Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ please can you clamp down on anti autism threads?

(128 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:07:21

For weeks now autism and autistic people have been targeted by thread after thread using inflammatory language, negative stereotypes and connotations and just general ignorance. Why is this allowed to happen? Autism is a recognised disability and as such is covered by discrimination laws. Why is it that people, despite education being widely available and offered on here by parents, are allowed to dismiss/deny/minimise autism in a way that would never be considered acceptable for any other disability? @MNHQ

LivininaBox Thu 21-Sep-17 16:09:23

Can't say i've noticed this. Can you give some examples?

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:11:27

They’re all over AIBU and have been for weeks. I can’t do specifics or it will end up being deleted for a TAAT but there are two on AIBU right now.

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:12:02

And there’s one in Newbie’s Corner

ParsnipLeekAndLemonSoup Thu 21-Sep-17 16:12:28

Where?!

Anecdoche Thu 21-Sep-17 16:16:22

i dont think such people have even the slightest understanding about autism.

if they did they wouldnt suggest that every sack of shit behaving like a turd might be "on the spectrum"

they wouldnt bang on about lack of empathy

they wouldnt suggest the behaviours are a choice and say 'they' need to 'learn' ( you know, like being blind is a choice and you need to learn to see. like having no legs is a choice and you need to learn to walk...)

such people know jack shit about autism.
and they spout their uninformed opinions based on lazy stereotypes.

i just thank fuck people seem to have forgotten rainman or i'd be doing time by now.

i actually had a so called professional involved with my kids tell me how "we are all on the spectrum really..."

fuck me. you just cant get it through if you use a hammer and chisel.

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:18:54

@Anecdoche that’s exactly the kind of attitudes I’m talking about. Sadly they’re rampant on here, scathing, disdainful, dismissive and sometimes straight up nasty. 4 out of 5 in our house are autistic and if these people only knew the impact that perpetuating such damaging and nasty myths about autism did I wonder if they’d continue.

Actually I don’t, I’m sure they would.

SerfTerf Thu 21-Sep-17 16:21:01

Yes please.

biscuitmillionaire Thu 21-Sep-17 16:21:39

Can you give us a recent quote from a post so we know what you're talking about. My current active list doesn't show any threads related to autism.

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:23:19

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/newbies_corner/3036715-Noisy-neighbours-with-autistic-son

SerfTerf Thu 21-Sep-17 16:23:55

The poster who was earnestly explaining to me the other day that it's difficult to differentiate between "bastards" and aspies "because you can't just decide to diagnose someone yourself" (😳🙄😡) is still merrily posting away I noticed.

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:24:07

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3039273-about-those-on-the-autistic-spectrum-in-mainstream-schools

OP is great in this one but there’s a very nasty poster who is apparently a HT saying awful things unchallenged by MNHQ.

Anecdoche Thu 21-Sep-17 16:24:43

i dont think theyd care.

it doesnt take a lot to understand. in this day and age if you dont its because you either live in a hole or you dont want to.

my eldest is suicidal. my youngest can barely function day to day with the torture of sensory overload.

the world does far more to them than they would or could ever do. they are two of the kindest, gentlest, most wonderful people i have ever known and the so called 'normal' world treats them like shit, day in day out.

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:24:47

Bloody hell Serf did the comment get left up??? That’s horrific!

CloudPerson Thu 21-Sep-17 16:25:49

Well said OP.
Any thread about autism in AIBU tends to be either started by a goady fucker or well meaning but attracts ignorant goady fuckers.
Those of us who are autistic and/or have autistic children are not here for entertainment.
A thread dismissing a physical disability would be closed down and the intent of either the OP or certain posters seen immediately. Autism is apparently fair game hmm

SerfTerf Thu 21-Sep-17 16:25:58

No the whole thread went so her amazing insight went with it (she wasn't the OP).

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:26:14

I’m sorry to hear that Anecdoche

I keep telling people, it’s not my kids who are the problem, it’s other people’s inflexiblity and lack of empathy (the irony is not lost on me) that makes their lives harder than it needs to be!

HattiesBackpack Thu 21-Sep-17 16:26:14

Glad you've posted this, I had a few weeks off mumsnet recently because of a really bad thread that was blatant autism bashing, there was some vile stuff on it, (to be fair mumsnet did delete it).

But it is insidious on here; a lot of disablism being hidden under very thin guises of wide eyed innocence.

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:27:34

Those of us who are autistic and/or have autistic children are not here for entertainment.

Absolutely spot on, yet it feels like it sometimes on here, with no input from HQ.

Welcome back Hatties

Notreallyarsed Thu 21-Sep-17 16:27:50

Serf why am I not surprised?

GotToGetMyFingerOut Thu 21-Sep-17 16:28:01

Yip iv noticed that too and it seems to be the same theme. Makes you wonder.

Anecdoche Thu 21-Sep-17 16:28:55

that is exactly how i feel, notreallyarsed.

want to talk lack of empathy i have a list of examples as long as your arm from nt kids towards mine!!

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 16:29:36

Referring to people suggesting autism when people are behaving badly- to be fair there are a load of undiagnosed older Asperger folk around. Undiagnosed ASD can look very much like someone behaving badly. That doesn't mean all people with ASD behave inappropriately, it means some people behaving inappropriately may well have ASD.

Mogtheanxiouscat Thu 21-Sep-17 16:30:12

anecdouche first post is spot one.

Anecdoche Thu 21-Sep-17 16:30:38

yyyyy!! to wide eyed innocence.

i just dont understaaaaaand...

yeah you do. cunt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now