Talk

Advanced search

Nail varnish addicts, recommend me some brands please

(25 Posts)
Hopefully Mon 15-Oct-12 17:08:42

I have decided I need to upgrade from the 300 year old crusty nail varnishes I have been using, but have no idea what brands are good.

I use an OPI basecoat and alternate between Seche Vite and an OPI topcoat (the OPI one seems to last better, but SV dries quicker), but is OPI really worth the dosh for nail varnish?

myalias Mon 15-Oct-12 17:53:27

Can recommend Nails Inc. If you have a good base and top coat Rimmel have some fashionable shades.

AGhoulfromtheCrypt Mon 15-Oct-12 18:11:54

Rimmel do a really good range (called "Pro", I think) which has a wide, flat brush - you can do a whole nail in one sweep. I prefer it to OPI!

TheMouseDancing Mon 15-Oct-12 18:13:43

I would also recommend Nails Inc, they have a really good range of colours and last much longer that any other nail varnishes I have used.

BlameItOnTheCuervForHumanBlood Mon 15-Oct-12 18:20:38

I like opi, but I prefer models own and nails inc. Barry m has some great polishes too, their glitter topcoat is ace. I also like essie and no7 for "grown up" shades.

I use cheapsmells and fragrance direct as well as tk maxx. I never pay full price,

Hopefully Mon 15-Oct-12 20:27:15

Thank you for a the ideas! Will get cheap Rimmel fix tomorrow and check out prices of the others.

The3Bears Mon 15-Oct-12 20:34:12

I love the Essie ones, they do them in boots now and there 3 for 2 atm.

QueenCadbury Mon 15-Oct-12 20:41:27

Agree that nails inc is great. The others that are long lasting are rimmel and mavala. I find revlon and essie ok. Chanel is rubbish.

hermioneweasley Mon 15-Oct-12 20:43:39

I haven't found anything as good as leighton Denny

CunningPlan Mon 15-Oct-12 20:51:19

I have just bought some lovely ones from Topshop. Fab duochromatic colours.

Be careful, there are now a bunch of us in competition with our exciting nail polish...

NellVarnish Mon 15-Oct-12 20:53:10

<stands up> I am Nell Varnish and I am a nail varnish addict. blush

When money is no object, I love OPI, China Glaze and Models Own. And Nails Inc are very good, and Deborah Lippman very sparkly. I use OPI Nail Envy as a base coat and strengthener and Seche Vite as a top coat. All have fab range of lovely colours. Have you got an iPhone? OPI do a great app.

When I'm not so flush, Rimmel v. good and long lasting and you can sometimes get them in Poundland! No 7 quite good but limited colours and DD1 says Asda ones at £1.75 are long lasting. Oh and E.L.F. she's chipping in to say.

Oh dear. I've rambled on. blush

Hopefully Mon 15-Oct-12 22:09:56

grin Nell

So many wonderful recommendations! Thanks everyone, I will have fun trying them all out.

Now if anyone can just suggest me a nice forest green nail varnish too I'll be a happy girl...

For cheapish, I really like Revlon.

LulaPalooza Mon 15-Oct-12 22:27:24

There's an OPI App?!
<faints>

My fvaes are Essie, Nails Inc and, for expensive polish, Dior. I love Chanel as well but it chips like a bastard.

I should change my name to Lula PolishAddict, I think.

I'm on 3 different nail threads tonight. Apologies if I forget which one I'm on and end up repeating myself.

MacAndCheese Mon 15-Oct-12 22:30:03

Ooh does anyone have any experience of the Barry M effects polishes? I like the look of the magnetic ones..

BlameItOnTheCuervForHumanBlood Mon 15-Oct-12 22:36:49

my friend uses them, and they are ace. I got the web effect one free when I bought 2 normal (I got it in orange) and thats brilliant too

MacAndCheese Mon 15-Oct-12 22:40:59

Ooh thank you! Looks like I'm going shopping tomorrow...

NinthWave Mon 15-Oct-12 22:45:55

I've got the dark blue Barry M magnetic polish on today and it's fab. the gold glitter crackle is also v nice.

NinthWave Mon 15-Oct-12 22:46:13

<waggles nails> at Cuervo grin

NellVarnish Mon 15-Oct-12 22:47:13

Hopefully I got chucked off the C25k thread for too much nail varnish chatter, wink and not enough running. blush

China glaze Starboard is a v v v nice green.

Lula YES! an OPI app. Tis tres gorgeoise!

I agree about Chanel, chips like a bugger.

Boots 17 magnetic very good as well and not much £££.

NellVarnish Mon 15-Oct-12 22:48:33

Three different nail threads you say?

<disappears in a puff of smoke>

louwn Mon 15-Oct-12 22:49:12

3Bears noooo don't tell me that....am addiced to essie!

BlameItOnTheCuervForHumanBlood Mon 15-Oct-12 22:52:48

grin Ninthwave.

I love nail talk, there are some colours that just cheer me up.
L'oreal resist and shine is very good. really durable

this is the site I use. free delivery too

BlameItOnTheCuervForHumanBlood Mon 15-Oct-12 22:55:45

Essie from £1.99

MissFoodie Tue 16-Oct-12 10:36:23

my faves (when I used to wear) were OPI and Essie, but if on a budget then Rimmel (only use gel now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now