Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Grey eyeliner that looks like shadow

(17 Posts)
Impostersyndrome Sun 01-Nov-15 17:34:10

I've noticed that some older women such as my self (50+) wear a grey coloured liner that looks more like a smudgy shadow than a sharp eyeliner would look - with a thickish line, rather than a thin sharp one of a standard liner. Does anyone know what I should be looking for?

I've tried all sorts of liners on the upper lid (lower lid is untouchable as my eyes water too much) - liquid, pencil, pens, but they immediately smudge due to my eye condition that makes them puffy and a bit bulgy (not withstanding my cack-handedness grin).

My eyes are brownish to hazel and I've pale skin.

Thanks in advance.

This is a shadow in a packet that allows you to use it like an eyeliner. It's pretty decent, and I say that as somebody who doesn't normally like No 7.

Or just use eyeshadow on a thin brush?

Impostersyndrome Sun 01-Nov-15 19:50:41

Thanks Remus, that looks like a very likely solution! And yes, I did consider eyeshadow on a thin brush, but I don't think my hands are steady enough. Also, the look I've seen seems to be more defined than a brush could create.

Anyway, I'll have a punt at this for £8.00 and report back.

Thanks again - Imposter.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 01-Nov-15 19:55:00

Most brands do something like this.

Personally I use a dark eyeshadow on a liner brush as prefer the softer look it gives.

Gatekeeper Sun 01-Nov-15 19:56:48

ooh Remus; I like the look of that- just what I had been looking for without even knowing it grin

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 01-Nov-15 19:57:26

this would look good with hazel eyes.

Charlotte Tilbury does a similar range and I think recommends specific ones for different eye colours.

Impostersyndrome Sun 01-Nov-15 20:22:08

Thanks MrsCampbellBlack. I'll order myself a liner brush as well while I'm at it and do some experimenting with my eyeshadows.

Nabootique Sun 01-Nov-15 20:22:09

Do you use a primer for eyes? If smudging is an issue and you're not using one I'd definitely recommend it. I love NARS and I have very oily eye lids. Everything smudged or creased before I discovered it.

Impostersyndrome Sun 01-Nov-15 20:28:01

Interesting you ask that Nabootique. Funnily enough, no. I feel very ignorant about make up, really. It seems there are so many thousands of product types out there that without expert guidance you could be spending a fortune (and time one hasn't got spare) in trying to get it right.

One of these days I'll book myself a make-up tutorial, if I can find a company that doesn't turn you into a grotesque mask, if you kow what I mean.

BrendaandEddie Sun 01-Nov-15 20:58:46

STOP RIGHT THERE! you need double wear eye pencil in smoke. It's exactly what you want. I too have green eyes and don't like a hard line. Comes with a smudger on the end too

BrendaandEddie Sun 01-Nov-15 21:01:09

m.esteelauder.co.uk/product/631/34101/Product-Catalog/Makeup/Double-Wear/Stay-in-Place-Eye-Pencil

southeastastra Sun 01-Nov-15 21:06:34

i like the nars paint here used with this brush the nars paint lasts for ages and goes on well

Nabootique Sun 01-Nov-15 21:23:07

I know exactly what you mean. Don't go to the Benefit counter!

Loftyjen Sun 01-Nov-15 21:30:50

I use the No7 eye shadowy liner as mentioned by Remus (no where near 50, but complete lack of technique to do wings!) and think it'll be ideal for what you describe wink

whitershadeofpale Sun 01-Nov-15 21:39:23

There's some great videos on YouTube to help you learn. I recommend the Lisa Eldridge ones, she's a makeup artist for celebrities and editorial shoots and I find she explains things really well and her videos are less complicated than others.

Impostersyndrome Sun 01-Nov-15 22:17:50

Thanks all! What a helpful bunch you are. Ok. I'm signing off now for the night, but first break I have tomorrow I've some serious homework to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now