Advanced search

I've just fallen through my bathroom floor

(60 Posts)
MhysaMhysa Tue 20-Aug-19 10:43:14

Sorry for posting here don't know where to put this.

I have damp in my house and my landlord won't do anything about it.

Previously, part of the kitchen floor collapsed and he nailed it back on and said he'd sort out new flooring, never happened.

This morning I was bathing DD and a piece of floor half the size of a tile collapsed and I fell through it, it's deeper than it looks, came up to above my knees.

Can't get in touch with my landlord but when I do, what should I expect to be done to properly fix this? I don't know anything about it, so it's unlikely I'll know if he is doing what he should, although I'm assuming nails and a hammer aren't going to cut it this time.

If DD had fallen through it, she could have really hurt herself.

Madmilkmaid Tue 20-Aug-19 10:58:17

That's awful. Glad ur OK.
I would give environmental health at your local council a call re the damp etc. The can force the landlord to legally fix the issue if the house is in a dangerous state.
I would also worry that now one bit of floor has fallen through that other bits around it will follow so be very careful around that hole!

MhysaMhysa Tue 20-Aug-19 11:04:37

That's my concern too and also that because it's right beside the bath, that will collapse.

I've been putting off phoning environmental services because I can see my landlord evicting me rather than spending money, but I think I'm going to have to as obviously it's becoming dangerous.

Thanks for the reply.

mammabella1 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:10:56

Call the council and report! Totally unsafe and unacceptable IMO.

Madmilkmaid Tue 20-Aug-19 11:16:45

He may evict you or the council may condem the property and you need to leave. That's crap if you like the area etc but if the place is so bad that floors are falling through then I don't see you have a choice tbh.
He won't be allowed to rent it out until its fixed properly so he has no way around paying the money for that.
Hope you get sorted.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 20-Aug-19 11:18:48

Is he not breaking the law by not fixing it.
Surely that goes against H&S regulations and its Not just something he can sort if he feels like.

orangeshoebox Tue 20-Aug-19 11:20:29

he can't evict you (legally) if you report it to environmental health/housing.

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 20-Aug-19 11:20:55

Let him try a revenge eviction! You can protect yourself against that but, if I were you, I would try and use it as a means of getting help to get into better accomodation, if at all possible.

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 20-Aug-19 11:22:05

he can't evict you (legally) if you report it to environmental health/housing It isn't quite that simple, but the link above explains how easy it can be to block him for about 6 months.

MhysaMhysa Tue 20-Aug-19 11:34:48

Thank you for the info and link thats helpful. I've put up with a lot the past few years, I didn't consider that he would have to spend the money anyway before letting to someone else, if I went via council route.

When I complained about mould growing on my DDs bedroom wall, he came and washed it off. When I told him his windows needed sealed, he put a strip of plastic around them that came off a week later. He will do anything to avoid spending money.

I'm trying to move, desperate to, but my area is so expensive, I need to be here for work, family, school etc. I'm on the council list too but don't think I have much of a chance there.

Sorry for the rant my nerves are shot to shit this morning I've just had enough.

Stressedout10 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:41:37

If you involve the council and they condemn it you should get moved up the list though

DuMondeB Tue 20-Aug-19 11:51:11

Give him the chance to fix it, then report to the council. Document everything (contact in writing). He might well try and evict you but it’s harder with the council involved (I was in this position years ago and my council inspector chap was an absolute darlin’ - a temporary father figure!)

Have you got a local tenants union? The one near me achieves great stuff for private tenants,

CTRL Tue 20-Aug-19 12:14:51

Bless you.

I don’t really have any sound advise but calling environmental health sounds like it may be the step forward and if he does evict you then you can go to the council and hopefully get something from them ?

I know it would be a while for the council to home you but I feel better security and hopefully you won’t have issues like this in future.

Keep us updated OP and keep your lil one safe x

MhysaMhysa Tue 20-Aug-19 13:47:15

I have finally got in touch with him. He has said that to get a builder out will be very expensive and so my rent will have to go up?

Does anyone know if this is legal???

Cheeserton Tue 20-Aug-19 13:49:58

Does anyone know if this is legal???

No it bloody isn't, not in direct relation to specific problems like this. Speak to CAB and Shelter for advice - he's shit and taking the piss m

Confusedbeetle Tue 20-Aug-19 13:51:36

You need to move to a place with a better landlord

gamerchick Tue 20-Aug-19 13:54:32

You need to ring shelter for advice.

SunshineCake Tue 20-Aug-19 14:16:16

What a horrible man. Report him ASAP. What a prick. I'd also text him and say Can you tell me how much you think the rent will go up to in lieu of the building repairs? Play dumb. Get it all in writing.

Mcl1 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:09:39

Some good advice in the attached link. You too need to get in touch with the Council. Good luck.

DeeCeeCherry Wed 21-Aug-19 07:17:32

Disgraceful. Please call local authority immed3 ask that Tenancy Relations Offcer & Environmental Health need to visit your property as an emergency as your bathroom is dangerous and not fit for purpose. If he does evict you the Council will help you. He's renting out a dangerous property and they'll take action on that so he'll have all that to contend with, serves him right. We're you injured? If so get to your GP and report.

I worked in Private Sector Housing Advice for 14 years & we regularly had to deal with dickhead landlords like this.

TRO & Environmental Health are your 1st port of call. If you want to talk it over further ring Shelter. These are your best options to get this resolved quicker.

Mumoftoo19 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:27:19

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I had the EXACT same issue. The landlord knew it was bad as it was bowing for a while. When it fell through that was the final straw. I was worried DS would hurt himself. Landlord was unhelpful so I involved environmental health.

They ordered that the landlord needed to fix it properly and a few other things around the property. I then got a section 21 put through my door. So I was evicted for speaking up. It was frustrating because either way the landlord would have had to do the work.

Unfortunately this is the case in many rented properties and the council actually warned me that an eviction was likely. I saw solicitors ect, but i still had to leave after going to court. I managed to string it out for about 6 months and find somewhere else.

Good luck OP.

Mumoftoo19 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:30:18

I just saw that you are on the council list, so this could possibly work to your advantage as if he does evict you the council will have to help.

In the tenancy there should be a section about possible rent increase. If not ask him how much the rent would increase by and go and speak to citizens advice or similar, to see if it is a fair increase.

MaybeitsMaybelline Wed 21-Aug-19 07:54:47

Contact him immediately and tell him you Are putting a claim in to a no win no fee company for damages to your leg.

This is appalling, you shouldn’t have to live like this.

Pollywollydolly Wed 21-Aug-19 07:59:18

I just saw that you are on the council list, so this could possibly work to your advantage as if he does evict you the council will have to help.

Check what help they will actually give, it varies from area to area. In some places it will bump you up the list, but you will have to take what you are given. In other areas you may get temporary accommodation which again may not be to your liking, but if you turn it down they won't offer anything else. Once in temporary accommodation you may have to stay there for some time until you secure a permanent property. Again if a permanent property is offered you will have to accept or they will withdraw the temporary accommodation. Sorry to be blunt but it's best to know. Talk to a housing officer at the council they will give you an honest picture of what is likely to happen.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 21-Aug-19 07:59:37

Horrible man. House maintenance is part of renting. DeeCee and others have given good advice. Try communicating in writing - text or email so you have a physical trail.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »