Talk

Advanced search

Planning a big extension- how many architects should you speak to?

(11 Posts)
FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 10:59:47

We are hopefully doing a large 2 storey extension later this year. We've spoken to one architect (architectural technologist I think?) free of charge so far, and he's summarised our wish list nicely but that's it unless we instruct him and pay.

I'm really worried about picking the right person- I know you should get 3 builders quotes when it gets to that stage, but should you also speak to several architects? And do we need an architect rather than a technologist?

Any hints and tips about planning a big extension would be much appreciated!

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 12:59:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 13:43:36

Thanks very much Mary- we need ideas to transform the look of our house too as the extension is at the front. The fees quoted for drawing up initial plans by the technologist are £1700- is this about right?

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 16:50:21

MissMilbanke Wed 05-Feb-14 16:51:10

Gah we are at this stage too

So far we have had 3 architects a fourth arriving on friday afternoon,. 3 regular builders and 2 kitchen designers.

I'm no closer to making a decision now than I was a year ago !

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 17:07:06

Oh blimey! Nice to know I'm not alone though. How on earth do you decide between the architects, when they won't give you any design ideas until they're instructed??

fatedtopretend Wed 05-Feb-14 17:11:03

An architectural technician is fine and much cheaper, architects tend to charge 7-12% of the proposed alive of the property after the work has been done, architectural technicians will tend to cap around the 7% mark.

If you liked what the first technician showed you and you thought you could et along with them I'd say go for them.

fatedtopretend Wed 05-Feb-14 17:11:46

Proposed value, not alive-sorry-drying nails and thumbs got flustered!

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 17:24:24

MaryShelley Wed 05-Feb-14 17:25:42

FlamingGallah Wed 05-Feb-14 17:44:56

Yes, I worry about maintaining good flow around the house.

I wish I could hire Sarah Beeny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now