Talk

Advanced search

Tights vs no tights?!

(18 Posts)
Oneofthemaddingcrowd Tue 05-Jul-11 22:56:54

Sorry, longtime lurker here. I have an event at work tomorrow and need this answered once and for all!

When wearing a skirt suit to work, is it acceptable to have bare legs or are nude tights/hold-ups more appropriate? Can we have a vote?

(just thought I'd share that I typed "pull-ups" instead of hold-ups first... you'd never guess I'd just returned to work after far much time at home with DD!)

HellonHeels Tue 05-Jul-11 23:19:00

Just my opinion but I don't like bare legs for formal office wear. Though I have to say, a look around on the underground or at work makes me think I'm in a minority with that view.

ggirl Tue 05-Jul-11 23:20:10

holdups unless you have perfect tanned legs

cremeeggsbenedict Tue 05-Jul-11 23:21:10

A minority of two, HellonHeels! I don't think bare legs are appropriate at formal/work times. Bare legs are OK for casual wear or on the beach, but tights/hold-ups should be worn for work etc.

Oneofthemaddingcrowd Tue 05-Jul-11 23:27:29

Hmm, looks like it's a no to bare legs... which is what I suspected really. Just not sure I can stomach the whole nude hosiery thing... but agree it is probably preferable to the alternative.

Oneofthemaddingcrowd Tue 05-Jul-11 23:29:02

Oh and I will be doing my own research on tube and at work tomorrow!

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Tue 05-Jul-11 23:30:21

I'm in the public sector and wear bare legs and holiday sun. But we are all slackers in the public sector.

Oneofthemaddingcrowd Tue 05-Jul-11 23:40:09

Joleen you have given me some hope! I'm not really in a city job, more like a charity but there are occasions where i need to r a suit. So I suppose my question is: even if it's acceptable, do bare legs + suit (+ closed-toe shoes) look odd?

CointreauVersial Tue 05-Jul-11 23:52:31

No tights here! But I work in a fairly small office, so not mega-smart, and I have lovely tanned pins.wink

herecomesthsun Wed 06-Jul-11 00:46:50

I wear smart professional workwear with closed toe shoes and no tights in summer. I feel more comfortable doing this with a skirt well over my knees though.

herecomesthsun Wed 06-Jul-11 00:48:54

PS I also try to find closed toe shoes with some sort of ventilation around the foot in the design!

MissBeehiving Wed 06-Jul-11 08:15:17

I'm a solicitor and I wear no tights/holdups in summer as long as my legs are tanned. If your skirt isn't short then it looks fine.

HeavyHeidi Wed 06-Jul-11 09:29:25

Lawyer, work, office, suit, bare legs here. It's 35 degrees here and no way I'm putting more clothes on than absolutely necessary.

HappyAsIAm Wed 06-Jul-11 12:57:38

I'm a lawyer too, and I haven't worn tights for quite a while. I am still smart though - nice dress for work, usually. I do wear open toe shoes though - still smart. The thought of doing a commute in tights at the moment (although its quite a bit cooler in London today) is awful.

I do fake tan my legs though, but that's a self-confidence thing. It just makes me feel better. I use Make Believe from Boots in light to medium, and I use the wash off one in case I make a dreadful mistake (which has been done before!).

MissBeehiving Wed 06-Jul-11 16:34:05

grin at all the subversive lawyers going commando in the office.

CeliaFate Wed 06-Jul-11 18:47:31

Can some kind soul link me to an acceptable (ie non American Tan) shade of tights for Summer? I wouldn't want to go bare legged with a skirt, but struggle to find something that looks good.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Wed 06-Jul-11 19:49:33

M and s do good ones

WineAndPizza Wed 06-Jul-11 22:23:37

Bare legs is fine I think as long as they're well groomed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now