrose oil)

LaurieFairyCake Wed 22-Jul-09 11:18:53

you can get those jade rollers much cheaper on ebay

here

sausagerolemodel Wed 22-Jul-09 11:25:01

If I feel scraggy I pile a load of proper vaseline on my face at night (not the cream, the actual petroleum jelly). Always look better in the morning. I was also given a present of Creme de la Mer facial serum a few years ago which is expensive but really does give a temporary "lift and tighten" if I am going out somewhere special and feel saggy. Go to a counter and ask if you can try a sample before you outlay cash if you fancy it.

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:41:25

Another good brightening product is Dr Sebagh exfoliating peel it's a home peel, it stings quite a bit, but it's really good to do before a big night out or something. Only make sure you do it the night before your night out (or at the lastest the morning before) because it leaves you looking rather pink and sensitive.. you need to slather on the moisturiser afterwards and let your skin calm down for a couple of hours.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Wed 22-Jul-09 12:42:28

Olay Regenerist has made a real difference to my skin in the few weeks I have been using it. I also try to have a monthly facial and my beautician commented last week how glowing my skin is these days (before I mentioned discovering Regenerist).

itchyandscratchy Thu 23-Jul-09 09:44:44

That saga site is really interesting actually <old gimmer> grin LOts of tips about wrinkles

Think will give Regenerist a go. Have been on the No7 R&R for a good while now and I still look like a boot so I'll go back to Olay for a bit I think.

Have been doing the shockgrinshockgrin exercises as well - it's good; makes your face feel nice

Backtoblue Thu 23-Jul-09 09:52:32

I look fab this morning!
I have just dragged all my hair back into a towel & pulled tight so that my face is tugged back. Ten years younger!

Am watching this thread with interest.

Any tips for aging upper lip? Ugh. I HATE aging!!

noddyholder Thu 23-Jul-09 09:52:48

I buy those 20p flannels from asda thin and quite rough.massage baby lotion all over my face and then remove with a really hot flannel.Decleor neroli facial oil afterwards and bed!Liz earle in teh day and superdrug factor 20 radiance cream id about £2 and the best brightener I've used and at 44 have tried them all.

fishie Thu 23-Jul-09 09:54:37

i seem to have got some red thread veins on my nose. help meee i do not want to look like rumpole of the bailey.

itchyandscratchy Thu 23-Jul-09 10:02:27

lol at myself being even more like a granny a calling Protect & Perfect 'R&R'. I'll be referring to 'Cliff Richards' soon hmm

Good tips Noddy. And how do you keep your sideburns so nice? (sorry)

Is the Decleor expensive?

janeite Thu 23-Jul-09 10:05:37

I like Regenerist too, especially the serum. Has anybody tried the eye serum?

noddyholder Thu 23-Jul-09 10:07:12

grin.I get the decleor from qvc and it lasts about 5 months so not too bad!Clarins orchid oil is good too.A big glass of water before bed and ist thing helps too.As does the thick layer of vaseline also removed with a very hot flannel,can you tell I'm obsessed with this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now