Talk

Advanced search

Dinner party dilemma: Which starter goes with chicken pie?

(57 Posts)
MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:45:53

Hi all! Some advice needed and all suggestions welcome! Having a small lunch party and decided to make a creamy chicken/leek/sweetcorn pie for main as i can make most of it beforehand and pop it in the oven when guest arrive. Guests will bring dessert. They are big eaters so I'm thinking about having a starter as well but have no idea what goes with my chicken pie?
Help please!
(Note: we're not in the UK so no covid restrictions in my country of residence...)

OP’s posts: |
TeddyIsaHe Wed 21-Oct-20 18:47:05

If you’re going classic, a really good soup and delicious bread always goes down well.

toomuchfaster Wed 21-Oct-20 18:47:30

What are you serving with the pie?

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:50:25

@TeddyIsaHe soup is a great idea! Maybe a velvety pumpkin soup?

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:53:16

@toomuchfaster rice as side dish and an "autumnal" salad of watercress, sliced apple, grapes & croutons. DH seems to think it's a lot of food already but the guests are big eaters and I don't want them to feel like there's not enough food confused

HollowTalk Wed 21-Oct-20 18:53:22

That's going to be a really heavy meal with soup, bread, pie and dessert!

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:55:28

@HollowTalk yeah, my DH says the same. I asked what they were bringing for dessert but was told it's a surprise. So no idea if it's going to be a cheese board or cake...

VanCleefArpels Wed 21-Oct-20 18:55:37

Smoked salmon blinis with pre lunch drinks. Seriously nothing carb heavy (and rice with a pie????)

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:57:35

Maybe some finger food or canapés instead of a starter? Just to nibble on something with a glass of wine before the meal?
Again, if anyone can give me any ideas, I'd be very grateful! grin

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:59:48

@VanCleefArpels am I committing a big faux pas with my rice?? blush we always have rice cause it's yummy with the creaminess of the pie. Should I do a different side dish?
The pie itself has chicken, ham, leek, sweetcorn and cream (and puff pastry).

Onedropbeat Wed 21-Oct-20 19:00:05

Pate and French toast?

Go a bit retro with a prawn cocktail?

SummerHouse Wed 21-Oct-20 19:01:45

Sorry to sidetrack op but have I read this right? Pie, rice and salad? This is not a combo I have ever encountered.

Pie sounds lovely though. You had me at pie.

Deux Wed 21-Oct-20 19:01:56

Rice with pie?! shock.

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 19:02:34

@Onedropbeat I thought about chicken liver pate but thought that would be overkill with the chicken pie. Like the prawn cocktail idea though, it's not too heavy

AdaColeman Wed 21-Oct-20 19:03:23

Melon or fresh figs with Parma (or your local version) ham.
Or
Pan fried scallops or prawns on wilted bitter leaves with a citrus dressing. Just a small portion per person.
Or
Fish mousse and toast.

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 19:03:53

@SummerHouse @Deux oh my! I'm gathering from a couple of pp that my side dishes are not ideal... eek! What side dishes do you recommend?

Onedropbeat Wed 21-Oct-20 19:04:27

Yes I hadn’t thought about the double chicken element of pate

I love a prawn cocktail

Also love Parma ham/ melon / burratta type thing a PP mentioned

Deep fried Camembert with red currant dip?

Pomegranatemolasses Wed 21-Oct-20 19:04:42

Yes, something like prawn cocktail, or maybe smoked salmon. Soup is not a good idea, too similar in texture to pie filling.

iklboo Wed 21-Oct-20 19:04:53

Garlic mushrooms
Pate & sourdough toast
Baked Camembert
Charcuterie board

I've never had rice with pie - not something I'd eat but if you all like it there's no problem.

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 19:06:15

@AdaColeman mouthwatering suggestions!!!! Thank you so much! Fresh figs and Serrano Ham can even be turned into canapés we can have with drinks beforehand. Great suggestion, thank you!

Deux Wed 21-Oct-20 19:08:07

MissMoiselle

*@SummerHouse* @Deux oh my! I'm gathering from a couple of pp that my side dishes are not ideal... eek! What side dishes do you recommend?

Maybe you live in a hot place OP and rice is acceptable. Really don’t mean to offend. smile

I’m Scottish and can’t imagine serving anything other than potatoes of some kind and something like green beans/carrots.

That said MIL is forrin and would serve rice and salad.

DannyGlickWindowTapping Wed 21-Oct-20 19:08:53

I'm doing something similar soon (restrictions allowing), and am having antipasti as a starter. I am also making parmesan shortbread "cookies" to go with drinks.

AmandaHoldensLips Wed 21-Oct-20 19:09:13

Pie without MASH????
Don't ever say that in East London.
It will get you arrested.

MissMoiselle Wed 21-Oct-20 19:09:24

A baked camembert and red currant dip as a shared starter could also be nice, thanks @iklboo and @Onedropbeat

Onceuponatimethen Wed 21-Oct-20 19:10:55

I would go ham and figs

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in