Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How shall I word my e-mail re: incorrect listing and steep p & p charge?

(10 Posts)
Simply Sat 19-Jul-08 09:13:19

I want to write to the seller to say that the brand new trainers I bought from him aren't leather as the listing says and also to ask him to justify the £6.50 p & p charge when it actually cost £2.13 to post. I fully accept that the seller adds a bit in there for packaging (one sheet of brown paper and some packing tape) and time but I think he is taking the mick. What should I say? I'm happy to keep the trainers although of course I'd have liked them to be leather as listed. I got them for the starting price of £4.99 btw and he has sold trainers he'd bought in a job lot several times before so knows the real postage cost. I'd like to have some money back as I feel I've paid too much for postage. I've re-read his feedback and no-one has mentioned p & p though it was £4.50 for some pairs and £6.50 for others with no apparent link between size or weight for the difference. How shall I word it? Any ideas, please?

maidamess Sat 19-Jul-08 09:15:33

I don't think you can ask for some of the money back. He must have listed the p&p price when you were bidding. I don't see how you can ask for any of that back, you wouldn't go into a shop and say'Oh I've just paid £20 for this dress. I'd actually like to pay £15 now please, where's my fiver?'

maidamess Sat 19-Jul-08 09:16:11

But I think you can put neutral feedback/neg for bad listing and let him know he's listed them wrongly.

Simply Sat 19-Jul-08 09:24:47

Yes, I saw that the p&p charge was £6.50 when I looked at the listing. I also checked his feedback to see if others thought it was appropriate. As there weren't any negative or neutral comments about excessive postage cost so I went ahead and bid thinking it was fair i.e. cost £5 or so to post. To then receive it and see that it actually only cost £2.13 plus some paper, packing tape and time giving him a profit of about £3 doesn't seem right. I thought sellers weren't supposed to aim to make a profit on postage charges?

I want to e-mail him as I give very good feedback to good sellers and I want to give him the chance to explain the charge, maybe offer a refund (someone in the past has sent me an e-mail after posting the item saying it cost a lot less than she thought and so she was giving me £2 back or something and that's before I'd received it) and perhaps just say sorry, I made a mistake for the incorrect listing.

maidamess Sat 19-Jul-08 09:30:21

Well, you could try but I don't think your chances are high. You accepted the £6.50 until you saw what it actually cost.

If you knew what shops actually pay for the their stock, you would never buy anything again!

Simply Sat 19-Jul-08 14:49:12

smile at your last comment! I see what you're saying.

I think I'll e-mail and ask if he's made an error with the postage and point out the error with the item description and see how he replies.

pgwithnumber3 Sat 19-Jul-08 14:51:09

I would be more pissed off that the trainers were described as leather and they aren't rather than the postage!

twocutedarlings Sat 19-Jul-08 14:58:29

Personally i think you should have checked if they had made an error on P&P prior to buying the item tbh.

I would certainly ask them why they had listed the item as leather when it not? your entitiled to a refund for this reason, but not for the high P&P charges. After all for all we know there nearest post office might be 30 miles away.

I would ask for a part refund as the item is not as discribed, but i wouldnt say anything about the postage.

HTH

MrsMagooo Sat 19-Jul-08 15:51:30

I don't think it's fair to ask for anything back re P&P as you knew what the P&P was before you bid & so therefor excepted that price IYKWIM.

Yes it's annoying that he charged you more then what it cost him to post but I don't think it's fair to wangle on that when it was clearly stated.

But I would ask for a refund due to the fact that the trainers aren't as described as they're not leather so I would email on that basis wink

Xx

Simply Sat 19-Jul-08 22:28:45

Thanks for the posts and advice which I'll follow. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now