Talk

Advanced search

to not want a 15 year old girl I don't know at all to stay at my house for three weeks?

(67 Posts)
emkana Sun 01-Mar-09 23:46:01

My aunt phoned me from Germany - she has a friend who has a daughter who would like to come to the UK to improve her English... so aunt thought of me... [sigh]

aibu to not want some teenager moping around my house for three weeks?

moondog Sun 01-Mar-09 23:46:43

No
God no.

emkana Sun 01-Mar-09 23:47:24

Aunt thinks it would be "nice" for me as girl could play with my children... can't see it myself

MamaG Sun 01-Mar-09 23:48:34

don't do it

moondog Sun 01-Mar-09 23:48:41

Just
Say
No

edam Sun 01-Mar-09 23:49:22

Oh dear. I would be planning to move house and forget to give the aunt my forwarding address! grin

I'm imagining her as quite formidable. And formidable German ladies of a certain age are, um, intimidating. To me, at any rate, you are presumably MUCH better at fending them off

Ponders Sun 01-Mar-09 23:50:15

Well she might be cheerful & charming & love children - not necessarily a moper - any way of finding out?

If she's wanting to come, not having it imposed on her, you could get a lot out of it.

moondog Sun 01-Mar-09 23:50:58

Would they be planning to pay you?

emkana Sun 01-Mar-09 23:51:04

My mum knows her (not very well though) and thinks she's more in the moper category

emkana Sun 01-Mar-09 23:51:27

Yes they would pay me some money towards food

moondog Sun 01-Mar-09 23:52:46

Just don't even consider it.
It's a big deal to have a stranger in your home for that time.
I couldn't even cope with one of my dear sisters for that long!

Ponders Sun 01-Mar-09 23:52:57

Yes but she may be mopey at home because it's in the rules for teenagers.

You lot have a very negative opinion of teenagers - do you actually have anything to do with them currently? They can be delightful you know (esp when not with their parents!)

emkana Sun 01-Mar-09 23:54:44

But I would feel like I would need to keep her entertained, drive her to places, make her stay worthwhile...

moondog Sun 01-Mar-09 23:55:34

Stop even discussing it Emkana!
I hearby declare thread closed.She is not coming.

<gavel>

emkana Sun 01-Mar-09 23:55:50

lol

Spidermama Sun 01-Mar-09 23:57:13

I think you should bite the bullet and do it. You might like her and even if you don't it'll be a learning, growing experience.

Also if you turn this, um, opportunity down, you will retain a small amount of guilt about it forever. (I speak from experience.)

Ponders Sun 01-Mar-09 23:57:46

Where did the 3 weeks thing come from? How about saying maybe she could come for 2 weeks, & that you won't be able to entertain her, but she can watch English TV (grin) & help you with the children if she would enjoy that.

If she's not keen on that suggestion then you can say no?

Spidermama Sun 01-Mar-09 23:57:51

AND you can get her to babysit for a couple of nights so you can go out. There are so many ways you can make it work for you.

Ponders Sun 01-Mar-09 23:58:30

Also what if your children, when teenagers, want to spend some time in Germany, hmm...?

Ponders Sun 01-Mar-09 23:59:15

& moondog, won't your children be world citizens who want to visit other countries without their parents?

moondog Mon 02-Mar-09 00:00:48

Christ,I'd rather indulge in vigorous mutual masturbatino with Trevor macdonald than have some teenager I didn't know from Adam in my house for 3 weeks.

Three weeks !!

<reaches for a beer>

emkana Mon 02-Mar-09 00:01:14

My children spend nearly every school holiday in Germany as it is...

moondog Mon 02-Mar-09 00:02:21

My kids Ponders???
They will be.I have sisters in Korean and caribbean and parents in Saudi. Too youngnow thoguh.

Anyway, surely you will speak German to her Em, which defeats object?

Molesworth Mon 02-Mar-09 00:02:26

I'm loving the word "masturbatino" moondog grin

Agree, the thought of unknown teenager hanging around the house for three weeks makes blood run cold. No way.

moondog Mon 02-Mar-09 00:03:26

<guffaw>
Sounds like something a teen would do with a waiter on holiday eh?
(Or was that just me??)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: