Talk

Advanced search

Can big girls wear skirts? If so , what length/style?

(19 Posts)
MindingMum Fri 22-Aug-08 20:26:46

I am 5'7", a size 20 bottom and size 22/24 top and would love to wear skirts occasionally (always wear cropped trousers or jeans)

I have nice slimmish legs (for my size) but a flabby tummy with an 'apron' blush

The only skirt i own is a full length gypsy style one that people tell me looks nice on me but i feel frumpy when i wear it.

I always take my size into account when i buy clothes as i think there is nothing worse than a big girl shoe horned into too small clothes or clothes that only a slim person could carry off.

Can you help please? TIA

MindingMum Fri 22-Aug-08 21:42:16

anyone please?

chocolatespiders Fri 22-Aug-08 21:45:03

not sure what is best...

i think the gypsy skirts make me look bigger i am same size ish....

have you looked at evans online they may have some on models

SqueakyPop Fri 22-Aug-08 21:47:20

You probably need something that flares out at the bottom in order to balance your top. If a gypsy skirt looks good, but you want something more fitted - try a something that has a kick pleat, or bias cut so that it is fitted over your tummy but flares out at knee level.

MindingMum Fri 22-Aug-08 22:07:23

well i think i'll go into town with my mum tomorrow and try some on cos she will give me an honest opinion as to how i look hmm usually something on the lines of "oh MindingMum, you look really big in that"

Thank-your for your help, i shall report back tomorrow smile

SueW Fri 22-Aug-08 22:08:16

I wear long, bias cut or a-line skirts. Very long. But I don't like my legs at all.

If you have good legs you could wear something shorter, I'm sure.

Have you looked at Trinny and Susannah Rules?

MindingMum Fri 22-Aug-08 22:22:52

oh thank-you Sue, that's brill

PinkyDinkyDooToo Sat 23-Aug-08 10:49:24

My Mum is about your size and only ever wears skirts, she thinks she looks bigger in trousers

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 23-Aug-08 12:05:36

I am a similar size and shape to you. I wear long bias cut skirts or straight-ish shorter ones. I think if you have slimmish hips or legs, and the skirt is straightish and then flares out lower down it can look quite slimming. I usually wear a hip length fairly fitted top, so I don't look too bulky - usually in a V with norks on display - if they look at my norks they won't notice my gut! <deluded>

A knee length A line skirt would probably look good too.

My mother always shouts out "Look!They've got these in big sizes!" And everyone turns round to see what heffalump is shopping there...!

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 23-Aug-08 12:06:12

Avoid anything with a gathered or elasticated waist as it will make you look huuuge!

cocolepew Sat 23-Aug-08 12:08:48

Some nice ones in Evans

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 23-Aug-08 12:11:52

Yes, that sort of thing (hate Evans though and hardly ever go there - remember the days when they used to be called Evans Outsize)

tortoiseSHELL Sat 23-Aug-08 12:14:35

I think bias cut skirts can accentuate your hips! I'm not huge (size 16), but find the most flattering skirts are ones with side openings - so flat front. I have a lovely denim long A line skirt, which is very nice!

Helium Sat 23-Aug-08 14:51:09

Maxi skirts!!! Try simplybe.co.uk - they have a few - I think they look really stylish (I have a plain black jersey one) and are very slightly flared. I avoid trousers to be honest as they just make my bottom half look bigger. Just dont wear them too high (ie right round the middle of your tum) more on the hips as they look less frumpy that way (just an inch or two makes a big difference!!!)

MindingMum Sat 23-Aug-08 16:09:11

Hi everyone, thank-you so much for that, well, i went out today and tried on every skirt in town!

I have come back with:
A plain dark brown denim type skirt, just above the knee that looks fab (so long as i wear a top that covers my belly grin)

A really long loose fitting one that hangs at different lenghts at the bottom - looks nice and doesn't show bulges

And a long dress that is fitted at the top and flares a little at the bottom that make me look so slim (or it will do in a couple of weeks when i can fasten the zip properly over my enormous, but rapidly decreasing norks grin)

MrsSchadenfreude - don't you just love your mum?!!!!

batters Sat 23-Aug-08 17:27:14

Coming to this a bit late, but that has never stopped me before.

Agree long denim a line skirts very lovely.

Also- the boden swishy skirts have received a big thumbs up from Mumsnetters and I rather like the one I have, I started wearing it when I was a size 18 bottom.

Ghost skirts good too, the long swishy ones.

Minding Mum - where did you get your dress from, it sounds lovely?

Lauriefairycake Sat 23-Aug-08 17:40:17

I am a lardarse too and have just bought two (same skirt different lengths blush) in M and S. It is very very flattering.

It's black flarey crepe with a white stitch down the front, fitted at top and flares out at bottom.

I bought the 24" and the 27" length and will be wearing it with very bright wine tights and a wine v-neck jumper and long knee length boots (fat calf ones from duo boots online)

It's this one at the bargainous price of £15 - the white stitch makes you look thinner.

www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B001C2CRT2/sr=1-6/qid=1219509550/ref=sr_1_6/202-7337869-7642211?i e=UTF8&node=&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=skirt&mnSBrand=core&size=63&rh=n%3A42966030%2Ck%3Askirt%2Cn%3 A42967030%2Cp%5F36%3AGBP15-GBP19.99&page=

MindingMum Sat 23-Aug-08 23:09:07

Hi batters - it was from TJ Hughes of all places. I would never have thought to look in there normally but was in to buy a handbag and spotted it.

My friend has just been round and tried to shoe-horn me into the dress but it's just not happening grin, well certainly not before Tuesday which is when i wanted it for angry

I am going to try another TJ's tomorrow to see if they have it in a 24

Lauriefairycake - will try that skirt on too

Thanks everybody xx

batters Sun 24-Aug-08 10:33:06

thank you MindingMum .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now