Talk

Advanced search

I'm bruising and don't know why :(

(58 Posts)
opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 21:32:03

Well, I do know why I have one of them ... I caught my leg very very slightly on the corner of my bed. There was a tiny red mark perhaps the size of half a 5p. A bruise has appeared 3" long and an 1" wide.

I have a massive deep purple one on my thigh. On my other thigh one has appeared tonight.
I have one on my arm. On my knee. Two on my leg. All new. All today.
I do an office job. Nothing manual at home this week.
I also (not sure if related) can't stop wanting to wee !

Should I be concerned ? I can see another one under the skin on my upper arm sad

OP’s posts: |
Benjispruce Fri 02-Aug-19 21:34:56

I bruise easily and often can’t remember what I did. Just my small dog jumping up can bruise. As you feels ok otherwise?

Benjispruce Fri 02-Aug-19 21:36:03

Do you feel ok otherwise.? Sorry for typos .

smartiecake Fri 02-Aug-19 21:36:35

Is this a recent development? If so go to the GP asap it could be a symptom of lots of different things, you could have a health issue that is causing it. Best to get it checked out

opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 21:37:31

I'm probably just panicking ! My left leg is a mess. I'm nearly 50 - so perhaps an age thing ?
They are not sore - as in when you really bump yourself. They are just 'there' !!!

nocoolnamesleft Fri 02-Aug-19 21:37:38

If this is new for you then you definitely need to get it checked out, and will probably need blood tests.

Hazza000 Fri 02-Aug-19 21:38:30

Hi are you also having heavy periods and/or lots of infections coughs colds? Feel breathless or very fatigued? If so visit GP for urgent bloods otherwise might just be one of those things

opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 21:40:42

smartiecake

This week only ! All new yesterday/ today ... only one I can excuse as a very minor catch on the corner of my bed. Although I'm not sure why that one is so big sad

Benjispruce Fri 02-Aug-19 21:40:58

If it’s just one leg I’d be less concerned. If it’s random I’d get it checked.

givemesomehelp Fri 02-Aug-19 21:43:19

I sometimes have random bruises appear that I can't explain but how you're describing sounds very odd especially if it's all in the last day. I would get it checked if I was you

ImNotYourGranny Fri 02-Aug-19 21:43:50

Yep you need to see someone ASAP. This happened to my adult DD, suddenly started getting massive bruises for the smallest of bumps. She went to see her GP and was sent straight to A&E and ended up being in hospital for 2 weeks. Her platelets had suddenly dropped to zero so her blood couldn't clot, hence the bruising. She felt completely fine but was kept in as the risk of internal bleeding was extremely high.

opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 21:44:43

*Hazza000
No colds not breathless.
Periods heavy and last 7 days. But not unmanageable.
I don't feel terribly tired.

Thankyou all for replying.

slipperywhensparticus Fri 02-Aug-19 21:45:24

Dr and maybe an eye test you might be misjuding your distance

lululatetotheparty Fri 02-Aug-19 21:46:15

It could be a menopausal symptom (google bruising and menopause) due to thinning skin and hormonal fluctuations... but I would be going to the GP for tests to rule anything else out. I am always covered in bruises but always have been and my DD is the same. In our case there seems to be a genetic connective tissue disorder... but I would be definitely looking into new bruising.

opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 21:47:11

It's not one leg ... they are on all four limbs sad

mineofuselessinformation Fri 02-Aug-19 21:56:14

Are you hypermobile?
People who are do bruise more easily, especially as they get older. (Sorry if you think I'm insulting your age there, but I'm older than you, so no rudeness intended!)
We all start to lose collagen from our skin anyway as we age, and that tends to make bruising more likely in any event.

opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 22:05:33

*lululatetotheparty
I don't want to waste a GP appointment but I've not experienced this. I will look into menopause.

*mineofuselessinformation
Hypermobile - I wish ! Umm I get the collagen thing - but this is over just two days. Unless my hormones have plummeted - if that's a thing !

justasking111 Fri 02-Aug-19 22:07:55

Please see your GP asap. This is not normal and you will worry until it is seen.

earlgreymarl Fri 02-Aug-19 22:08:46

Are you asthmatic / take steroid inhaler? I do and bruise super easily. That can be why

opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 22:10:09

*ImNotYourGranny
Thankyou for the advice. Your poor DD. I've never heard of this.

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 02-Aug-19 22:11:56

You will not be wasting a GP appointment. This needs checking out and the first step is blood tests.

galvantula Fri 02-Aug-19 22:13:10

I had the same symptoms and result as ImNotYourGranny 's DD.

I had to go on steroids the day of my blood test and remain on them for almost 2 months, with weekly hospital blood checks.

I had more bruises than usual and also petechiae (pinprick bruising - maybe Google a photo to see if you have any).

Definitely worth a trip to GP. I got sent there after asking on Mumsnet, I was very grateful!

opinionminion Fri 02-Aug-19 22:14:53

justasking111
Perhaps I should go next week unless they all miraculously disappear. It's not a good look !
earlygreymarl
I'm not on any steroids or inhalers.
I wish there was an obvious cause.

Benjispruce Fri 02-Aug-19 22:17:49

Your GP will be able to put your mind at rest hopefully and run a basic blood count.

Benjispruce Fri 02-Aug-19 22:21:15

shine365.marshfieldclinic.org/cancer-care/unexplained-bruising/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »