Talk

Advanced search

Lip primer - do I need to shell out for MAC?

(10 Posts)
notMarlene Thu 25-Oct-12 16:30:21

I'm after something for under a very matte lipstick to help it stay put longer and ease the (slight) drying it causes. Word has it that MAC is the best (and IME it often is) but I'd rather pay less if I can. THe MAC stuff it 17.50 euros for 1.5 grams which makes it almost exactly twice as expensive, gram for gram, as me lippy!

That said, I don't fancy spending a fortune on trying a series of cheaper things that don't cut the mustard and then buying the MAC anyway either. So, can anyone tell me what to do for the best? I'm not in the UK so UK supermarket stuff is out of my reach.

notMarlene Thu 25-Oct-12 16:34:09

(boots / superdrug and the like are unavailable too)

MooMinCow Thu 25-Oct-12 18:30:10

hello again grin

E.L.F cosmetics do one (never tried it though). they do have some great (cheap) stuff - the studio line in particular (love the cream eyeshadow pots).

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 11:15:29

Thanks moomin - I'll see if I can find some reviews.

FaffTastic Fri 26-Oct-12 11:54:07

Does putting a tiny bit of foundation across your lips before applying lipstick not act the same as lip primer?

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 12:00:15

Dunno - I don't wear foundation.

FaffTastic Fri 26-Oct-12 12:30:31

Ok - just thought if you did it would be cheaper than shelling out extra for a seperate lip primer which is essentially a foundation for lips

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 12:39:33

Really confused

I'm clueless on the foundation front, thought it was primer>foundation>blusher & highlighter, which is 1/2 rhe reason I've never bothered with the stuff.

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 12:40:39

I could get some foundation I suppose, would it not just mix in and feck up the colour of my lippy?

MooMinCow Sat 27-Oct-12 10:55:59

depends what you want the primer to do IMO. if you need to even skin tone use concealer/foundation (but can be drying). if you need it for moisturising and to improve colour longevity go for the balm type?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now