Talk

Advanced search

Football restarting. Why?

(141 Posts)
HMSSophie Fri 15-May-20 07:48:48

If premiere league football - famously a sport played by people from the same household - restarts, WHY?

I am angered by this unreasonably. Football? Is that what we've come to? That the (primarily but not only) male masses need their dummy? That the footballers themselves can't lose a season in which to shine? That restarting will "justify" their obscene salaries?

OP’s posts: |
Bigfishylittlefishy Fri 15-May-20 07:52:38

Can’t get worked up over it. If they test repeatedly, then it’s relatively safe, and if it gives some men out there some joy? What really is the problem? My husband and sons will be happy I’m sure.

I can’t wait until grass roots football starts again my sons are absolutely itching to play.

MrsWhites Fri 15-May-20 08:01:24

I personally can’t wait for football to start (and I’m female), for me if they are being tested regularly it is safer for them to play than the environment nurses, teachers, bus drivers etc are working in.

Mindmedley Fri 15-May-20 08:03:49

So much money surrounding the premiership, and money talks. I actually think it will be a good thing, fans of all ages and backgrounds follow football, from all over the world, it’s important to keep that interest there for the economy as much as the clubs.

DanielleHirondelle Fri 15-May-20 08:05:38

Money.

daisypond Fri 15-May-20 08:08:12

If premiere league football - famously a sport played by people from the same household - restarts, WHY?

Because it’s their job! Are you suggesting that only people who live in the same household as their colleagues should be working?

Notonthestairs Fri 15-May-20 08:08:26

It's quite difficult to sustain gambling without sport.

So yes money.

KaptenKrusty Fri 15-May-20 08:10:03

It’s being played behind closed doors so there won’t be anyone at the games ! I don’t get the problem ? Should everything just be cancelled forever 😂

TravellingSpoon Fri 15-May-20 08:10:30

Also, the PL will need to.pay back hundreds of millions in TV rights to Sky and BT if it doesnt resume.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 15-May-20 08:13:55

Why shouldn't they? They can monitor players' health with lots of testing and it would be fairly easy to contact trace. Plus they're unlikely to be going to work on the tube...

leckford Fri 15-May-20 08:27:20

Money - football is now a massive business world wide, a vehicle for laundering dodgy money and huge amounts made on betting.

Namechangervaver Fri 15-May-20 08:29:33

Money.

BackInTime Fri 15-May-20 08:31:30

If kids are now playing football with their mates in parks then premiership players can play in empty stadiums.

LostJobtoday Fri 15-May-20 08:32:36

Who cares, life has to start getting back to normal and a lot of people like football (not me!)

MotheringShites Fri 15-May-20 08:33:09

What exactly is your problem OP?

daisypond Fri 15-May-20 08:33:14

If kids are now playing football with their mates in parks

Well, kids should definitely not be doing that.

Susiesue61 Fri 15-May-20 08:33:50

We can't wait! As Bigfishy said, mine are so desperate to play!
And they're all Liverpool fans 😆
It will give them something to look forward to

ITonyah Fri 15-May-20 08:35:24

I'm glad. My dd loves football. She can't wait to watch some matches and I hope for her sake she can play again soon, and ride her horse competitively and do athletics.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Fri 15-May-20 08:42:42

Are you proposing that we all stay in stasis forever, OP? The more things that begin to revive, the better.

Beautifulbunny Fri 15-May-20 08:44:07

Money.

I'd like to think my sons football training could start up again. It's outdoors, they could just do the training not the matches. Would be relatively easy to stay apart.

Doubt it will be allowed though

Spam88 Fri 15-May-20 08:49:49

They really should open pubs before football starts again, I really shouldn't have to suffer all the games being on at home.

imsooverthisdrama Fri 15-May-20 08:51:58

Yeah like others say money ,
Also people absolutely love it and if it's safe to do so why not .
After all these weeks of doom and gloom people need something. You may not enjoy it , I'm not a fan but millions do .

avroroad Fri 15-May-20 08:57:06

I am angered by this unreasonably. Football?

It's not quite the same as a few kids playing football in the park though, is it?

For many people it is their job. The players, coaches, physio, medics even down to admin staff. People need to work. People are allowed to work. You act as if they are just going back for a laugh. It's their job.

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Fri 15-May-20 08:58:01

Money.

catsandlavender Fri 15-May-20 09:02:51

Fairly certain the rest of this season will be played behind closed doors anyway. I can’t wait, it’s been a bleak few months with no football frankly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »