Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Sent wrong item...

(14 Posts)
SilkieChicken Fri 14-Sep-12 10:26:41

I was sent completely the wrong item (doll for DD) by a business seller, I contacted the seller who asked me to email a photograph which I duly did. I then had no response from the seller so opened a dispute through ebay. The seller has now replied saying that if I return the item they will refund me but not the return postage.

Should I be liable for this considering it was the seller's mistake and nothing to do with me? It's not really worth sending it back if I have to pay the postage and I will have to go and buy the right one for DD. Grr.

fergoose Fri 14-Sep-12 10:52:16

the seller should give you the return postage but you can't enforce it

I guess you could have opened a not received dispute and got a full refund as you didn't receive what you ordered.

Make sure you leave appropriate feedback and stars once it is finished.

SilkieChicken Fri 14-Sep-12 11:25:46

Thanks Fergoose, I suspected I might be relying on the seller having morals. Oh well. That's what I'll do if anything like this happens again. I thought that the seller would be apologetic.

Am I being unreasonable leaving negative feedback and one stars for him now?

LineRunner Fri 14-Sep-12 14:07:42

If I sent a buyer the wrong item, I would definitely pay for the return postage, and be very apologetic.

I think you need to be honest about your feedback, if the seller won't refund your return postage. That would be a Negative, with 1 or 2 stars for pretty much everything. Feedback is about your experience as a buyer. It's fair to allow the seller time to put things right, and to tell them calmly what you would like them to do - but after that the seller has to take it on the chin.

fergoose Fri 14-Sep-12 16:28:49

Yes leave a neg and one star - definitely.

SilkieChicken Fri 14-Sep-12 17:13:15

I told him that I will only be happy with either him paying the return postage or a partial refund - no answer from this morning.

Should I just close the case and leave the feedback or will he have to reply again?

Thanks so much for your advice ebay gurus!

fergoose Fri 14-Sep-12 17:48:34

no don't close the case - you want to wait to escalate it.

SilkieChicken Fri 14-Sep-12 18:16:07

Oh... how do I do that? I'm new to having problems.

fergoose Fri 14-Sep-12 18:44:10

when you click on the case you have opened if you are able to escalate the case the option will be there for you. It appears after 10 days I think?

OhNoMyFoot Sat 15-Sep-12 06:12:55

Yes escalate it after the set days, it will spear as an option within the case under where you can reply to the seller. Basically you are saying we can't come to a resolution and are asking eBay to decide. They will come in your favourite they will refund your full costs and probably won't even tell you to return it!

SilkieChicken Sat 15-Sep-12 09:13:22

I'll wait and escalate the case then. There's no point in communicating with the seller anymore, his latest message has said that because I opened a dispute they won't help me.

My poor lappy has had a few choice expletives thrown at it this morning!

SilkieChicken Sun 23-Sep-12 19:09:01

Thanks so much for all of your advice.

After many aggressive, rude messages from seller I escalated the case and was refunded full amount within ten minutes.

Left appropriate feedback and stars.

Pinot Mon 24-Sep-12 14:52:33

Good for you smile smile

OhNoMyFoot Mon 24-Sep-12 17:52:35

Good stuff

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: