Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Advice please re refunding a buyer

(10 Posts)
SeaWitchly Wed 15-Feb-17 21:09:07

Buyer messaged me today to say her item had arrived but that it was damaged. It was a hair accessory and from the photo buyer provided it seemed that a couple of feathers had fallen off in transit even though I had packaged item carefully with tissue paper.

I am now wondering what to do re return/refund...

I guess I could -

1] offer to refund her the cost of the item and postage and let her keep the item.
2] offer to partial refund and let her keep the item
3] request that she open a 'not as described' case with ebay and I believe they then send her a returns label which I pay for in addition to the sellers fees. I suppose I could then open a case with Royal Mail for compensation as the item was perfect when it was sent... But I wonder how likely it will be that RM will actually refund and not try and claim that it was packaged inappropriately or was damaged prior to/after postage.

What would all you more experienced ebayers suggest? I have not had a return or damaged item before so this is all new to me!

SeaWitchly Wed 15-Feb-17 21:18:58

And is it best that I get buyer to open a return case with ebay rather than just go ahead and refund her straight away?

Happybee09 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:32:09

I would offer option 2 - whether it's been done purposely or not it's unlikely that you'll sell it on if the feathers are the feature

SeaWitchly Wed 15-Feb-17 21:59:28

Thanks happy... so would you just refund her the cost of the item but not the cost of the postage? And do you think that i should ask the buyer to open a case via ebay or is it best to just resolve it between the two of us?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Happybee09 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:02:23

I would open a case with eBay just to cover your own back - explain to them as you have done here.
I think it depends how much the item cost and if it's still useable - if it was a low price I would refund cost but not for the postage as she's still able to use the item.

19lottie82 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:04:43

Yes, if there will be any form of refund issued then always ask the buyer to open a case. This saves you a whole lot of admin hassle, makes sure that you are refunded any fees hat you are due and also closes the matter if a partial refund is issued.

Back to your OP...... it's entirely up to you. I guess it would depend on how much did you sell the item for? Can it be easily repaired? Would you be willing to pay £3 to have returned to youso you could repair it and re sell it?

If it was a low value item personally I would just refund the buyer in full and tell her to keep it. Offering a partial refund would also be an acceptable solution IMO however.

19lottie82 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:06:57

Offering to refund without postage would be considered a partial refund, so be aware that the buyer doesn't have to accept this.

But it does seem a fair offer, as long as the item can be repaired.

SeaWitchly Thu 16-Feb-17 10:20:25

Thank you so much for all your help. It has been very useful!
I have asked buyer to open a returns case with ebay and have offered her a full return for item and postage as it appears that item is too damaged to be wearable [and to be fair in hindsight I probably should have packaged in a box to avoid this happening]. So I am chalking it up to a learning experience and am just lucky in a way that the item only sold for 99p with £3.95 postage [although it was probably closer to £20 when I originally bought it and it has never been worn]. But not a biggy really.
Thanks to you all for your advice!

19lottie82 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:25:05

If it's too damaged to be worn, why do you want t back (and to pay £3 for the privilege?!)? Just refund the buyer and tell them to bin it.

SeaWitchly Thu 16-Feb-17 17:50:49

Thanks Lottie, that is exactly what I have done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now