Talk

Advanced search

Would you accept an offer from a buyer who's home wasn't on the market yet?

(25 Posts)
ammature Thu 02-Jun-16 19:07:16

We just had a baby and thought we would move next year when I return to work. Mainly for more space and better schools. We started viewing houses to get a sense of what's available on budget and in our area. We've now seen a house on budget with more room in the right area. House needs work. I estimate at least 20K worth but it's livable and nice at the minute too. Issues like rotten sash windows, cracked victorian tiles in hall, needs bathroom extension, new kitchen, rewiring etc. The market where I am is really booming. Lots of houses for 180 then 300k but nothing in the middle for families that ticks these boxes. Anyways...

We want to offer on this house and we will but ppl are saying they won't even consider us as we are "non procedable". How can I make the vendor take us seriously?

I've had our estate agent round to measure up for floor plan, had mortgage in principle and instructed a solicitor. We have a decent amount of equity/deposit 40% of her asking. What should we do? I want to tart our house up a bit and get double glazing installed in the back before putting on market so about 3 weeks away. I know our house will sell really fast, assured by neighbors and agent. Thoughts?!

Squeegle Thu 02-Jun-16 19:10:05

When you say people; who do you mean? If its the vendor's agent then you have to tske it seriously. If houses are ging like hot cakes in your area, then there will presumably be some competition for this house?

TwinkleCrinkle Thu 02-Jun-16 19:12:38

Personally, if that's really the house you want I would just get your house on the market.
We are in a booming market as well and were told that we needed to be sold to have a chance as there's so much competition for houses and little stock. (Our house sold the day after it was listed)
If you think there might be more houses out there for you then do what you were planning IF you think it will actually increase the price not just saleability.

dun1urkin Thu 02-Jun-16 19:14:52

I'm on the market at the moment. I would accept a full asking price offer and continue to market my property until you were in a better position (under offer yourselves)
We were also assured our house would sell quickly - one of the agents who we 'interviewed' said that they'd sell it in 2 weeks or sell it for free (and they drew up contracts to this effect)
Feeling like a muppet now as we chose a different agent and it's been on the market for 5 weeks...

eurochick Thu 02-Jun-16 19:15:41

Surely double glazing and the associated redecorating would take longer than three weeks? I agree with the advice to get yours on the market asap if you really like this house.

Woopsiedaisy Thu 02-Jun-16 19:20:28

Dont wait, put it on the market immediately.

You can tart it up while waiting for the details / brochure to be drawn up and let your buyer put in the double glazing if you sell before you get to it.

In this area very little is moving right now, everyone is waiting for the Referendum. However I wouldn't take you seriously unless I knew you were already on the market.

fluffikins Thu 02-Jun-16 19:24:06

No, we've just gone through this on similar circumstances. We found we couldn't offer until ours was under offer AND in a good chain so we had to turn down offers from people who hadn't sold their house yet too

Northernlurker Thu 02-Jun-16 19:31:24

You've got no chance till you're under offer. Forget the doubleglazing, get it on the market now.

BusyNothings Thu 02-Jun-16 19:49:53

When we first went on the market probably yes. But we are also "really desirable in a popular area" and yet been in market since Nov and not a bite. New property so nothing needs doing. I would say put in an offer of interest but don't get hopes up. We've been stung a lot in a short time so very cautious now

BusyNothings Thu 02-Jun-16 19:50:16

When we first went on the market probably yes. But we are also "really desirable in a popular area" and yet been in market since Nov and not a bite. New property so nothing needs doing. I would say put in an offer of interest but don't get hopes up. We've been stung a lot in a short time so very cautious now

BasinHaircut Thu 02-Jun-16 19:55:21

You can only try and see what happens.

We did exactly that last year and out offer was accepted. We had ours on the market a week later, sold within another week.

Our vendors had been on the market for 6 months though and the house wasn't as desirable as others in the area as it needed work which we are still doing.

MunchCrunch01 Thu 02-Jun-16 19:55:31

Agree, get it on the market and book in the work in parallel - we were in a similar position, lost a lovely flat by 1 week - ours was under offer a week after they accepted another offer.

Doje Thu 02-Jun-16 20:00:55

Agree! They won't take you seriously until you have an offer on your house.

We put an offer in on a house we loved, but they didn't even negotiate (understandably) until we had an offer on ours.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother doing the windows. I don't think it adds value to a house (an estate agent told me) and you might as well do a 'sold as aren't then the buyer gets to choose the windows they want.

ammature Thu 02-Jun-16 20:07:11

Our back windows are rotten and I think the double glazing would give buyers confidence. The rest Is tarting up. Double glazing ppl have us booked in and can do it quick. Should we put on the market with out featuring pics of the windows?! We wanted to tidy up paint work etc... We want this house but our budget is 10k over asking only I don't want to undersell our house. I've never been in a chain before so nervous we will end up messing around. The owner is back from her holiday sat so want offer in by sat am

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 02-Jun-16 20:13:47

IMO there's no point putting an offer in as you can't proceed as it stands.

What you can do is talk to their agent and say you're very serious, very interested and that if anyone puts in an offer could they please let you know.

Putting an offer in now may backfire. The seller may accept it in principle but they would still keep the house in the market. Then if others come and look round it and are told there's an offer in the table it makes the house look more appealing, people may be more inclined to put in an offer.

TwinkleCrinkle Thu 02-Jun-16 20:17:46

Agree with Simon your offer could be used to attract other higher offers.
I would maybe get all photos done - not featuring the windows so it's ready to be listed and then have it up for sale as soon as the Windows are in.
Or even show early but have all buyers advised that the Windows will be replaced.

didireallysaythat Thu 02-Jun-16 20:28:39

I wouldn't take my house off the market. I'd continue to market. It's a business transaction after all... the EA can take photos and get it on rightmove the same day (ours did, so can yours).

ammature Thu 02-Jun-16 20:59:41

OK so there estate agent said there have been offers around asking price but the vendors away til sat. My husband says our house isn't ready to photograph- we need to declutter but the plan was for him to take time off work to do this with me as we have a little baby. Also garden needs work. The vendor isn't in a chain. Simons point is actually a true buy crap one. Pushing the price up is something I don't want to do. How should I approach the conversation with her estate agent? Ours said to put in a good offer and not around with the price. This is starting to feel like a rush/bad timing now... I just think we might have to accept it's bad timing.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 02-Jun-16 21:37:10

Any chance you can use the same estate agents to sell yours as selling this one?

They then have an incentive to sell yours???

I was in a similar position years ago. I was literally waiting for agent to photo our houses and get it in rightmove. Saw a house I liked and told the agent I liked it and if/when we sold ours I would be prepared to put in an asking price offer. The agent rang me back four days later to say someone else had put in an asking price offer and could I proceed. I said no.

We sold our house about 3 days later and the next week the agent rang me back to say the other buyer had pulled out and did we still want it. But I had seen another house by then and just had an offer accepted the day before! grin

Maybe things happen for a reason?

ammature Thu 02-Jun-16 22:09:46

I do think they happen for a reason and if we loose this it won't be the end of the world. I've walked around and I think we would do the house a disservice to put crap pics on now. Our house is lovely but we have tons of stuff and I know I can make it look amazing if we have time. Hard with a newborn though. I wouldn't sell with their estate agent they are awful. Really crap office and manner.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 02-Jun-16 22:27:48

Good luck, hope it works out.

Lelivre Thu 02-Jun-16 22:34:36

If you offer asking and go on with their agent you, ha they will work to sell your property. These agents love chain control. Consider it. They would not be quick to impress a buyer who isn't on the market and not in a position to proceed.

Girlscout1910 Fri 03-Jun-16 09:37:39

We are in this situation. We had no plan to move, then our dream house came on the market. I phoned the agent told him. We wanted to sell ours and he managed to get in on the market and organise an open day at ours for the same day as the open day in the one we wanted. Within 9 days of being in the market we'd accepted an asking price offer on ours and had an offer accepted on the one we want. So it is possible

ammature Mon 06-Jun-16 20:57:30

In case anyone's still interested the vendor returned from her holiday holiday and accepted an offer. Not the highest. I was waiting on a reply to some questions but she never replied and wasn't interested in any further offers- nothing to do with our situation. She apparently made an emotional decision and selected someone. Didn't want a bidding war or sealed bids etc. I admire her ethics but feel really disappointed we didn't get to throw our hat in the ring.

whois Mon 06-Jun-16 21:24:04

Thanks for the update. Sorry you didn't get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now