Advanced search

Planning permission granted-now what

(12 Posts)
123rd Fri 16-Jan-15 14:16:37

We have just had planning permission granted for some major work ( two storey extension) we need doing. We Want to start ASAP. But do we need building regs before we start getting quotes for the work? What do I need to be thinking about next? Someone mentioned you need the cost o the steels before getting quotes ,but any we factor that in later? Any experience/advice welcome. I'm dreading all of this.

Marmitelover55 Fri 16-Jan-15 14:22:54

Once we received planning permission for our extension, our architect produced the more detailed plans needed for building regs. We then used these detailed plans to give to the builders to get quotes. The builders included the cost of the steels in their quotes. The builders also needed the structural engineer's report yo produce the quote - this included details on what sixecsteels would br needed. Hope that helps. Good li luck - I found it all very exciting!

Marmitelover55 Fri 16-Jan-15 14:24:16

Oops sorry about typos - on phone. sixecsteels = size of steels.

123rd Fri 16-Jan-15 15:48:06

Thanks marmite. So best to hold fire phoning around for quotes just yet. I go from very excited to dreading it. And did you start planning kitchens etc before. I don't know about things like where I want the plug sockets to be etc. Can these be added mid build?

AryaUnderfoot Fri 16-Jan-15 18:03:45

Builders won't give you 'quotes' until you have building regs drawings. They may give you some ballpark estimates, but they can be very different from the actual quote.

After doing building regs drawings, we sat down with our architect who put together a very detailed specification which could be put out for fixed price quotations. It included everything from number and position of plug sockets, type of flooring and type of paint to be used. All we had to do was choose the paint colour!

We have paid for our architect to manage the project - which has been worth every penny!

Marmitelover55 Fri 16-Jan-15 19:57:06

I think our detailed building regs plans included an electrical layout plan with plug sockets/lights etc. When it was actually being built we did add a fee more/change the location of a few though (at a bit if extra cost). We didn't use our architect to project manage - our builder did most of it and I did the bits he wasn't supplying eg floor, kitchen, decoration.

whataboutbob Fri 16-Jan-15 20:04:33

Party wall agreement? Do you have adjoining neighbours? You need to tackle that ideally 8 weeks before work begins.

Theveryhungrycaterpillar123 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:13:03

You don't need the architect to do an electrical plan, our builder has sorted the electrics as have our kitchen fitters.

Get an architect, they can do the building regs package and sort that. Then get quotes as the builders will want to look at the plans. A structural engineer will work out the steels and the builder will buy them.

123rd Fri 16-Jan-15 21:51:41

We don't have to worry about adjoins walls. As the neighbours are all fine about the extension. Most houses along the street have had stuff done.
So I'm thinking if I did start looking at kitchens then that may help with the process of where to put sockets etc.
We do have a builder in mind but will obvs get at least three quotes and lots depends on when they can start etc.
thanks for all the replies.

Bartlebee Fri 16-Jan-15 21:57:21

You don't have to submit technical plans to building control.

You could do the work under a building notice (as opposed to full plans) which means they require only 48 hours notice and don't need the plans.

They will need your structural calculations for steelwork regardless of which method route you go down.

Marmitelover55 Sat 17-Jan-15 15:35:48

I think that a Building Notice application is only recommended for simple donestic work for those experienced in construction.

A full plans application costs the same (I think), but plans are checked for compliance before builder starts work, and and an approval notice is issued.

Bartlebee Sat 17-Jan-15 16:20:59

You're right, Marmite, in that they cost the same.

But you can build a new house on a building notice if you want to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: