Talk

Advanced search

Planning a big extension- how many architects should you speak to?

(11 Posts)
FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 10:59:47

We are hopefully doing a large 2 storey extension later this year. We've spoken to one architect (architectural technologist I think?) free of charge so far, and he's summarised our wish list nicely but that's it unless we instruct him and pay.

I'm really worried about picking the right person- I know you should get 3 builders quotes when it gets to that stage, but should you also speak to several architects? And do we need an architect rather than a technologist?

Any hints and tips about planning a big extension would be much appreciated!

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 12:59:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 13:43:36

Thanks very much Mary- we need ideas to transform the look of our house too as the extension is at the front. The fees quoted for drawing up initial plans by the technologist are £1700- is this about right?

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 16:50:21

MissMilbanke Wed 05-Feb-14 16:51:10

Gah we are at this stage too

So far we have had 3 architects a fourth arriving on friday afternoon,. 3 regular builders and 2 kitchen designers.

I'm no closer to making a decision now than I was a year ago !

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 17:07:06

Oh blimey! Nice to know I'm not alone though. How on earth do you decide between the architects, when they won't give you any design ideas until they're instructed??

fatedtopretend Wed 05-Feb-14 17:11:03

An architectural technician is fine and much cheaper, architects tend to charge 7-12% of the proposed alive of the property after the work has been done, architectural technicians will tend to cap around the 7% mark.

If you liked what the first technician showed you and you thought you could et along with them I'd say go for them.

fatedtopretend Wed 05-Feb-14 17:11:46

Proposed value, not alive-sorry-drying nails and thumbs got flustered!

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 17:24:24

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 17:25:42

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 17:44:56

Yes, I worry about maintaining good flow around the house.

I wish I could hire Sarah Beeny!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: