Talk

Advanced search

Notifying the neighbours?

(15 Posts)
RelaxedP Thu 02-Feb-17 22:49:19

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to a new area so don't know the neighbours very well but have met a few. We chose the house because it has space to build/extend into the garden. We've just submitted a planning application for the building work and I was wondering if I should knock on the neighbours' doors and let them know in advance of the planning authority contacting them?

The plans are (I hope) reasonable but I can imagine that the first reactions might not be good as they would mean a few neighbours ending up with the wall of a house several metres closer to their properties than is currently the case.

Any advice or suggestions from people who've been on either side of this situation would be appreciated! smile

Stinkymimi Fri 03-Feb-17 12:15:58

Absofrickinlutely! In fact you should have done it before you put the plans in. There's nothing worse than only finding out about things when the speculative party wall agreement letters start pouring through your door. It gives an indication of where you are in your neighbour's list of priorities.
Lack is communication is the root of many, many neighbour disputes. I'd get round there as soon as you can if I were you - tonight if you can, otherwise this weekend.

MaybeDoctor Fri 03-Feb-17 12:17:17

Yes, I think it is far better to err on the side of doing too much neighbour communication than too little.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:51:19

What stinky says - and actually if they have real concerns, it would have been better to take the draft plans in case there was any way you could tweek them to still get what you want but allay their fears. Bit late now.

Hullabaloo31 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:53:02

My H is a surveyor/architect and always, always advises a tea and cake meeting with neighbours right at the start.

Bluntness100 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:53:14

Yes of course, go tell them.

Girlsworld92 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:58:01

Yes tell them. I'm having a small extension done as we speak which doesn't impact any boundaries but I still told our adjoining neighbour our plans, invited them to see what we are doing & told all neighbours about when the works will start. They've all been lovely except one cranky man opposite. I live in a v small cul de sac and he's being PIA threatening to call the police about all the vans coming and going etc
Wouldn't mind if he didn't work in the trade himself & had a load of vans in the road last year for his building works. Can't wait til he gets the new roof he has planned smile

MiaowTheCat Fri 03-Feb-17 13:10:42

I'd have appreciated the heads up before the planning letter hit our doorstep when our neighbour from hell was doing his. We had loads of issues with his cowboy builders burning endless building waste making our house full of fumes when I was pregnant and stuff and if he'd actually been at all approachable (or contactable) and we could have discussed things in advance it would have been very much appreciated.

Mind you - he wouldn't even bother to ask if he could wander into our garden unannounced so we had bog all chance of him actually physically talking to us!

BillyButtfuck Fri 03-Feb-17 13:12:06

Take cake

HiDBandSIL Fri 03-Feb-17 14:37:45

Yes it's a bit late now as others have said but if you're all quite spread out perhaps they won't be too annoyed.

RelaxedP Fri 03-Feb-17 15:45:28

Right thanks everyone! Haven't done this before so wasn't sure what the done thing is. Will let them know asap. Appreciate the input!

Girlsworld92 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:44:08

I'm also going to take them a gift when the work is over. Prob chocs and wine.

Celeriacacaca Fri 03-Feb-17 19:17:47

As others have said, you should have done this before planning went in. We received notification from the Council within a day or two of a neighbour's application being submitted and the neighbours hadn't come to speak to us first. It doesn't make you feel exactly warm and fuzzy towards them, nor in a frame of mind to be particularly accommodating when you have to go to them to ask questions about things that are going to affect your own property. And that's before they start bashing and crashing...

yomellamoHelly Sat 04-Feb-17 17:11:43

Our neighbours did this to us after the plans were in and nothing could be changed. We've objected (huge, too close .....) and I get the impression they're pissed off with us. But they left it all until too late.
Don't think you'll be able to influence it either way at this stage.

Scribblegirl Sat 04-Feb-17 17:16:22

We did and popped a bottle of wine round after it was done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now