Help! DS in trouble in Canada. Any words of advice?

(186 Posts)
DUTI Sat 11-May-19 19:24:14

He's been an idiot. He knows it. He doesn't deny it.

He went out last night and got so drunk that he thought it would be a good idea to drive home. The Police spotted him and have done him for driving under the influence.

Is there anything he can do to mitigate things? He drives for a living so losing his licence is bad news.
Anybody got any wise words on the best way to approach this in Canada?

OP’s posts: |
PotteringAlong Sat 11-May-19 19:25:12

I don’t think you can mitigate it.

PotteringAlong Sat 11-May-19 19:25:44

Is his Canadian visa linked to his job?

IncognitaIgnorama Sat 11-May-19 19:25:52

No specific words of advice except to suggest he gets legal advice ASAP.

There are some Canadian MN ers who will be able to give you a better idea of what the penalty will be, though.

Loopytiles Sat 11-May-19 19:26:25

He will probably lose his current job immediately.

What is his visa status?

CatToddlerUprising Sat 11-May-19 19:27:28

This may give some guidance- globalnews.ca/news/4769690/canada-impaired-driving-laws/amp/

DUTI Sat 11-May-19 19:27:43

He's on a 2 year touristy visa. He and gf are doing basic, minimum-wage type jobs.

Advertisement

DUTI Sat 11-May-19 19:30:03

He is supposed to pay a fine to the Police. I have told him to hang fire for a bit, in case paying the fine is an admission of culpability that he cannot row back from.

AdaColeman Sat 11-May-19 19:30:58

Is legal advice covered by his insurance at all?

CatToddlerUprising Sat 11-May-19 19:31:32

But he was guilty?

NorthEndGal Sat 11-May-19 19:32:38

Canadian here,. Did they do a road side test only, did he have to blow, and did they do a blood test?
We take drunk driving pretty serious here, one drink max before you are over
Also depends on the province, Ontario is more strick than Alberta, for example

Girlundercover Sat 11-May-19 19:32:42

Mitigate what exactly?

Be grateful no one is dead.

CatToddlerUprising Sat 11-May-19 19:32:55

I didn’t mean for that to sound goady but he’s guilty so I don’t see how he could argue that? If a fine is the worst he’s going to get then he’s very lucky

DUTI Sat 11-May-19 19:36:04

Roadside test afaik. He is in Vancouver, BC.

DUTI Sat 11-May-19 19:38:20

he’s guilty so I don’t see how he could argue that?
We used to have a ridiculous practice here in the UK where you could plead that losing your licence would mean losing your job so they let you off. Anything similar over there?

NerrSnerr Sat 11-May-19 19:39:32

He went out last night and got so drunk that he thought it would be a good idea to drive home

He clearly needs to pay the fine. Why would you support him to try and get off? Just be glad that he didn't kill anyone (or himself). If he needs to come back home let that be a lesson to not be such an idiot in the future.

DUTI Sat 11-May-19 19:39:48

Thanks, Ada, for the suggestion of looking at his insurance. Have passed on the message.

Villanellesproudmum Sat 11-May-19 19:42:05

He could have killed someone so what ever punishment he faces he has got off lightly. Although saying that it’s not your fault op and must be a worry I’d be furious.

Backwoodsgirl Sat 11-May-19 19:43:57

We used to have a ridiculous practice here in the UK where you could plead that losing your licence would mean losing your job so they let you off. Anything similar over there?

Possibly We have that in the USA, I was able to keep my license when I was caught speeding

Inniu Sat 11-May-19 19:43:57

I think Canadian law changed last year and he can now be deported for this.

DUTI Sat 11-May-19 19:46:43

He is absolutely distraught. He knows he's been a total idiot. He's let his gf down. He's inconvenienced his employer. He doesn't need me being furious at him; he's furious enough at himself.

cornflakemilk Sat 11-May-19 19:51:10

If one of mine did this I would be telling them to pay the fine and face the consequences, hoping they would get deported so they would actually have to face proper consequences and maybe learn a lesson rather than trying to help him find a way out of it.

He could have killed a child.

floraloctopus Sat 11-May-19 19:52:16

www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/road-safety-rules-and-consequences/drug-alcohol

churchthecat Sat 11-May-19 19:52:23

He is guilty, so he needs to pay the fine and deal with the consequences. End of.

He should think himself very lucky that he didn't kill himself or anyone else.

I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers.

cornflakemilk Sat 11-May-19 19:52:39

And actually yes I think he does need you to be furious at him.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in