Talk

Advanced search

Hotel issued 6 page threatening letter following poor review

(101 Posts)
Itsalongwayto Wed 16-Sep-20 17:21:49

following on from this post www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4018141-Hotel-threatening-to-sue-us-for-bad-review

The owner has now got his solicitor to issue a six page threatening letter. I don't think I have said or done anything wrong except write a review that he doesn't like and publicise the dangers of his hotel. His initial letter was blackmailing me NOT to write a negative review, threatening 'further action' including contacting my place of work and professional body. I have evidence of all the negative comments i made, except the smell. Advice please.

OP’s posts: |
Ffsffsffsffsffs Wed 16-Sep-20 17:24:25

What are the solicitors threatening?

Shaniac Wed 16-Sep-20 17:27:15

Surely if you have evidence he doesnt have a leg to stand on?

Takingontheworld Wed 16-Sep-20 17:28:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Itsalongwayto Wed 16-Sep-20 17:32:42

@Ffsffsffsffsffs to sue me for lost income from the 209 people who have marked my review as helpful (ie won’t visit)

OP’s posts: |
theemmadilemma Wed 16-Sep-20 17:35:18

Good point, have you checked it a genuine company?

Ffsffsffsffsffs Wed 16-Sep-20 17:38:24

Itsalongwayto

*@Ffsffsffsffsffs* to sue me for lost income from the 209 people who have marked my review as helpful (ie won’t visit)

And that took 6 pages? How much ££ is he hoping to sue you for?

I put on a very scathing review of a restaurant including pictures of the food - brown soggy lettuce, burnt chicken, ciabatta croutons that were just deep fried soldiers of cheap white bread. Over 500 'useful' markers, no way can they argue with the state of the meal they served.

Wait for proper legal advice on here first, I suspect you won't need to engage a solicitor yourself just yet.

EchoCardioGran Wed 16-Sep-20 17:42:33

EchoCardioGran Wed 16-Sep-20 17:45:09

But he hasn't lost income has he?
People found the review " helpful". That's all
Trip Advisor published it, not you. Is he suing them too? Ask them.

Hargao Wed 16-Sep-20 17:48:34

EchoCardioGran

Can't be much of a "solicitor" is it takes them six pages to write a threat.
As dodgy as he is by the sounds of it.
Check it out.

Agreed - this should be max two pages, probably one realistically. I'd place a bet on either failed letterhead or a friend/relative who works at a law firm using the firm's letterhead without permission.

Hargao Wed 16-Sep-20 17:48:57

*faked letterhead

myrtleWilson Wed 16-Sep-20 17:49:10

He can't possibly be claiming those are existing bookings that have cancelled because of your review and explicitly gave your review as the reason, he's extrapolating wildly and hoping you'll back down.

As an aside even if they were existing bookings, cancelled and explicitly gave your review as the reason, he'd still have to demonstrate how your review was false, surely.

TooTrueToBeGood Wed 16-Sep-20 17:50:40

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Solicitors will write a letter for just about anything as long as the client is willing to pay them for it. It doesn't necessarily mean they actually believe there is a viable case.

Idontgiveagriffindamn Wed 16-Sep-20 17:51:37

You can pay a solicitor to write a letter about legal action doesn’t mean they have a case at all. I’d personally write a letter back to the solicitor say that you have evidence to back up your review and will not withdraw in not pay compensation. Evidence can be provided via the solicitor if required.
I wouldn’t provide the evidence outright as they’d have to pay solicitors to send another letter!

Sunnydaysstillhere Wed 16-Sep-20 17:55:04

Mentounasc Wed 16-Sep-20 17:56:23

But, but, but...
Surely the one thing putting people off the place above all else is his own insane responses to even the slightest negativity. It's all his own doing. A Basil Fawlty-style owner is something I would go out of my way to avoid.

VettiyaIruken Wed 16-Sep-20 17:59:35

The truth is an absolute defence.

Screw him.

islandislandisland Wed 16-Sep-20 18:00:12

That's bonkers! Personally I only click 'helpful' on reviews if I've had a similar experience at the place, I thought that's what people did! There's no way he can prove those people are all potential customers.

TastelessBracelets Wed 16-Sep-20 18:02:13

Ask his brother for advice!

Hargao Wed 16-Sep-20 18:04:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Quotes a deleted post.

Sunnydaysstillhere Wed 16-Sep-20 18:05:19

Have you Googled the solicitor firm?

FreidaMind Wed 16-Sep-20 18:06:54

I’d just take it down. Who needs this kind of aggravation?

Venicelover Wed 16-Sep-20 18:08:28

islandislandisland

That's bonkers! Personally I only click 'helpful' on reviews if I've had a similar experience at the place, I thought that's what people did! There's no way he can prove those people are all potential customers.

I don't, I do click on thanks if I found the review helpful in making my mind up whether to book or not. If it was just a couple of reviews then I might discount them, but if it was several and with photos, then I might click thanks for helping me decide against it.

Is that not the function of TA though?

If it is a factual account and can be proved then stick to your guns, he is trying to bully you.

polkadotpjs Wed 16-Sep-20 18:10:28

The sensible thing for him to do would be graciously accept the review and politely tel you anything he didn't agree with and how he is going to fix it. You can't be sued for having an opinion surely?
Can you find someone willing to help you write a reply on here hopefully?

RedHelenB Wed 16-Sep-20 18:10:34

Sometimes bad reviews make me decide on the place. For example moaning about not many English families or food in a hotel or it being too quiet

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in