Advanced search

Help with how to go about an extension

(15 Posts)
supadupapupascupa Sat 08-Feb-14 19:23:34

I have looked but cannot find a recent thread about

I know I want a single storey extension around 35m2 to accommodate a kitchen/diner with patio doors, an extension to a current room to be used as an office, a loo and hopefully a small utility.

Complications: current 'added on' kitchen to be demolished, there are manholes where i want to build, there was a well in the garden (which has been infilled) that comes close to where the foundations will be but not on them, the garden slopes - quite a bit.

How the hell do I get started?? I think I will need to get planning permission due to rejigging the drains and possibly due to size. But I've never done anything like this before and have no idea what the process is, what are the steps or any CLUE as to what it might all cost :-/

We're not ready to go, I have a house to sell to release equity (father buying it off me hopefully as it is tenanted) so no hurry. I just want to get started on the planning etc.

Can anyone please help me?

superlambanana Sun 09-Feb-14 10:35:00

Architect! We didn't have a clue either and our building work is starting this week. We found our architect through RIBA and checked his references and he's been great so far. Cost about £1.5k for initial plans, then building drawings, then managing the project.

MrsTaraPlumbing Sun 09-Feb-14 11:30:31

You may or may not need planning permission but you will definitely need building Regulations approval for any extension which is managed through the local authority - look on their website for more info.

About your drain being moved/ changed. You don't need planning Permission you do not building regulations inspections.
However - if it is a shared drain you also have to inform the local water authority and pay a fee to them (a fee for them to do nothing).

Roughly you can build 3 m from each back wall if you are attached and 4 m from the back if you are detached, without planning permission, usually...

There are a big team of professionals that will be involved in the project - ground workers, architect (perhaps), builders, etc. You can deal yourself with all of them and project manage it yourself or you can look to employ one person who does it all for you.

It is a good idea to speak to local people and get recommendations for whoever you are going to employ.

I can tell you that my own business does the work you describe. You would liaise with one person discussing your dreams, your budget and real practical issues. We then project manage and delegate to all the relevant parties - so my company do the plans, arrange building control approval, employ architect if necessary, employ all the tradesmen who do the job.

There are other ways to approach it. You could get it drawn & designed by an architect (with building regs detailed) and then find a building company who can deliver. You might just want the shell built and plan to DIY the internal work.

You mentioned it is some time off - this is good because everyone is busy. I would allow 3-4 months for architects plans to be drawn and approved (it can be faster) if you need planning permission. Reputable building firms are booked for months in advance.

To give you an idea, when we are contacted to do jobs like this we would hope to be contacted at least 6 months before the client wanted the work to start. 9-12 months ahead is a good lead in time for this sort of job.

supadupapupascupa Sun 09-Feb-14 15:31:19

thank you very much! I have a friend who is currently using local architect and builders so I will start there! Your responses have been very helpful!

superlambanana Sun 09-Feb-14 17:14:23

You can go out to 8m at the moment without planning permission if you're detached!

MrsTaraPlumbing Mon 10-Feb-14 12:31:27

no it is definitely only 4 m if your detached without full planning permission.
We are just in the process of applying for one of our clients for 90 cm!

If you have alternative info please post a link.

LondonGirl83 Mon 10-Feb-14 13:53:41

Its 8m (the rules recently changed). However, its more than 4 meters and a neighbour objects to the permitted development application, it may need to go through full planning.

Basically it means that if your neighbours don't mind, the authorities will automatically approve 8m but if anyone is concerned it will have to go through the normal planning process / assessment.

superlambanana Mon 10-Feb-14 23:43:17

What LondonGirl said smile Details

MrsTaraPlumbing Fri 21-Feb-14 11:23:47

Thanks for that link

My language is wrong - FP not needed! Sorry.
But beyond the 4m you DO have to go through the planning process as explained in that link.

Up to 4m (for detached) you just get on a build it with Building regs approval and neighbours have no say in it (except boundary wall issue can apply).

Solo Fri 21-Feb-14 13:25:57

That link doesn't work.

MrsTaraPlumbing Fri 21-Feb-14 22:54:41

try this

Solo Sat 22-Feb-14 02:13:03

Thank you!

Kazzabob Sat 22-Feb-14 19:47:15

Does the up to 8m rule apply to two storey as well?

MissWing Tue 25-Feb-14 12:50:09


I'm doing a similar thing but a few months ahead. Single storey extension 35msq building over a sewer.

Our local authority do this pre-app where you submit a drawing and then they get back to you to confirm whether it comes under permitted development. As our architect mentioned that there have been so many changes and caveats to the relaxed PD rules here in Wales, no-one really knows which way is up. So have a look see if your local authority do that?

Also contact the body who own the sewer and ask them what they will let you do to the drains and what the process is to get their permission.

We are paying an architect �1,250 for plans up to submission of drawings for building regs. After that we're on our own!

All the best!

belld Tue 25-Feb-14 13:14:46

we are local architects in SW18 and have good experience/projects helping homeowners through the build process.
if you think we can help, get in touch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now