Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What have I done to my foot- very painful (picture)

(111 Posts)
Neverletmego27 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:11:15

I tripped over thin air after having pins and needles...landed on the side of my foot and now it's swollen up like a golf ball on the side. What have I done to it? Anything I can do to help it heal? I've got a 40 minute walk to school in the morning.

Haggisfish Mon 23-Nov-15 21:12:32

I'd be getting a taxi for the school run! Might have just sprained it or damaged ligaments. Elevate and ice and anti inflammatories.

NoelHeadbands Mon 23-Nov-15 21:12:53

Err I think you've broken it

Haggisfish Mon 23-Nov-15 21:13:33

Seriously how far are you from nearest a and e?

NoelHeadbands Mon 23-Nov-15 21:14:26

Sorry, to expand, my daughter had a similar looking 'golf ball' on her foot after a stumble. It was a broken bone

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 23-Nov-15 21:16:21

Get an x-ray. Could be a sprain, could be a broken bone.

PotteringAlong Mon 23-Nov-15 21:16:57

I also reckon you've broken that! My DH's looked like that! That's an A and E job I think.

Hassled Mon 23-Nov-15 21:17:00

Well you won't be walking anywhere tomorrow. That needs to be seen (non-medical but bloody hell, just look at the picture). Who else can take the kids to school? In the meantime, ice and ibuprofen.

GloriaHotcakes Mon 23-Nov-15 21:18:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trixymalixy Mon 23-Nov-15 21:21:04

I think it's broken! I would head to a&e!!

Neverletmego27 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:21:06

I'm a single mum, dd is in bed now. I didn't think it was broken! A n e in the morning I guess. It's very painful

Neverletmego27 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:46:11

I've borrowed some cash from a friend to get dd to school and then me to a n e in the morning. Thanks for your help mumsnet. I would never have guessed it was broken but I can feel things moving about in there! I think I have broken a bone!

Hassled Mon 23-Nov-15 21:54:43

I think it might be useful at this stage to come up with a worst-case-scenario plan - if it is broken, you're going to need a longer-term arrangement for school runs etc. Do any friends live close who could help?

Haggisfish Mon 23-Nov-15 21:57:24

Bleurgh-yes to making contingency plans.

Neverletmego27 Mon 23-Nov-15 22:01:42

I go to uni, so have a childminder part-time. Sure we can work something out there. I have good friends so i think I'll be Ok if it's broken.

EugenesAxe Mon 23-Nov-15 22:04:59

It's PAD all over - pain, abnormality, deformity - so I'd say you've broken it.

I hope you haven't though.

Haggisfish Mon 23-Nov-15 22:20:19

God, what a way to describe it!! Hope your abnormal, painful deformed foot allows you some sleep!! grin

Neverletmego27 Mon 23-Nov-15 22:32:14

Ha ha ! :D My friend says she thinks it's a torn ligament but only an x-ray will tell won't it?

acatcalledjohn Mon 23-Nov-15 22:45:34

Might it be a ganglion? In the wrong place they can press on nerves and be agony.

Neverletmego27 Mon 23-Nov-15 22:51:08

I did it after a fall...fell backwards and landed on the side of my foot and heard a crunch so I doubt its anything long term like that - though it does look like it, I agree!

trixymalixy Mon 23-Nov-15 22:56:35

My sister broke her foot stepping off a kerb and going over on her foot. It looked like your foot.

Neverletmego27 Mon 23-Nov-15 23:10:34

Oh dear . I think the general consensus on here is that it is broken. I really hope it isn't, I've got lots of things I need to do!

Neverletmego27 Tue 24-Nov-15 08:59:40

Well, the swelling has gone down (but it's still there) and I can't put my foot down with unbearable pain. I'm hopping everywhere! Time to go a n e I think....

Haggisfish Tue 24-Nov-15 09:39:42

You definitely need to go to a and e, sooner rather than later in case it takes a while.

kronenborg Tue 24-Nov-15 09:53:22

i'm afraid it looks rather like an avulsion fracture of the 5th metatarsal (typical for a foot inversion injury of the type you describe), but that can only be confirmed by an x-ray.

usually treated non-surgically, with a rather fancy immobilizing boot, with limited weight-bearing for 6 weeks.

given that you've been in no great rush to get to A&E (which is not a criticism, by the way), you might want to ring around local A&E departments to establish current waiting times before rocking up there, as you will likely be in for a long wait...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now