Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tights or bare legs to the office?

(30 Posts)
retrocutie Sat 02-Feb-13 07:37:02

Can I ask you stylish people whether you wear tights or leave your legs bare if you are wearing a skirt to the office? I have always worn tights, but they feel a bit old-fashioned now. Just wondering what everyone else did. Thanks.

tabbycat15 Sat 02-Feb-13 07:42:58

I only wore bare leg if I had a tan or self tan in the summer when it was really hot. I think's more professionals to wear tights/ stockings. Skirt should be below the knee length if bare legged. I don't think very white legs & short skirts look right especially if seeing clients.

retrocutie Sat 02-Feb-13 07:46:51

No, I agree on having to have some kind of tan. I normally have a fake tan.

retrocutie Sat 02-Feb-13 07:47:21

So tabby, what tights do you wear, may I ask?

I go barelegged to the office if it's hot - our air con is not the best and I hate feeling clammy. Only ever wear skirts/dresses that are below the knee though, so would agree with tabby. I use Sally Hansen Airbrush legs/fake tan/ real tan, if you only fake tan your legs and the rest of you is not tanned it can look odd grin

Rebecca54 Sat 02-Feb-13 08:51:10

I only tend to wear skirts to work in the late spring/summer and then wear tights or stockings with them. I wouldn't feel right somehow meeting clients bare legged.

aftermay Sat 02-Feb-13 08:59:42

Bare legs, longer skirts than in winter when I have black tights.

tabbycat15 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:03:49

I'm in Perth Australia, been here 10 years now & haven't worn tights at all. I used to wear Pretty Polly if they still make tights or m & s, boots or sock shop. I used to wear the nude shimmering ones or black opaque thick ones in the winter. I work as a beauty therapist not in an office any more so wear black trousers & a beauty tunic.

Trills Tue 05-Feb-13 14:04:17

Bare legs? In February?

Trills Tue 05-Feb-13 14:04:56

It depends a lot on how formal your office is. If everyone is wearing suits and equivalent then bare legs might look too casual.

Eliza22 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:08:49

Bare legs. Really ?

In high summer - why not?

Eliza22 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:55:34

Apologies... I am an eejit.

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Tue 05-Feb-13 18:54:40

Depends on the type of office, but it's considered not at all professional to go bare legged where I work.

I wear hold ups rather than tights. M&S hold ups are usually pretty good colour-wise and manage to stay put - no falling down/sagging during the day.

GettingObsessive Tue 05-Feb-13 19:06:10

Definitely tights. Apart from the fact that my legs are not fit to be seen, I feel more clammy, not less, without tights <fat thighs emoticon>

I also think its unprofessional. Men have to wear ties (mostly) so I think it's appropriate to wear tights.

If you're wearing hold ups don't do what a contact if my DH did and wear a skirt that rides up so the tops of the hold ups can be seen. Apparently it was quite distracting grin

Unprofessional hmm, no I don't agree. Provided the skirt is the right length and the legs are the right hue then it doesn't look unprofessional, on a hot day.

Most of the leg make up products give the impression you are wearing very sheer tights any way from the way they look on the leg, so to the untrained reasonably distant eye, you wouldn't be able to see it.

I suppose it depends on how close your colleagues get grin

ooer Tue 05-Feb-13 19:19:49

I live in Scotland and always wear tights at the office with a skirt, summer or winter. I think it looks a bit casual not to. I find the fabric of the skirt makes a bigger different to whether I feel clammy.

Well, in Scotland it's understandable as it's always fecking freezing and you need protection from the hordes of midges wink

ooer Tue 05-Feb-13 19:54:07

It is sometimes warm in my part of Scotland ...! but not often too hot, I admit.

1stMrsFrugal Tue 05-Feb-13 23:51:13

I think it very unprofessional to go bare-legged but I think it may be an old fashioned view these days. I'm jut going back to work after a gap and I'm not sure whether its become a bit more acceptable? I really like M&S bare cooling tights when its very hot - they are very thin but quite ladder resistant so they last well considering how light they are.

I am wondering the other way whether its OK to wear opaques with suit? I am used to my thermal wooly tights and furlined boots in this weather and wearing sheers and heels is going to be a shock!

ALittleLemonTwist Wed 06-Feb-13 10:16:27

I'm a SAHM now but my last job was in an uber conservative office in the city where it was definitley frowned upon to go bare legged (and also open toe shoes). The place I worked before that was more relaxed so I often ditched the tights in the warmer months. So I think it definitley depends on where you work.

EuroShagmore Wed 06-Feb-13 11:51:03

Tights. Dark opaques or similar in winter, nudes in spring/summer. I only go without on really hot days when I am wearing peep toe heels to the office.

RamblingRosa Wed 06-Feb-13 12:17:16

Definitely bare legged in the summer. And it definitely depends where you work. I know some workplaces have quite strict dress codes and bare legs would be frowned upon.

CointreauVersial Wed 06-Feb-13 13:20:16

Tights and boots/shoes in the winter; bare legs and sandals in the summer. Trousers in between! Having said that, our office is not mega-smart, and I don't come into contact with clients.

It goes without saying I don't abandon my tights until my pins have their spring de-fuzz, exfoliate and fake tan. grin

Popcornia Wed 06-Feb-13 18:30:44

Absolutely no bare legs unless it's over 35 degrees and everyone is sweltering to death. Frankly, that happens so rarely in this country that it pretty much means tights are a year-round requirement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now