DS started uni last september, i think he should leave and start at a different uni sept

(138 Posts)
blueskyblues11111 Wed 10-Feb-21 11:55:34

DS is at a non RG uni, and After this year of covid stop / starting / isolating at uni plus the fact the DS got much better A’level results than he was predicted . I feel he should reapply to a RG uni to re start he uni course of economics this September . Aibu to feel like this ,,?

i have spoken to DS about this possible option , but he says he wants to stay where he is ,,,

I know I really need to stop dwelling on this option but it’s hard when 1st years have had such a tricky start to their uni life ....

BTW , i know i probably ABU smile

OP’s posts: |
88889998654e Wed 10-Feb-21 11:59:25

It's his decision, obviously.
Why do you prefer the RG university? Do you have any reason to dislike his current university, apart from it not being in the RG? Will that affect his career options?

SATSmadness Wed 10-Feb-21 11:59:37

When you say "DS got much better A'level results than he was predicted", do you mean that the CAGs he ended up with were better than his teachers had been predicting up to March 2020 ?

MuttsNutts Wed 10-Feb-21 12:03:00

“but he says he wants to stay where he is”

There’s your answer then - it’s not up to you.

AllMyPrettyOnes Wed 10-Feb-21 12:06:14

Wow.

Leave him alone. It's not up to you.

He could go to a RG uni and end up totally miserable.

blueskyblues11111 Wed 10-Feb-21 12:11:03

His results were better than the mocks he’d taken in year 12 which he’d put on his ucas form

i admit that i am not very happy with the uni he is currently at ,,, He’s had a poor start - there has been very little communication ... but i know covid will have made the situation far worse

The particular RG Uni i have seen his course at - fairs very well in the uni rankings abd has an excellent reputation . He now has the results to apply there

blueskyblues11111 Wed 10-Feb-21 12:15:51

Allmyprettyones
I do agree with you that he could go to this RG uni and be miserable ... i know it is up to him , i just can’t help feel like he’s missing out at his current uni ,,, also he hasn’t particularly gelled with his flatmates

Advertisement

CityDweller Wed 10-Feb-21 12:17:30

He’s a grown up. Let him make his own decisions.

And how do you know their communication has been bad? Unless he’s forwarding you every email he receives and/or you have access to their virtual learning environment?

Einszwei Wed 10-Feb-21 12:20:37

YABVU ... your son, who is an adult, has told you that he wants to stay where he is.

Also re communication during covid, some of the RG Universities have had the most flak from students.

SeasonFinale Wed 10-Feb-21 12:21:07

Well he has missed the standard deadline to apply anyway so unless said RG has places in clearing he wouldn't be able to anyway unless you think they will accept him as a transfer.

As he doesn't want to anyway this is a non-issue.

Onlineshopperforever Wed 10-Feb-21 12:22:16

My DSIS dropped out of uni in her first year for various reasons. She alresdy had 4 As in her A levels and then did another qualification and gained voluntary experience.

When she applied for Uni again a few years later, she was declined by a lot of the "better" universities despite meeting the entry requirements. She was never told this, but she believes that by dropping out, she was considered a liability, likely to drop out again etc. She went to uni, got a first and is now progressing very well in her career.

Seeline Wed 10-Feb-21 12:24:36

HIs decision. IF he is happy where he is, then I can't see any reason why he would want to move.

StillGoingToWork Wed 10-Feb-21 12:24:42

I love to interfere in my DCs life but should I? Absolutely not.

It's up to him what he does.

RG doesn't always mean better, either.

ShesMadeATwatOfMePam Wed 10-Feb-21 12:25:58

Time to cut the apron strings. It's none of your business.

blueskyblues11111 Wed 10-Feb-21 12:28:32

I do appreciate all your comments , I think that as there is so much emphasis on how RG uni’s are the be all and end all ... i have got to hung up on it ... b I agree , It is his life - he’s 18 , so i do need to to butt out

PresentingPercy Wed 10-Feb-21 12:34:32

He might want to do further study and then he can apply to other universities. It’s pretty disruptive to start again now. He will have to impress employers with all his soft skills. Not just his degree. So work with him on developing his cv. That will be important too. Not just uni attended.

What’s his subject?

blueskyblues11111 Wed 10-Feb-21 12:38:10

Economics

JunoTurner Wed 10-Feb-21 12:54:32

It’s not RG that I’d the be all and end all on here, so many RGs are seen as inferior.

So it depends which RG university it is for economics OP. If it’s The LSE then absolutely he should go there instead. If it’s not, then he should give up now and train to be a plumber instead.

HTH wink

Disclaimer: no this isn’t a serious post. I hope you’re not actually serious either.

SeasonFinale Wed 10-Feb-21 13:08:00

Unlikely that an RG will have spaces on their Economics courses in clearing. It is one of the most oversubscribed courses. Do you mind saying where he is? (Understand if you would rather not).

LastDuchessFerrara Wed 10-Feb-21 13:21:07

ShesMadeATwatOfMePam

Time to cut the apron strings. It's none of your business.

Rude!

blueskyblues11111 Wed 10-Feb-21 13:22:44

I’d prefer not to say , but it’s in the north east. The uni that i thought he may be better off at , for the social / sports of things and economics course is Loughborough uni

PastaAndPizzaPlease Wed 10-Feb-21 13:24:34

The deadline for applications has passed, so no guarantees he’d even be considered, especially for something competitive like economics.

If he’s happy, leave him alone. RG doesn’t mean much anyway

Miljea Wed 10-Feb-21 13:32:29

I do understand where you're coming from, OP.

My DS1 is at an ex-Poly. He needed 130 UCAS points to get in; he has 160, but in order to have gone to a higher ranking uni, he would have needed maths A level.

He feels they started at quite a low level; fortunately his course is one (Computing) where it doesn't really matter where you go, but I could imagine with an Economics degree, it might, more.

But like everyone else says, it is ultimately his decision.

FWIW, DS2 is supposedly at the best uni for his course, but they've been quite rubbish through COVID, too.

mushroom3 Wed 10-Feb-21 13:35:20

If HE wishes too, he can still apply, he may find he has fewer offer as some Unis may be full by now. The reason for the deadline it means that all applications by that deadline must be considered equally, by applying late it doesn't mean he won't be considered/get offers, particularly as it's not long after the deadline. It is his decision if he wants to stay put or apply elsewhere.

AChickenCalledDaal Wed 10-Feb-21 13:39:58

I also get where you're coming from. University experiences do vary, particularly at the moment. DD is in first year and having a better experience than some school friends in terms of contact time (whether online or face to face), support and societies etc. So it's reasonable to raise the possibility of a fresh start elsewhere if his current course isn't up to much and there may be better options.

But it's his decision. And beware of assuming that Russell Group is inherently better ... particularly when it comes to how well they are delivering socially distanced courses. The people that seem to be having the best experience among DDs friends are at well regarded, but not RG, universities.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in