Talk

Advanced search

To think its not ok to call your dd a stupid cow?

(55 Posts)
Marne Wed 16-Sep-09 16:06:04

Just coming out of school and a child stepped in front of a car, her dad reacted by shouting 'YOU STUPID COW, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING!', the poor girl was so upset, i felt like giving her a hug, her dad continued to shout at her as she was crying.

AIBU in thinking this is no way to talk to a 6/7 year old.

I know he was shocked that his dd stepped out but the poor little mite was so upset.

Scorps Wed 16-Sep-09 16:07:37

YANBU

i also hate it when people call their little girls bitches. sad

famishedass Wed 16-Sep-09 16:09:01

YANBU - I hope you gave him a suitably dirty look.

QOD Wed 16-Sep-09 16:09:20

shock probably, I have seen sobbing parents berating their "lost" kids in the same way

nicespam Wed 16-Sep-09 16:10:19

er give him a break, he probably didn't think and was angry and upset.

jeez

mathanxiety Wed 16-Sep-09 16:10:24

Abusive sad. Poor child. If he does this in public, what's her life like at home? I would suspect she gets a lot worse treatment there. You would only feel uninhibited enough to say something like this in public if you had already crossed many other lines previously.

civilfawlty Wed 16-Sep-09 16:10:54

Not the right words, but I do think scaring them is probably the only way to get them not to walk in front of cars/put hand on iron etcetc...

civilfawlty Wed 16-Sep-09 16:11:56

Should qualify that by saying I just mean a short sharp shock.

mindalina Wed 16-Sep-09 16:14:11

Well maybe he panicked because his precious child nearly got hit by a car? I have yelped at ds along the lines of 'stupid child what are you doing' when he's tried to leg it in the road and I am scared shitless he will get hit by a car.

Sorry but 'You would only feel uninhibited enough to say something like this in public if you had already crossed many other lines previously' is a wildly ott by my book.

DeFluffMyFanjo Wed 16-Sep-09 16:15:05

Hey come join me on the other similar thread, apparently I'm judgy and unhelpful because I think its wrong to call your dd a 'fucking bitch'.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 16-Sep-09 16:15:59

Better the "poor little mite" be upset because her dad shouted at her, than for her to be under the wheels of a car.

I smacked my DS1 in public when he tried it, and I yelled at him. He's 22 now, hasn't stepped under a bus in all that time.

Marne Wed 16-Sep-09 16:16:01

The dad looked --like a chav-- a bit rough, i know it must have been a shock but the car was quite far away and going very slowly.

I gave him a very hard look (felt like saying something as the little girl was so upset) her mum was there too and didn't bat an eyelid.

nicespam Wed 16-Sep-09 16:16:55

lordy

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 16-Sep-09 16:18:36

Of course it is not okay to call your child names but he probably reacted out of fear at the thought of his daughter about to be being run over and killed.

Enjoy being better than a lot of us.

Marne Wed 16-Sep-09 16:22:45

Dd ran on to a main road last week, i shouted her name not 'COW'.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 16-Sep-09 16:24:22

mathanxiety - you are talking bollocks, sorry but you are.

ThePhantomPlopper Wed 16-Sep-09 16:27:01

Not very nice, but it was probably shock, I'm sure I shouted something similar when my DS nearly ran under a car last year.

madnotmad Wed 16-Sep-09 16:27:14

Maybe, just maybe, he was reacting to a terrifying near miss and didn't think?

Honestly.

Tortington Wed 16-Sep-09 16:28:56

the dad was in shock - his kid nearly got killed

jesus fucked a duck

AngryFromManchester Wed 16-Sep-09 16:29:52

I have screamed at my children if they have oput themselves in danger like that, but then again i am a tad rough chav hmm

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 16-Sep-09 16:30:16

Custardo grin

sherby Wed 16-Sep-09 16:32:38

cringing all over that you even bothered to mention he looked like a chav

so if he was head to toe in boden would it have been ok then hmm

ChopsTheDuck Wed 16-Sep-09 16:37:04

I've really screamed at my kids in a situation like that, in front of all the neighbours and was soo embarassed. I didn't called them things like that though.

I don't think he necessarily calls her that all the time at home, but he probably does have a tendancy to do it when angry or stressed.

Agreee that looking like a chav is completely irrelevant.

Morloth Wed 16-Sep-09 16:41:59

Actually I think if your kid almost gets hit by a car you get a pass from me on whatever you yell at them.

Now if we are talking about the way some people speak to their children in non-stressful/emergency situations that is a bit different.

But his heart rate just sky rocketed, his brain freaked out and his blood ran cold - well that is what happened when DS ran into the road. He only ever did it once, because I went off my fucking rocker at him.

OtterInaSkoda Wed 16-Sep-09 16:54:19

Not nice, no. But one family's "stupid cow" is another family's "numpty" or "fool". Not that either is particularly nice I suppose but this was an extreme situation.
I agree with mindalina , too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now