Page 2 | School has banned Kickers shoes! I have bought them for DS. AIBU to to let him wear them and start a fight with them if they try to sanction him?

(414 Posts)
CarefulDriver Sun 29-Aug-21 17:48:56

DS is starting secondary school next week. The school uniform regulations on the school website dictate that they wear black shoes (no trainer like shoes). Fine.

I bought him a pair of Kickers as I wanted comfy shoes which will last him most of the year. I know from previous experience with DS1 and 2 that the ‘businessman’ style shoes don’t last if they’re playing footie at break! Most of the DCs at their school wore Kickers and so did they once I caught on.

Chatting to friend who’s DC is also going to the same school yesterday and apparently the school has banned shoes with visible branding on which Kickers have. This is not on the main school uniform webpage which is what I checked to get his uniform but on a sub page for new Yr7s which I had read but only skimmed over the uniform bit as assumed it was the same as the main page.

I spent £68 on shoes, which IMO are common school shoes, he may not now be able to wear. He won’t be wearing out of school either obviously! I got them online direct from Kickers with a 14 day return policy which has runout now.

WIBU to just send him in on his first day in them?

OP’s posts: |
AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Sun 29-Aug-21 18:04:55

@Thehogfatherstolemycurry she already said she can't return them as they're out of the 14 day return window.

Thehogfatherstolemycurry Sun 29-Aug-21 18:08:30

@AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Sorry,missed that.
In that case contact school and see how strictly they enforce their policy.

CovidCorvid Sun 29-Aug-21 18:08:41

The name on the shoe in red and green letters will be too much. School will argue they’re not black shoes I should think.

When I was at school we had to put polish over the yellow stitching on DMs and that worked. Would a marker pen, etc help cover the letters?

TempName01 Sun 29-Aug-21 18:09:30

You could put a piece of black tape over the label rather than cut it

endofthelinefinally Sun 29-Aug-21 18:09:50

I think that these schools should provide a list of acceptable brands with stockists and prices, if they are going to be so particular. School shoes can be very challenging to find, especially if your child has non- average feet.

Biancadelrioisback Sun 29-Aug-21 18:10:29

I know you've missed the return window, but if you reach out to Kickers they may let you.
I've done this with a few online shops and as long as the item is in perfect condition, they'll usually let you send them back.

Can't hurt to ask.

If you can't, either sell them on or try and remove the labels (or colour them in).

My high school would measure heel heights so I disagree about schools not looking that closely

Advertisement

CovidCorvid Sun 29-Aug-21 18:10:46

Are they like this?

endofthelinefinally Sun 29-Aug-21 18:10:48

Gorilla tape?

MadeForThis Sun 29-Aug-21 18:10:54

When was the policy updated? If it was after people would realistically bought shoes then I would speak to the school and explain.

If it was updated last June then you might have to buy a new pair if they won't allow him to wear them.

Heyha Sun 29-Aug-21 18:11:31

The problem you've got is that you've said yourself that you didn't read the info for new year 7 properly when you found it. Although equally more fool school for not putting that info front and centre.

I think it would be worth contacting them as they'll have at least one training day before DS goes in but you will have to judge how strong the argument of it not being in the uniform section is depending on just how buried the year 7 info is. If they didn't send anything out to you by email/on paper with that info or pointing you to the section of the website that will help too.

It's annoying from a teacher point of view as well as they are really good school shoes which is the main battle we have here- you've bought a really sensible choice of footwear but an ill-thought out policy might render them unusuable. I hope common sense prevails for you OP, as I say you'll have a day or two to discuss at least.

Caramellatteplease Sun 29-Aug-21 18:13:43

Kickers are about the most sensible shoe you can get.

DD old school Dr Martens were the shoe of choice. Suited DD cos she needs something like Kickers or Dr Ms for medical reasons (as did many other pupil) and they last forever. The new head tried to enforce a ban. She'd have had to sent virtually the whole school home on the first day. It lasted 3 days before it was never mentioned again and the kids all kept wearing them. The kids had more sense than the head.

Sadly it didn't get any better and string of unpopular unenforceable discipline related changes left the decent teachers deserting the school in droves and kids aware they were able to win. I suspect will reverse the success of the previous head in taking the school from failing to nearly good.

Keep an eye on the school. Shoes often herald bigger changes, good and bad.

Brollypackedforscottishholiday Sun 29-Aug-21 18:15:59

Our school backed down as long as tag is cut off or coloured black with a marker...
They swapped long black socks to tights a week in term when my dd's had 5 pairs each..
angry
And skinny school trousers aren't allowed although all shops sell skinny style in the schoolwear section...
They told ds to keep his trousers for Saturday nights..
He was 15!!

HavelockVetinari Sun 29-Aug-21 18:17:56

The reason schools ban these shoes is that many families can't afford almost £70 for school shoes - secondary schools are the worst for brand snobbery, and I remember kids without the "right" shoes/coat/bag being teased constantly.

You can obviously afford them, but there'll be lots of families who can't. And a family who can afford £70 shoes that likely won't last a year due to puberty growth can afford to replace them with Clarks etc.

urbanbuddha Sun 29-Aug-21 18:19:03

Some schools are really too strict about uniform.
If the branding is the red and green on the backs of the shoes take them to to a cobbler - they might be able to dye them and remove any labels and tags.

Fhdfjiggvfhg Sun 29-Aug-21 18:19:59

You said that the shoes have to be black, if they have red and green writing on them these are black, green and red surely…? I believe the majority of schools have the rule around plain black shoes as it puts the kids in to group of those who can afford branded things and those who can’t.

Jaysmith71 Sun 29-Aug-21 18:20:18

"Why do we have to put up with this crap?"

Wierd British fetish. Other European nations with better pisa scores seem to manage without uniform. In Sweden, it is illegal to place any restriction on whatever a child choses to wear to school. It is their yumanrights.

Position in UK law is that heads have the power to impose discipline and this extends to dress codes. These codes, however, must be 'reasonable.'

PricklesAndSpikes Sun 29-Aug-21 18:20:37

Irrespective of whether the school is right or wrong with their policy, the problem is that the information WAS there, on the new joiners page. It's not the school's fault you chose not to read it properly.

Please don't just send your child in wearing them, he's the one that will suffer the consequences of your inattention, and that's not fair. Please don't start your son's high school journey being one of THOSE parents who think the rules don't apply to them or look for excuses because they made a mistake!

HavelockVetinari Sun 29-Aug-21 18:20:56

Also - permanent marker will make the branding invisible, if your real concern is the durability of the shoes. I suspect from your posts you're more keen on the brand itself though, and your DC being seen to wear it - otherwise why would you be bothered by covering it up? hmm

Shesaysso Sun 29-Aug-21 18:22:14

It’s the child that gets into trouble not you at high school, I agree that it should have been more obvious but I’d be surprised if they changed their mind. There are some ridiculous rules at secondary school but unfortunately you toe the line or you’re in isolation which is really stressful if you’re a good kid and you’re new. I’d be buying some plain black ones and attempting to change the Kickers - they wouldn’t be allowed in our school.

SquirryTheSquirrel Sun 29-Aug-21 18:22:32

urbanbuddha

Some schools are really too strict about uniform.
If the branding is the red and green on the backs of the shoes take them to to a cobbler - they might be able to dye them and remove any labels and tags.

I had a pair of green shoes I was fed up with and successfully dyed them black at home.

jay55 Sun 29-Aug-21 18:23:01

Put black duck tape over the branding parts.

TheWholeJingbang Sun 29-Aug-21 18:23:19

Who has the time to police this shit? Seriously!

Bagamoyo1 Sun 29-Aug-21 18:26:23

HavelockVetinari

The reason schools ban these shoes is that many families can't afford almost £70 for school shoes - secondary schools are the worst for brand snobbery, and I remember kids without the "right" shoes/coat/bag being teased constantly.

You can obviously afford them, but there'll be lots of families who can't. And a family who can afford £70 shoes that likely won't last a year due to puberty growth can afford to replace them with Clarks etc.

Agree.
It may seem pointless to you, but brand snobbery at secondary school is awful. DS1 wouldn’t wear a coat because I wouldn’t buy him a £400 North Face one. It wasn’t till year 9 that he felt brave enough to wear a cheaper coat. If expensive coats had been banned I’d have been very happy!

Treezan82 Sun 29-Aug-21 18:27:28

CarefulDriver

They have the name on the heel as well in big letters in bright green and red as well as the tag on the front though.

Why should I have to deface a brand new pair shoes just because of a stupid rule they’ve just brought in angry.

Kids have been wearing Kickers to school for years!

Why do we have to put up with this crap?

Because some children's parents can't afford £68 Kickers. They then get socially singled out for not having them. That's why the rule is there - no branding, same uniform, everyone is on a level playing field (as far as possible). Take it from someone who was the poor kid at school.

twinkletoedelephant Sun 29-Aug-21 18:27:31

Schools can be VERY strict with uniform. For example dpup chewed one of dd leather shoes I put her in black trainers and went to explain in the office ... she was excluded for the day for incorrect uniform.

All uniform issues are met with, if you don't agree you free to send your child elsewhere....

So we went shoe shopping, then out for lunch smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in