Advanced search

I need this work done on my house and have NO idea who to ask!

(12 Posts)
Haylstones Mon 27-Jul-09 21:13:10

I am looking for someone to replace a shower, do some tiling and replace a cloakroom suite.

Nobody I knowcan recommend anyone and I'm not sure what trade I need to look up- plumber, electricialn, builder, tiler?!

Any ideas?

Is it going to cost me tonnes and tonnesof money we don't have?

2shoes Mon 27-Jul-09 21:15:33

you would need a plumber, who would then most likely know people who could do the bits he couldn't.(what area are you in?)

Haylstones Mon 27-Jul-09 21:15:47

I should have said- we have all the fittings, just lacking the time to fit them sad

LaurieFairyCake Mon 27-Jul-09 21:17:06

Well you need a plumber to do the plumbing work ie. fit the shower and cloakroom suite

and then separately once the plumber has finished you need a tiler

You do not want a jack-of-all-trades who can do both as ime tiler's who do it every day have got their 'eye' in.

Haylstones Mon 27-Jul-09 21:17:12

We're in Glos.
I wondered if there was a general property maintenance type person who might be able to do it all but have no idea where to start- have asked all my friends to no avail. Have got someone coming rouond on Thursday but have no knowledge of history or anything so would like more options!

Haylstones Mon 27-Jul-09 21:18:16

I wondered about the shower because it's electical and water related... don't fitters have to have a registration of some sort [dim]

Haylstones Mon 27-Jul-09 21:19:35

Shower hass to go on top of n ew tiles so do we get tiling one first?

I am taking the bull by the horns as dh has dithered for aaaages and still thinks he'll have time so there is no point asking him (we've had suite in spare room for 18 months!)

LaurieFairyCake Mon 27-Jul-09 21:20:47

yes but you said replace a shower in which case they won't need to re-do the electrics (which is when they need part 'p' reg)

If a whole new shower then you need an electrician to make sure you have a seperate fuse in your fuse box for the shower


trollbeadaddict Mon 27-Jul-09 21:22:07

You might also try a reputable building contractor - it's a small job, but given the downward turn in the market, they might be glad of the work. If you get a contractor in, they should have both plumber and tiler on their books and should oversee the work (or at least, inspect the end result). Plus you get a quote for the whole job. Just a though (may be an expensive option though).

Frizbe Mon 27-Jul-09 21:22:31

Plumber, then if its an electric shower, they'll have a tag along sparky no doubt, who will fit the shower and ensure its earthed correctly etc etc smile
If you're not sure who to use, try your local council website, sometimes they have a list of trusted traders (well our local one does anyway)

MadEyeballsMoody Mon 27-Jul-09 21:49:26

We always use Check a trade or our local version. Should be able to find what you need in your area, they're all rated and you know they've got the right skills and it also lists what else they can do. For example, I think a plumber who can do tiling wouldn't be too hard to find. It's in their interest to be able to do the whole job IYSWIM.

Pannacotta Mon 27-Jul-09 21:52:26

A good bathroom fitter should be able to help as they usually do plumbing (including electric showers) and tiling.
My local Bathstore gave me a list of local fitters they recommend to customers, worth a shot if you have a locla branch?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now