Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

toddler still has cradle cap- best remedies?

(16 Posts)
honeyapple Tue 13-Oct-09 14:46:02

It doesn't really bother me hmm- but my 23 mth old DS2 still has cradle cap. He has gorgeous blonde hair so you can't see his scummy scalp too much! But I can't stop picking at it shock. Obviously not the best thing to do. Other problem is he really hates having his hair washed... does putting olive oil on head actually work or just end up with a very slimy smelly child???
Isnt cradle cap supposed to have gone by now?

Thanks

MrsBadger Tue 13-Oct-09 14:50:51

dentinox shampoo

does the opposite to olive oil ie dries it up so it crumbles off, so don;t use both at once

also smells of turkish delight

BellaBear Tue 13-Oct-09 14:51:54

same situation here so will watch thread.

dentinox doesn't seem to work much - maybe not using it often enough

hazeyjane Tue 13-Oct-09 14:52:15

Lanes teatree oil shampoo for kids seems to be working for dd2, when everything else has failed.smile

insertwittynicknameHERE Tue 13-Oct-09 14:54:29

Dentinox cradle cap shampoo, or cider vinegar (sparingly). The cider vinegar works wonders I used it for DD1 who had terrible cradle cap, but didn't much like the smell so started using dentinox and it worked for us.

mrsgboring Tue 13-Oct-09 14:54:43

do not use olive oil - it encourages cradle cap. other oils will work but best is cultivating zen like calmness and ignoring scalp completely.

BellaBear Tue 13-Oct-09 14:56:09

how long do you have to do the ignoring for? DS is 21mo and cradle cap appeared as if by magic overnight at 12 months.

<not doing too well at the zen thingy>

Poledra Tue 13-Oct-09 14:58:30

I found the best thing to clear it was....

a nit comb! DD2 had cradle cap from a tiny baby till about 6 months ago. Since she started preschool and I started the weekly nitcomb, it's cleared up a treat.

'Tis a bugger cleaning the nit comb of the flaky bits though.

AMumInScotland Tue 13-Oct-09 15:00:56

T-Gel medicated shampoo worked on DS, on what I assumed was cradle cap. But it may have been some other kind of scalp condition of course!

honeyapple Tue 13-Oct-09 16:47:18

I do use dentinox as his shampoo- but it doesn't seem to be making any difference- but then he probably only gets his hair washed with it once a week blush. I just can't face the screams!

I am failing miserably at the zen calmness- every time he comes for a cuddle I can't help but pick at it- getting a big scale off is very satisfying...

will look into T- gel and Lanes teatree shampoo- thank you.

Surely the nit comb might be a bit painful? (I have a metal nitty gritty)

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 13-Oct-09 16:54:16

I realised both of mine had really scally scalps a couple of weeks ago, they both have thick hair and I hadnt noticed shock. I suspect mine might be from not having shampoo washed out completely as we tend to use the bath water to rinse them. Used a normal plastic comb to comb hair the wrong way, which removed a lot, then did it again when theyd been sat in the bath with wet hair for ages, which got rid of the rest. Now rise with a couple of jugs full of clean water from tap after hair wash, seems to have worked so far....

purpleduck Tue 13-Oct-09 17:04:33

a bit of tea tree in vitamin e oil works great .....just dab on and let it be - it will come off

whomovedmychocolate Tue 13-Oct-09 17:07:20

Yep sunflower oil and the nitty gritty comb did for DD's cradle cap

honeyapple Tue 13-Oct-09 18:22:53

thanks all

I have just given DS2 a bath and had a good massage of his head with dentinox. (despite the protests)

tea tree oil- I have some of that... need to get the vit e oil... chemist? health food shop?

Surfermum Tue 13-Oct-09 18:27:23

Olive oil and a nit comb here too!

Squiz Wed 14-Oct-09 11:14:29

Both my sons had this - finally got rid of it on the 6(!) year old with some prescription foul smelling coal tar stuff, but this is only for over 6 year olds. My 5 year old son also has this and the Dr has advised him to use T-gel and they have prescribed this. At this age it's not cradle cap but a type of scalp eczema - so best not to be too rough, if you scratch it with a comb or pick it, it could bleed and become infected. I would get some advice from GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now