Talk

Advanced search

I need a lovely raincoat... please help me find one

(76 Posts)
thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 10:07:23

I was tempted by the cloud spotter mac in Boden, but not sure if it's going to be a bit plasticky and shapeless?

I want something pretty and lovely and waterproof and longish for when I am walking to nursery in the rain.

don't relly know where to start looking though

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 17:03:10

anyone?

Flightlite Mon 18-Aug-08 17:05:51

I have a Boden mac for sale if you are interetsed - it's purple with a red lining. Excellent condition - only worn once.

It's more rubbery than plasticky material - I've ordered the new cloud spotter as I prefer the new colours smile

SorenLorensen Mon 18-Aug-08 17:06:17

This is a sort of Holy Grail of Mumsnet - that's probably why you've not had any replies (every Mum in the world, since the dawn of time, has been looking for the same thing!) Despite lots of threads, we don't seem to have been able to find the perfect raincoat - Boden often seems to come close though.

SorenLorensen Mon 18-Aug-08 17:07:21

I have a hideous long, black Peter Storm thing with a hood - very waterproof but I do feel like a shapeless sack of spuds in a black bin bag in it grin

bobsyouruncle Mon 18-Aug-08 17:12:55

I have a hideous patterned cagoule, but it does the job grin

ahundredtimes Mon 18-Aug-08 17:14:05

I thought Boden had come up with one? Everyone thought they'd read The Perfect Raincoat thread.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 18-Aug-08 17:14:57

i got a berghaus switch of ebay new for £40 instead of £200 - its the best coat i have ever worn in the rain.

Flightlite Mon 18-Aug-08 17:14:57

Actually Boden have despatched mine so will let u know what it's like when it arrives. It looks plastickier than the old one.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 17:16:37

I lust after a Mat de Misaine raincoat but it's bloody expensive

Flightlite Mon 18-Aug-08 17:17:13

Berghaus sounds good. I also have (but had forgotten about!) a lovely red Liberty Macintosh - a real one - that was also an ebay bargain. I think they retailed at around £500 and mine cost £50...it's beautiful but a bit posh, feel a bit too smart wearing it really! I'm scared of creasing it or something...

Flightlite Mon 18-Aug-08 17:18:42

Can you do a link Mary Ann?

MehgaLegs Mon 18-Aug-08 17:18:58

I found a lovely one on the gudrunsjoden.co.uk website but the site is down at the moment. Similar to Boden but less shiney.

filthymindedvixen Mon 18-Aug-08 17:21:55

I'm not a Boden-y person, but I am rather taken by the Urban Mac with fleecy lining and removeable hood. But not at £75.65 though!

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 17:22:02

Flightlight - trying to find a link - I've seen them in a shop in Suffolk last week - they are £199 and very chic and French looking -I cannot possibly contemplate forking out for one at that price - there is a mail order place in Cornwall that used to stock them and the name has gone out of my head !

Flightlite Mon 18-Aug-08 17:53:54

Mehgalegs thankyou for that tip off - have never heard of them but went to look for site and have just ordered about a thousand pairs of glorious Swedish socks!! grin

Thankyou!

Mary Ann it sounds divine smile

What is it about raincoats?

MehgaLegs Mon 18-Aug-08 18:36:04

OOh I looked at those socks. They are loverly.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 18:53:04

see if any on ebay - the one I wanted was a pale blue with stripy lining - fab

brimfull Mon 18-Aug-08 20:12:09

I sent baxk the boden cloudspotter one,it is a plasric shapeless horror

Flightlite Mon 18-Aug-08 20:18:18

Is it GGirl? shock

Oh dear

Well at least I can now admit to having ordered the gorgeous one on Meh's site too blush

Also for some reason when I checked out it went to £56? Instead of 70

So will see how they compare as have 3 months to send back Boden one.

Thanks for letting me know!

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 20:28:04

see, I did have a boden rainyday coat last year that I got in the sale, but it was way too big so I sent it back and then they had none in my size

I did read a couple of reviews that the cloud spotter one was a bit shapeless.

am about to check out mehgalegs site.

it HAS to be pretty and patterned. to brighten up my otherwise dreary life.

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 20:30:48

ooooh now that might be it.
it looks a strange shape though,... hmm

brimfull Mon 18-Aug-08 20:42:40

I thik the rainyday one last yr was much nicer than the coudspotter this yr

brimfull Mon 18-Aug-08 20:43:36

the swedish one -is it waterproof,not sure it would look as stylish on my non swedish short arse

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Aug-08 20:43:46

yeah it was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now