Advanced search

Should we have planning permission/building regs for our conservatory?

(11 Posts)
Lottie4 Fri 21-Mar-14 13:59:55

We're in the process of selling our house and have been asked if we have any planning permissions or building regs for our conservatory. We don't. The conservatory was about three years old when we bought and I seem to recall that it didn't need permission as the area for it was within 10% of the floor space of the whole property. Does this make sense? Conservatory is now approx. 18 years old.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Mar-14 14:02:38

If it's unheated and within permitted development rules then no building regs required. You may need certification to that effect though.

MillyMollyMama Fri 21-Mar-14 14:05:12

You would need planning permission if you are in an area of outstanding natural beauty or green belt. Permitted development does not apply everywhere. Check with the planning portal or your local planning department.

Lottie4 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:10:20

It has a radiator, so should we have building regs for that?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Mar-14 14:26:26

Afaik, the permitted development rule is only for unheated spaces. As soon as it's heated you need full building regs approval. And, as MillyMolly said, if it's a conservation area, permitted development may not apply and/or you may require planning permission for changing the elevation of your building.

Not sure if it still stands, but when we bought our house, there wasn't any record of the kitchen extension, however, iirc, as it was over a certain number of years it was deemed to satisfy so we didn't need to apply retrospectively.

You definitely need to chase this up with the council though.

MillyMollyMama Fri 21-Mar-14 14:27:53

Planning has the info on building regs. The answer is probably that it did need building regs and that your surveyor should have asked to see them when you purchased. If the radiator is connected to the heating system is needs building regs, if it is independent, it does not. There will be a way around this but speak to your planning department. Or would the purchaser be willing to overlook it?

HaveToWearHeels Fri 21-Mar-14 16:24:49

We have a new build property, all permitted development rights have been revoked. Anything we do would need planning permission. I think you need to contact the council planning department.

Madamecastafiore Fri 21-Mar-14 16:27:48

Same with us, no permitted building here, everything has to be applied for so I'd check although this surely should have been checked when you bought the house.

peggyundercrackers Fri 21-Mar-14 17:40:33

i would have thought that as its been standing for 18 yrs you would not need it now, think anything after 4yrs is ok? but may be mistaken by that figure.

chicaguapa Fri 21-Mar-14 17:48:44

We had the same as our conservatory was supposed planning permission to have it because it was near a public footpath (along the back of the garden). I think the requirement expires once it has been there for 5 years.

amimagic Fri 21-Mar-14 17:57:41

Just say no, you don't have them. All that may happen is that the buyer's solicitor may request an indemnity from you in case of retrospective action - this cost me £150 for indemnity insurance a few years ago, but this was for both an extension and an unregistered back lane.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: