Advanced search

Home Insurance - replacing only half the kitchen.

(18 Posts)
mumnosbest Sat 24-Nov-12 22:14:55

Following a gradual leak, we've made a claim on our insurance to replace our kitchen units. Apparantly they will only replace the damaged units . As the wall units weren't damaged and they no longer make the same kitchen, we will have mis-matched units. We can't afford to pay for new wall units from our own pocket assumed that was the point of insurance. I just wondered what experiences others have had. Is this the norm? sad

sausagesandwich34 Sat 24-Nov-12 22:17:47

sadly this is pretty common

it depends on the terms of your insurance

if it's new for old then you can argue the point with your insurer

if it's like for like then probably not

I'm actually surprised they are paying for a gradual leak as it could be argued that you haven't maintained the property and insurers generally won't pay out if they can find a way not to

nocake Sat 24-Nov-12 22:38:15

Matching sets cover, where an undamaged item is replaced because a matching item is damaged, isn't included in all home insurance. If that isn't mentioned on your policy schedule then you'll never get the company to pay for the wall units.

You could go for contrasting colour doors in a similar style which would look better than doors that don't quite match.

mumnosbest Sat 24-Nov-12 23:08:23

Mm doesn't sound like good news then. It amazes me that they expect you to have a mis-matched kitchen! They wouldn't replace your car bonnet in a different colour/make! The leak was under the floor so did a lot of dammage before it became visible. Luckily theyre ok witj that.

mumnosbest Sat 24-Nov-12 23:08:40


mumnosbest Sat 24-Nov-12 23:10:23

Think we'll have to go without wall units and save for a few months.

nocake Sun 25-Nov-12 08:26:52

It cones down to how much you're prepared to pay for your insurance. If you buy a more expensive policy it's likely to include matching sets cover. If you buy a cheap policy it's not going to include all the options. It's like paying for a Mini and expecting to get a Ferrari.

clam Sun 25-Nov-12 12:18:55

Pretty standard, I'm afraid. I had this when my dining table was damaged by a small fire (from a candle). It was in a wood that was no longer easily available/fashionable and I would have had a table that didn't match its chairs or the sideboard.
Ended up paying a small fortune extra to find a table in the same wood.

MrsMiniversCharlady Sun 25-Nov-12 17:21:28

Have a look at this Appears that the Financial Ombudsman generally requires insurers to pay 50% towards replacing the undamaged items.

avivabeaver Sun 25-Nov-12 19:05:17

if the other cupboards are undamaged, you should be able to just have the doors replaced at a fairly minimal cost, then they will match.

mumnosbest Mon 26-Nov-12 12:14:38

Thanks MrsMini. That's really useful. 50% would really help. aviva i wondered about replacing just the fronts. I would have to measure up but one units a corner unit and might be an odd size.

greenfolder Tue 27-Nov-12 10:13:02

Aviva here under diff name.

I think what you should do is really push the insuers to match the damaged units to existimg. There are lots of diff companies that match cupboards. Unless they are ancient it shouldn't be a problem. Put the emphasis on them to put you back in the same position

mumnosbest Tue 27-Nov-12 11:56:07

... Still waiting for a decision ...and still have no kitchen :-(
look out soon for a thread on exciting microwave and slow cooker meals.

Still waiting! angry

PigletJohn Tue 11-Dec-12 13:29:30

assuming you are choosing the units yourself, see which suppliers will sell doors separately at a reasonable price (the companies that specialise in door upgrades are usually ridiculously expensive). You might find a supplier who, if you place the insurance order with them, will sell you the additional parts at a discount. But see if your insurer will let you choose from the market, or has a limited number of preferred suppliers.

You will have to measure your old units very carefully, including the thickness of the carcases to get doors that fit. It is fairly easy to change doors yourself, but changing drawer-fromts and making them line up needs skill.

BTW there are a few kitchen agents who will order kitchen units from the large suppliers like Howdens or Magnet at the trade discount, and have them delivered to you for self-fit, making a reasonable handling commission from you, but not charging retail price (which is at least double trade price).

upstart68 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:49:23

We had a flood in our kitchen a year or so ago.

We did eventually get 50% off the undamaged units. It wasn't clearcut though and took some negotiating.

upstart68 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:51:52

Oh and there is always the option to go for a cash settlement from your insurers so that you can buy a slightly cheaper kitchen and use the extra money for the undamaged units.

thanks some good advice here. we are going for a cash settlement and they're considering conyributing to the undamaged units. it's definately worth thinking about just replacing the doors. will look into that thanks.
just really want/need a kitchen now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now