Middle Eastern Recipe Book

(11 Posts)
pocketsized Tue 14-Jun-16 20:52:05

We've recently discovered middle eastern food via a coupke of restaurants and I'm keen to have a go at home.

I know I can look online, but I like a book, with pictures. I'm a pretty competent cook, but I'm looking for sometging fairly straightforward for weeknight meals.

Any suggestions?

MoonlightandMusic Tue 14-Jun-16 21:12:13

Persiana by Sabrina Ghayour is a good place to start - the recipes are really straightforward and you can find the majority of ingredients in the supermarket if you don't have a decent Asian shop nearby.
The Honey & Co one by Itamar Shrulovich/Sarit Packer is also really good (particuarly their prawn and orange dish (on the MN YT channel too)) once you've got into your stride.

TwinsplusAnotherTwo Tue 14-Jun-16 22:56:30

Diana Henry does lovely middle eastern recipes. Quite a lot can be found online (if you want to test them first) and Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons is a great book.

Jerusalem by Ottolenghi is amazing, but maybe not for midweek meals!

I love this type of food!

Blondie1984 Tue 14-Jun-16 23:41:19

I second Moonlight's suggestion of Persiana by Sabrina Ghayour - it's a really good book with some fab recipes

SwedishEdith Tue 14-Jun-16 23:56:57

Also Claudia Roden is good. I like [[ www.amazon.co.uk/Tamarind-Saffron-Favourite-Recipes-Penguin/dp/0140466940 Tamarind & Saffron]]

I do this a lot Meatballs with tomato and eggs. It's easy and gorgeous.

pocketsized Wed 15-Jun-16 08:16:17

Great, thanks all, I will have a look at all your suggestions smile

Crikeyblimey Wed 15-Jun-16 12:20:28

I third the Persiana suggestion too - fantastic.

Also Vegistan and Snackistan are fabulous too.

PurpleRibbons Wed 15-Jun-16 12:22:39

I was going to suggest Veggistan by Sally Butcher (great name for author of a vegetarian recipe book!). I love Middle Eastern food.

whois Wed 15-Jun-16 12:59:15

I quite like Vegistan but a few things I've made have been a bit bland.

Persiana is good but a few of the measurements are a bit off in terms of salt and stuff.

Cookingongas Thu 16-Jun-16 18:35:40

The jewelled kitchen is amazing. My favouritete- particularly for every day meals. I also love Jerusalem.

I have arabesque by Claudia Rosen which is a great read but I've never cooked from it so perhaps it's not one I'd recommend.

pocketsized Thu 16-Jun-16 18:42:20

Thanks for the additional recommendations, my Amazon account is taking a bit of a hit...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now