Talk

Advanced search

What do fat people wear?

(66 Posts)
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:05:38

I’ve lost my way a bit, I’m very fat and living in jeggings and t-shirts and quite frankly boiling in this heat!

I’ve been looking at what other mums in the playground around my age and size and loose/lightweight patterned trousers with a plain top seemed popular so I’ve got myself some against my better judgment. They’re pretty loud and not something I’d usually wear but thought I looked ok. That was until my kids saw me and pissed themselves laughing. Argh!

What the hell am I supposed to wear??!

SolidarityGdansk Tue 12-Jun-18 18:07:25

When you say fat? What size?

I think the answer will depend on what you are classifying as fat.

Kenworthington Tue 12-Jun-18 18:09:56

Hmm well I’m a size 16/18 and today I am wearing an oversized jersey black drop waist dress (hush) and black flip flops. Hair in messy bun and big earrings. I think I look how I feel- comfy, cool of leg and I dare say maybe a bit stylish??

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:09:58

A size 14/16 on top and 18/20, so yeah, very fat.

Kenworthington Tue 12-Jun-18 18:10:53

I like the deliberately oversized style things so long as bottom half is kept either bare legged or skinny jeans

Kenworthington Tue 12-Jun-18 18:11:12

Jeez op, that’s not VERy fat at all.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:13:38

Size 18/20 on bottom that should be. I’d say that’s very fat, wouldn’t you? blush

Eesha Tue 12-Jun-18 18:14:06

Skinny jeans or girlfriend jeans, tight top plus say kimono or duster jacket? I was also in leggings till recently or too tight jeans but then revamped a bit and feel a whole lot better. Also made effort with hair and general upkeep ie eating healthier and more water, definitely helped my look!

SolidarityGdansk Tue 12-Jun-18 18:14:24

Chinos with a t shirt as an everyday look? Check out GAP online for larger sizes.

Only buy when they have an offer.

ScreamingValenta Tue 12-Jun-18 18:15:00

Just to say, I wouldn't take your children laughing at you as a sign not to wear the things you've bought; it was probably just because you were wearing something very different from what they're used to seeing. The style of outfit you describe sounds fine to me.

SleepFreeZone Tue 12-Jun-18 18:15:29

I’m just living in black leggings at the moment and either a skirt over the top and a t shirt or a short sleeved dress. It’s kind of working while I try and diet back into —all— my trousers 😬

Gottokondo Tue 12-Jun-18 18:15:56

Retro dresses or skater dresses. They look good on my ample bosom, give a hint of a waist and then flare out over my massive behind and upper legs. I do like shouty colours though.

SleepFreeZone Tue 12-Jun-18 18:15:58

Strike through fail 🤦🏻‍♀️

Eesha Tue 12-Jun-18 18:16:18

@Kenworthington, i didn't know hush did bigger sizes, I thought was for skinny people so I might take a second look. Your outfit sounds fab and sexy!

StewPots Tue 12-Jun-18 18:17:01

Errr I'm a size 16-18 (usually a size 14) but I still don't class myself as very fat OP. Yes I'm overweight by around 1.5stone, but that's it.

I wear denim shorts, long vests, Bandau tops and dresses, maxi dresses, 3/4length jeans, cami tops...loads of stuff. And I look pretty good! Yeah I wish I was a size 12-14 again but due to medication that's not going to happen so I just try lots of different stuff using inspiration from others, magazines, online, wherever.

Ironically my style has changed for the better as I've got bigger, and feel more confident to wear prints etc that I wouldn't have before. I intend to lose the weight, but keep my new styles!

Frogletmamma Tue 12-Jun-18 18:17:18

Black leggings and colourful tops. Like you my bot and thighs are where the problem is.

Kenworthington Tue 12-Jun-18 18:17:32

Well not to me but then I am more or less that size and quite happy with myself.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:18:13

I could do with a haircut too, haven’t been in years but the longer I leave it the more I find it harder to go.

Kenworthington Tue 12-Jun-18 18:19:00

@Eesha they go up to a 16/18 But their sizes are generous and they’re often oversized styles anyway

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:19:57

I live in black leggings around the house but because my bum and thighs are large, they go a bit thin there.

lardass88 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:20:17

Size 16/18. I'm into dresses at the minute. Elasticated waist, I look absolutely hideous in shorts, or skirts. So I've been on eBay and got four dresses to rotate over the summer when it's hot.

Invisimamma Tue 12-Jun-18 18:22:24

I’m similar size to you op - in fact bigger, 18/20 all round.

I wear cotton tea dresses and leggings, loose patterned trousers and plain vests, skinny jeans and t shirts, wide leg linen trousers, 3/4 cotton trousers and vests or tshirts.

I don’t think I look amazing but I’m comfy and cool 😎.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:22:52

I am overweight by a lot more than 1.5st. I’m about 18st so yes to me, that is very fat. I don’t know why people are saying I’m not when my bmi puts me at morbidly obese.

Kinda wishing I hadn’t asked now.

Thanks for all the advice given, am off to google your suggestions.

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 12-Jun-18 18:25:02

Loose trousers work well the heat. Just do t wear a baggy top with them (like me) as they will look like pyjamas.

BalloonFlowers Tue 12-Jun-18 18:28:31

If you like black leggings, I'd go for some new leggings, and a floaty top.
However, if your top is much slimmer than your bottom, why not look at some fitted tops, and some straight, wide legged trousers? I wear next or M&S wide legged linen blend trousers, and a teeshirt.
Have a play - see what you feel better in - loose tops or bottoms.
Bet the kids were more reacting to seeing something different rather than how you actually looked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: