Which is the best home hair dye to use?

I've never dyed my own hair before and I'm a chicken

SaggyHairyArse Sat 03-Sep-11 10:38:39

http://www.boots.com/en/Garnier-Herbashine-550-mahogany_1107028/

kittyispretty Sat 03-Sep-11 19:21:29

loreal preference in 'havana' or garnier nutrisse do some good mahogany colours
good luck

AnnaThePenguin Sat 03-Sep-11 19:34:05

I bought the colour this afternoon at the supermarket but I'm having a wobble in case it's too dark and I don't like it blush

whojimmyflip Sat 03-Sep-11 19:38:13

Tatty Devine is very useful on these threads. Beware that bleached hair is more porous and high street hair dyes are darker than they claim - mid brown is dark brown, dark brown is almost black etc. Tatty often reccomends clairol nice and easy as I think they are more true to their description. Remember you can go darker but you wont be able to go lighter once you go darker ( so beware of going too dark)

CountrylifeMummy Sat 03-Sep-11 20:09:12

Be careful with home hair dye.
If you have blond highlights and want to go brown you run the risk of ending up with a khaki green look! I speak from experience...
At a salon they will probably put a pre toner on you hair first to avoid such green tones. A warm colour will help this too.

toddlerama Sat 03-Sep-11 20:11:59

Use a semi permanent, not a permanent. If there is a Sally's near you, try and get a salon quality product instead. The ammonia and peroxide in a permanent dye will be detrimental to your hair's condition and you already have highlights...

The semi-permanent will cling to the highlighted portions anyway. If you don't like it, you can use a product called Colour B4 by Scott Cornwall and remove it. I have it on my hair right now. It stinks of egg though. You have been warned...

toddlerama Sat 03-Sep-11 20:12:35

Mahogany wont go green. It has a red base. Ash browns are the ones to watch for green.

AnnaThePenguin Sat 03-Sep-11 20:57:33

Am seriously scared to put it on now

<<wibble>>

TattyDevine Sat 03-Sep-11 21:19:29

Do a strand test!!!

It should be fine. You might be a bit struck with how dark it is if you use a 550.

You could try coming down a few shades in the right direction by usaing Nice n Easy Light Chestnut brown instead of a 550 which is a medium.

There is also a light caramel brown which is a shade warmer but also lighter than a 550.

You could also try a medium caramel brown which would be pretty similar to 550 to be fair.

AnnaThePenguin Sun 04-Sep-11 07:17:21

ok will head to the supermarket later and get some of those tatty - thank you

nikkinoonoo Mon 05-Sep-11 16:28:13

A couple of years ago my hair was bright blonde and i decided to go mahogony! I home dyed it and it looked lovely and because it has red in it it will not go green! Best of luck you can doooooo it!! X

AnnaThePenguin Mon 05-Sep-11 17:13:36

haven't done it yet - am still nervous lol Will probably do it tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now