Talk

Advanced search

Retinol, SPF

(16 Posts)
WeeM Sat 23-May-20 09:37:43

I’m thinking about jumping on the retinol bandwagon. I have oily skin so use a moisturiser for that (seaweed from body shop). I had acne in my teens and skin still isn’t great but starting to notice lines round my mouth now too. I don’t want to spend a ton of money either though. I’m thinking a 0.3% to start with, what would people recommend? I was going to put it in at night, do I still need an SPF? What type of SPF do people wear? I find anything with a high factor is just horrible on my oily skin and more so with make up over it. I usually wear double wear which is SPF10 but haven’t been during lockdown!

Any pearls of mumsnet wisdom much appreciated!

Alwaysthesun Sat 23-May-20 09:52:33

Yes you absolutely have to use an SPF if you use retinol. I use the Ordinary stuff. This was recommended to me and I really like it - you don't feel it on your skin at all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunscreen-Milk-SPF-50-sunscreen/dp/B00WE3XGAC

WeeM Sat 23-May-20 11:10:33

So do you use the spf in the morning if you use the retinol at night? And is that in place of moisturiser or do you moisturise too? Sorry if they are daft questions!

emsyj37 Sat 23-May-20 11:19:07

I use tretinoin at night and Biore Watery Gel factor 50 in the morning. Moisturiser first, then SPF, then makeup. I have oily acne prone skin and the Biore SPF doesn't clog my skin or affect the finish of my foundation. It isn't actually a Gel at all but it is not greasy.
You can find lots of info about retinol options on the Caroline Hirons blog or one of her YouTube videos. She has one about retinol for beginners I think. Nadine Baggott also does good informative videos about the different products and retinol options and strengths.

chocolateneededrn Sat 23-May-20 11:20:03

You need to wear SPF every day! No matter if it's sunny or not smile

chocolateneededrn Sat 23-May-20 11:20:24

Oh and moisturizer then SPF

BoomyBooms Sat 23-May-20 11:24:24

I have oily acne prone skin and I really like Boots SPF 50 facial suncream. I use that alone and don't need a moisturiser as well.

And another vote for The Ordinary retinol!

BoomyBooms Sat 23-May-20 11:24:40

Oops sorry, should have said Boots No7

IJustWantFiveMinutesAlone Sat 23-May-20 11:37:57

I ordered from cult beauty and loved the way the packing is all recyclable.

WeeM Sat 23-May-20 11:38:35

Great thanks for the advice. I had seen this Ordinary one and thought it looked a good place to start and a fab price.
www.beautybay.com/p/the-ordinary/retinol-02-in-squalane/

IJustWantFiveMinutesAlone Sat 23-May-20 11:38:37

Sorry meant to say I ordered The Ordinary one and use it at night but built it up slowly and used a vit c on the other nights zzz

IJustWantFiveMinutesAlone Sat 23-May-20 11:39:10

No idea what the zzz are about!! I think I need more sleep 😂

WeeM Sat 23-May-20 11:40:40

It must be good it’s sold out nearly everywhere!

timetest Sat 23-May-20 12:11:13

I use Ultrasun facial fluid which has spf50. I’ve been using Retin a for at least 20 years and it really has paid off for me.

Ardnassa Sat 23-May-20 12:24:36

You won't regret it. I have oily acne prone skin and have been seeing the most amazing dermatologist. Here is the generic stuff that I use. It has made the world of difference including on ageing front (and have worn spf on my face daily since I was 15, which has also helped)

Am
Cerave hydrating wash
Obagi 20% vit C serum
Skinoren (azelaic acid)
Avene moisturiser
LRP SPF 50+

PM
Tretinoin
Avene moisturiser

WeeM Sat 23-May-20 19:42:24

Thanks, lots to look at here! Def going to give it a go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »