Talk

Advanced search

Part 3- Fully fledged perfumistas- share your fragrances

(987 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:27:17

Part 2 is nearly full!

IsabelleRinging Wed 30-Jan-13 08:02:06

Very frustrated here, really want to try my samples but have a nasty cold and can't smell or taste a thing!

My soon to be 70 mum rang today, she has asked me to get he lancome's La Vie est Belle, not sure what to think about that really hmm.

kiwigirl42 Wed 30-Jan-13 08:25:24

thanks for that website shoe I'm really interested in The Scent of Departure perfumes. Anyone tried them?

kiwigirl42 Wed 30-Jan-13 08:27:57

williaminajetfighter Loukhoum has a really weird plasticky note which I find also in some other very sweet gourmands.

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 08:30:11

coffe- thanks for the warning about Bal a Versailles. I hate the dirty knicker smells and I got that from Shiseido's Feminite du bois and also Worth's Courtesan. They smell awful on me- really like an unwashed gusset!

Isabelle, La Vie est Belle isn't bad but it's too praline/caramel for my taste. It's quite a pretty scent though. It's been well received and Dona Ana liked it- so it must be good. I miss her already.

Fuzzybirds Wed 30-Jan-13 10:59:02

Kiwi, just had a look at The Scent of Departure range and am very intrigued. Not many reviews on fragrantica yet though.

I'm testing the last of my L'Artisan samples today- Coeur de Vetiver Sacre. I like this one, it's like smelling lovely aromatic tea with a bit of woodiness and smokiness and some other things my unsophisticated nose can't make out. Another very subtle one though, perhaps better suited to spring/ summer.

Bal a Versailles and Boudoir are on my 'to try' list but I'm a bit wary of testing them in public. If I end up smelling like old pants I'd rather do so in the privacy of my own home grin

shoeprincess2 Wed 30-Jan-13 11:21:16

Boudoir is filthy grin. I was in the Vivienne Westwood shop, as my friend was buying one of the necklaces (quite nice actually and reasonably priced). I had a squirt of it, but it really is too cumin-y and sweaty for my liking. That said, my friend kept getting wafts of it and absolutely loved it. So, maybe you can test in public as maybe it doesn't smell sweaty to others!

IsabelleRinging Wed 30-Jan-13 13:31:38

Boudoir is one of my favourites. It will certainly get you noticed and men love it. I used to wear it to go out in when it first came out and I never had so many men ask me what perfume I was wearing. I think Portrait of a Lady is in the same family and I love that too. You won't smell like pants grin, they just have a subtle muskiness to them.

La Vie Est Belle is nice, just not sure I can imagine it on my normally Youth Dew wearing mum, it strikes me as a 'young' fragrance. If she likes it though I don't suppose it matters. Kind of ironic if she wore it while I wear my L'heure Bleu.

Fuzzybirds Wed 30-Jan-13 14:09:17

You've both convinced me now, I shall hunt out some Boudoir this weekend. I'll be interested to see what dh thinks of it, the only perfume he really takes notice of on me is Coco and everything else is just 'nice'

I love all the perfumes my Mum used to wear, I suppose as they remind me of childhood and growing up- especially Paris and Ysatis. Kudos to your Mum for trying something new though, mine has stuck with Pleasures for years!

IsabelleRinging Wed 30-Jan-13 16:25:31

My nose has cleared a little bit this afternoon so I sprayed a little Coromandel sample on my wrists. OMG I think I love this perfume. Even with my cold I can smell it wafting up to my nose, it is so warm and ambery fuzzy smelling but it has that dirty/earthy quality (patchouli?) which stops it being too gourmand and sickly and gives it a little edgyness. I can see this one making to my 'buy a full bottle' list.

Viviennemary Wed 30-Jan-13 16:40:29

I've just bought a bottle of Apres l'Ondee. It was expensive but I'm not usually extravagant. Quite a few places had sold out. Haven't read all the perfume threads so I hope it isn't going to be discontinued. I got some testers of Jo Malone too. I liked the Orange Blossom and the Jasmine and Mint. This thread is making me want to buy lots of perfume!

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 17:03:28

I doubt they'll discontinue Apres L'Ondee. It's been around since 1906. I found it quite cold and melancholy, but whatever I think, you've got yourself a Classic there.

clb Wed 30-Jan-13 17:08:55

Yes, IsabelleRinging, I loved the Coromandel I tried yesterday so much that I ordered a sample from The Perfumed Court this morning (+ one of Bois des Iles).

And some Serge Lutens samples from Les Senteurs, too.

I can still smell the L'air du désert marocain I put on after my shower last night. Incredible longevity and such warmth.

CointreauVersial Wed 30-Jan-13 17:09:37

Fuzzy, I'm having a Coromandel day today too. It was the last of my sample, but I've already splashed out on a 10ml decant, so no worries (too tight to buy a whole bottle).

I have a sample of Bal a Versailles which I too tried on a rainy Sunday when I wasn't planning to leave the house.grin It was nicer than I expected, and DH quite liked it, although he recoiled slightly at first. It is very classy and definitely one to try.

CointreauVersial Wed 30-Jan-13 17:10:30

Not fuzzy, isabelle!

coffeeinbed Wed 30-Jan-13 18:12:41

I've let you all down today.
I didn't put any perfume on.
in my defence it was 6:50 in the morning.

niminypiminy Wed 30-Jan-13 18:15:57

Viviennemary Après L'Ondee is wonderful - I'm wearing it now - I think it's such a beautiful smell. I love it so much that sometimes I wonder if I should get a second bottle in case it is discontinued (there are rumours around about this happening), and it is very hard to get hold of. Also I find that I use quite a lot of it so even a 100ml bottle (which is what I have) won't last forever. But so, so beautiful - worth every penny in my book.

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 18:23:55

Whaaaat??? discontinuing Apres L'Ondee??? I simply can't believe it. There'll be another revolution in Paris.

Viviennemary Wed 30-Jan-13 18:59:55

I thought about getting another bottle too. But I did try to find out if it was being discontinued. It has been in the USA apparently. If it's been around since 1906 trust me just to have discovered it now! It is lovely though. I just have to keep spraying a little bit more on and I only got it this morning. I quite like the sound of L'Heure Bleue as well. But must wait a respectable amount of time before splashing out again.

coffeeinbed Wed 30-Jan-13 19:09:16

Well, they did discontinue the perfume, so who knows..
there was a write up in Red Mag today about Frederic Malle's five favourite fragrances - Apres L'Ondee is one - he calls it his "happy perfume".

Viviennemary Wed 30-Jan-13 20:26:30

What were the others coffee?

coffeeinbed Wed 30-Jan-13 20:47:01

Dries van Noter for Frederic Malle - his new one.
Mitsouko - his favourite classic

also the smell of Casablanca Lily
and Cafe Society Candle - the best - according to him - candle.
That was his five favourite smells.
A bit biased, but it's understandable.

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 21:24:07

I heard Karl Lagerfeld wore Apres L'Ondee. I can imagine it smelling pretty good on a man.

niminypiminy Wed 30-Jan-13 21:44:24

Oh no! Karl Lagerfeld cannot be my smelly-likey! He's far too creepy!

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 22:02:51

He's just wearing it to be difficult! I expect he's a right little madam in RL.

niminypiminy Thu 31-Jan-13 07:14:23

I'm sure he is. At least if KL wears it then Guerlain are unlikely to discontinue après l'Ondee -- can you imagine the huge fashion his hissy fit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now