Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Work Clothes

(13 Posts)
TheCatsWhiskers Thu 22-Oct-15 09:36:28

Looking for some inspiration for work clothes please, I start a new job in a couple of weeks and can't seem to find anything.

I'm looking for smart trousers, skirts, tops etc. I tend not to wear suits as they just don't seem to look good on me.

I tend to shop at Next but am looking to try something else. Help! smile

pdxs Thu 22-Oct-15 10:39:47

there is a good blog called workwear edit
and LOTS of workwear threads on here in last few weeks

amarmai Thu 22-Oct-15 10:48:31

have you considered dresses?

TheCatsWhiskers Thu 22-Oct-15 11:45:40

Thanks pdxs the blog looks really good. I'll do a search on the forum too. Should have done that first, sorry.

amarmai I meant to add dresses as well, although I hate showing my arms and find most dresses are sleeveless so I have to wear a cardigan. I would love to find some dresses with sleeves.

pdxs Thu 22-Oct-15 15:42:42

not at all... its just that there has been SO much discussion on it recently that I am not sure have much to add that not said already! There are also lots of discussions on capsule wardrobes. My main tip would be to try stores' online outlets - jaeger & hobbs, but many other brands seem to have this (prev years collections sold online - for workwear not like its going to go out of fashion)

good luck with new job!

TheCatsWhiskers Thu 22-Oct-15 16:25:46

Thanks grin

I'll have a look at Hobbs, I really like their stuff.

EmilyPunkhurst Thu 22-Oct-15 19:00:06

Have a look at Finery too.

BlueEyedWonder Thu 22-Oct-15 19:48:32

I like Banana Republic for workwear.

TheCatsWhiskers Thu 22-Oct-15 19:49:52

EmilyPunkhurst I love this website now, how have I never heard of it before?

This is exactly what I've been looking for, thank you so much grin

EmilyPunkhurst Thu 22-Oct-15 20:03:11

You're welcome. 15% off your first order too (if you sign up) - what's not to like!

TheCatsWhiskers Thu 22-Oct-15 20:59:24

Oh dear, think I may need a second job now to finance all the new clothes I have found confused

SP25 Thu 22-Oct-15 21:13:05

Hi Catswhiskers,

What type of work will you be doing? More formal environment? Or relaxed?

You want to have a few wardrobe staples that if you invest well will take you over several seasons even a lifetime.

Wardrobe staples are best to be in neutral colours ( i.e grey, blue, cream , black , white) as these don't go out of season and are timeless. Some items you want to include black trousers, dark denim, white blouse/white shirt, pencil skirt ( don't be afraid to try out regardless of your shape), a textured knitwear, a black blazer, good shoes ( flats are in season now ) else heels and ankle boots.

To suggest brands , if you can let me know your body shape type that would help with brand suggestions.

Hope this helps.

SP

didireallysaythat Thu 22-Oct-15 21:21:48

I buy second hand jaegar and Hobbes dresses off eBay. I partner sleeveless or short sleeved dresses with long cardigans - the sort that cone to the bottom of the dress if you get what I mean. Black or navy, black or navy Cardigan, detailed necklace, bit of colour in the form of nail varnish (cheaper than most accessories) and sometimes a scarf. If the background is fairly neutral people don't realise you wear the same thing most days, they just remember the green scarf, the red nails, the big necklace etc. Quite a cheap way to get something you can wear most days and then splash out a little more on something else later.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: