Talk

Advanced search

Best mulled wine substitute?

(38 Posts)
user1484167681 Wed 25-Oct-17 16:31:02

I've just clocked that I won't be able to join in any of the boozing fun around Christmas (small price to pay for a healthy baby etc, but still a bit sad- I love my mulled wine and cider!).

Does anyone have any good suggestions for suitable alternatives? Recommendations for the shop-bought alternatives? Aware that it's still October, but I love planning ahead :D

MsHippo Wed 25-Oct-17 16:44:15

Bottlegreen do a great spiced plum cordial which has the same vibe as milled wine when made up with hot water. Otherwise posh apple juice mulls rather well (lemon and orange wedges, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, vanilla).

Dreams16 Wed 25-Oct-17 16:48:12

Asda are now doing a mulled fruit juice which you can have hot or cold and it’s very nice taste just like mulled wine without the alcohol of course 😃

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Wed 25-Oct-17 16:48:18

Belvoir Spiced Winter Berries cordial is an acceptable alternative, and I think Innocent do a mulled fruit juice?

FlaviaAlbia Wed 25-Oct-17 16:50:52

Pure apple juice with this mixed in is gorgeous www.lakeland.co.uk/42108/The-Gourmet-Mulling-Syrup

mindutopia Wed 25-Oct-17 16:52:21

You can mull cloudy apple juice. We used to do it all the time as kids.

museumum Wed 25-Oct-17 16:53:20

I quite like the Ikea stuff

user1484167681 Wed 25-Oct-17 16:59:35

It sounds like I will need to do some very serious hands-on research of these options...! Thank you, everyone!

user1484167681 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:07:19

I swear I can smell something mulling, although I'm still in the office... should not have started this thread, it's given me a craving! 😂

dangle90 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:22:27

Did you ever try the special edition Ribena they had last year? I thought that was like mulled wine (obviously you have it with hot water), I’m praying they bring it out this year too! I’m going to miss my mulled wine at the German markets

thecolonelbumminganugget Wed 25-Oct-17 17:23:34

I like the eisberg alcohol free red wine, I'd use that as a substitute for proper wine in your normal recipe and don't put any sugar in as it's a bit sweeter than normal wine.

and minus the shed load of port and brandy that I'd normally add to mulled wine

AnUtterIdiot Wed 25-Oct-17 17:26:30

I will have delivered by mid December so more a hypothetical question (for me): surely mulled wine could be made the normal way but the alcohol boiled off?

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Wed 25-Oct-17 17:30:13

Belvoir do a mulled winter punch.

www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk/our-drinks/type/presse-75cl/mulled-winter-punch/

As well as a non alcoholic red, white and rose.

MadameJosephine Wed 25-Oct-17 17:32:38

Winter spice ribena, really reminded me of mulled wine

villainousbroodmare Wed 25-Oct-17 17:34:20

I just mulled the shit outta wine last time... boiled it for a few minutes and didn't add the customary whack of brandy. I also limited it to a single glass.

PonderLand Wed 25-Oct-17 17:39:07

The mulled Ribena one is lovely! I'm going to be buying it again this year if they bring it out again, not even pregnant but prefer it to alcohol.

orangeowls Wed 25-Oct-17 18:16:31

I had the same problem. I just made it with non alcoholic red wine. It was yum

Oysterbabe Wed 25-Oct-17 19:04:28

The IKEA one is pretty nice. They do an apple version too.

GetSchwifty Wed 25-Oct-17 19:06:23

Lidl do a non alcoholic mulled wine at Christmas, really good. I may buy some even though I’m not pregnant this year.

bettydraper31 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:36:02

villainousbroodmare lol- mulled the shit out of it 🤣🤣🤣

HolyShmoly Wed 25-Oct-17 20:37:46

I'm with the others who mentioned Ikea. They were do samples of the mulled wine and ginger biscuits last time I was there. I'm planning on stocking up on both before Christmas.

TittyGolightly Wed 25-Oct-17 20:41:26

Aldi do bottles of mulled fruit punch. I always add some more spices to it but it's not bad.

Roseandbee Wed 25-Oct-17 23:39:15

Mulled wine tends to be fairly low alcohol wine already, they are generally 8%-10% vol and the boiling process reduces the alcohol further. So a well boiled glass could be an option.
I also don’t mind the eisberg red, so you cud try that with mulling spice, I’m liking the sound of the non alcoholic version mentioned, will have to keep an eye out.
I had my first mince pie today op, heated in the microwave, similarish smell, made me crave it too

EasterRobin Wed 25-Oct-17 23:41:36

Mulled apple juice is ideal as drivers and pregnant women can drink it, while drinkers can have the same mixed with added vodka.

DeadDoorpost Thu 26-Oct-17 00:59:42

Aldi had a gorgeous mulled spiced punch last year that I'm hoping they have again this year. You can then leave it and it'll start to ferment on its own. Not that I know from experience as I was clearing out my kitchen at all... nope.... hic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now