Talk

Advanced search

Tablet PC

(10 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Mon 25-Jul-11 21:17:49

I am looking for one for DS1 and possibly for myself at a later date.

Aside from the Ipad which are good?

For DS1 I don't want to spend a fortune tbh it will mainly be for assistance with learning.

NetworkGuy Mon 25-Jul-11 21:49:31

If you look for Android (v2.2 or v2.3) you might find an 8" or 10" tablet below 200 pounds. Not sure of age of your DS, so you might get better info (esp on suitable applications) if you explain your needs a bit more... Maybe an owner will recommend things they use. (I don't have any tablet PC at present.)

If you went for newest (v3 Android, known as Honeycomb, I think) you would be looking at 350-600 pounds and those prices are on a par with the iPad / iPad v2.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 25-Jul-11 22:14:25

NWG, DS1 is going to be 13 on Friday. I was looking at this

niceguy2 Tue 26-Jul-11 10:05:21

I have to say that personally I'm not a fan of resistive touch screens.

Plus at this price range, the tablet will be a mish mash compromise. battery life is likely to be poor. Access to apps is limited to their marketplace rather than Google's so you will be limited to their apps. And performance is likely to suck.

If that's the sort of price range you want, I'd suggest looking at a netbook instead. I think that would help more with learning than a tablet. I honestly think the resistive touchscreen will mean he will not use it as the sheer amount of poking at the screen will end up annoying him no end.

5GoMadOnAZ650 Tue 26-Jul-11 10:10:14

I got one of those for Christmas, it had given up the ghost by boxing day hmm I certainly wouldn't recommend it, the screen is unresponsive, the app Market is dire and it's low quality imo. I got a full refund and waited for the ipad2.

rumpleteaser Tue 26-Jul-11 10:40:11

Have you had a look at the Tabtech one? A friend got this recently and loves it and it's cheaper!

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 26-Jul-11 11:09:46

Rumple thanks am looking for one now grin

NetworkGuy Tue 26-Jul-11 11:37:21

If you can afford the extra 20 quid, I'd think the > Disgo 7900 < (running Android v2.2) there would probably be additional features that v2.1 cannot handle. Play.com also offers the same tablet with free delivery.

One change with v2.2 (I think) is that apps can be stored on the microSD storage card, so can be moved to another device easily. Not sure of the exact specification differences between the 2.1 and 2.2 tablets as far as USB, camera, etc, but if I could afford the more expensive one, I would go for it as it has a later (though clearly not latest) version of s/w.

lazydog Thu 28-Jul-11 19:37:19

Was going to recommend this that a friend has and it's really nice to use - especially with the optional docking station: www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transformer-Android-docking-keyboard/dp/B004TB0EXY/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311877910&sr=1-11 but I see that you're looking at about the same price in pounds as it is in dollars over here shock so well over-budget! sad

lazydog Thu 28-Jul-11 19:40:59

Yikes - and another friend bought this one last weekend (I've not had a play with it, but he's happy!) and paid $500 confused : www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Xoom-Android-Tablet-battery/dp/B004SG6BK0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311878300&sr=1-1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now