Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can we opt out of the sounds on adverts?

(61 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

cozietoesie Thu 13-Nov-14 21:52:23

Twice today, I've been having a deliberately quiet laptop session when suddenly I've had noisy MN advert soundtracks start going - very disconcerting and definitely unwanted. Is there a way to opt out of the soundtracks?

cozietoesie Thu 13-Nov-14 21:59:18

Make that four times now - and when the ad starts playing, there's nothing you can do other than leave that board or go out of the browser - the cursors won't work inside the advert box to zap the volume. (Well they wouldn't for me.)

2rebecca Thu 13-Nov-14 22:30:23

Strongly agree. I shut down other things until I realised it was mumsnet. It is really horrible and definitely doesn't make me want to do anything except turn off the horrid noise asap

chemenger Fri 14-Nov-14 13:12:11

Totally agree, this is one of my pet hates. I just abandoned Mumsnet several times yesterday the instant the cacophony started.

BirdhouseInYourSoul Fri 14-Nov-14 13:15:53

I asked about this a while ago when a bloody sky advert kept making me jump about 10 feet in the air.

Never got a reply though.

It is incredibly annoying though. Very intrusive - especially for a parenting site where a large amount of users are probably stealing some time online during naps.

I bet if you started a thread asking "hands up who has a sleeping child within 2 feet of them RIGHT NOW" you'd get a huge response grin

chemenger Fri 14-Nov-14 13:20:28

Just happened again. That's it for Mumsnet for today. Very very intrusive and misses the point that people may be at work, or have(this being MUMSnet) a child they don't want to disturb. How hard is it to have all ads default to silent? I killed the sound on the ad (Ebay?) once only to have it restart with the sound on again. Really, really irritating. I'm reporting this post to see if we get a response. I need my speakers on for other things so muting my laptop is not an option.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Nov-14 14:30:34

Gah! Sorry folks - ads SHOULDN'T be playing sound at you. Can you tell us where you saw the ad, or what is was of, or even better, post a screen shot on this thread, and we'll hunt the blighter down and sort it out.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Nov-14 15:32:42

Thanks for that Kate. It hasn't happened to me so far today but yesterday's occurrences were to do with an ebay advert and an ad which involved an orangutan and a song about love. (You can see how much impact the latter had on me.) Both were in the ad box on the right hand side just below the 'Mumsnet Talk' box.

I'll take a screenshot if it happens again.

RocknRollNerd Fri 14-Nov-14 15:40:46

There is a Lego Minecraft ad which has appeared twice over the window - I think it came from this thread which you've just zapped.

It's a layover one so you get the lego covering about the top 1/3 of the screen. It is massively intrusive and very loud!

RocknRollNerd Fri 14-Nov-14 15:41:35

Also I couldn't see any x to click to shut it down, I muted sound and then closed the tabs.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Nov-14 15:56:42

Just happened 4 times - 1 Nicotinelle advert and 3 ebay ones. Here's a screenshot.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Nov-14 17:01:50

Thanks for the screenshot, cozietoesie.

Our Tech team are on the case!

MrsCosmopilite Thu 20-Nov-14 14:29:53

I'm getting this too. Will screenshot next time. It's a really annoying bit of music too.
When I tried to stop/mute it, the mouse wouldn't let me go near the controls on the ad, but I could use the rest of the page/screen with no issues and full mouse control.

MrsCosmopilite Thu 20-Nov-14 14:48:08

Ebay, Strepsils and something to do with a google phone app.
Screenshots of Ebay & Strepsils

cozietoesie Thu 20-Nov-14 18:58:31

I hadn't had any for several days - I had been hoping that Tech had sorted it - and just as I was typing that first 'I haven't....' (now 'I hadn't), the music started playing So far we've had Strepsils, Nurofen and Cilit Bang and they're just keeping on rolling.

Same place as before - but here's another screenshot.

cozietoesie Thu 20-Nov-14 19:39:41

Now it's Talk to Google, then Lemsip, then Dettol - interspersed with what seem to be headcam shots of someone crossing the Grand Canyon on a wire. It seems to be when you first hit a page and are just browsing on titles rather than inside a thread and posting.

cozietoesie Thu 20-Nov-14 20:18:08

Forget the browsing only. I've just been Dettol'd inside a thread.

mum9876 Thu 20-Nov-14 21:29:58

I'm getting this too. When in AIBU a Neurofen one just keeps going off with the sound repeatedly. If you click on it to stop it you get diverted to an advert page.

TiggyD Fri 21-Nov-14 23:14:21

Seriously annoying.

TiggyD Fri 21-Nov-14 23:17:08

They start and you have to click on them and it takes you to another site before you can get it to shut up. Can you disable all moving ads until it's fixed?

fuckweasel Fri 21-Nov-14 23:30:43

Yesterday; lemsip, dettol and Google. Today; just Google......but really annoying! Please make it stop.

fuckweasel Fri 21-Nov-14 23:34:22

Hang on, Nurofen and Android just started up as well. Grr.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:23:45

Hello
Sorry this is still happening, we will see what else we can do.

Summerisle1 Sat 22-Nov-14 16:35:00

Sorry to say that they are actually getting more frequent! Nearly every time I've refreshed a page for the last 2 days - be that in any forum - I've been blasted by a wave of unwanted sound. Really horrid, really intrusive.

TiggyD Sat 22-Nov-14 16:41:21

Lemsip and Dettol for me today.

Interesting taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now