Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to find this " Best Gag of the Edinburgh Festival in poor taste?

(419 Posts)
speakout Mon 19-Aug-19 21:04:08

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49389208

I have seen and read this "joke " repeated several times on TV in the past few days and find it in very poor taste. Newsreaders on TV have been chuckling. Tourette's can be a serious and debilatating condition and sufferers have huge challenges in everyday life. Surely we are a bit more grown up these days than to poke fun at people with a neurological condition?
Is is just me being stuffy?

MrsTWH Mon 19-Aug-19 21:06:12

Really?! It’s a joke about vegetables hmm

applepineapple Mon 19-Aug-19 21:07:09

Oh dear... 🥦🥦🥦

marvellousnightforamooncup Mon 19-Aug-19 21:07:27

It's a joke about Tourettes.

IAskTooManyQuestions Mon 19-Aug-19 21:07:58

I thought it was a very clever pun

Still, there's always one who is professionally offended.

ShirleyPhallus Mon 19-Aug-19 21:08:44

It’s not a funny joke

But not an offensive one either

IAskTooManyQuestions Mon 19-Aug-19 21:09:10

Someone will say this one is racist:

On his joke claiming the top spot, Falafel said: "This is a fantastic honour but it's like I've always said, jokes about white sugar are rare, jokes about brown sugar... demerara."

speakout Mon 19-Aug-19 21:09:13

Really?! It’s a joke about vegetables hmm

It;s also a joke about Tourette's syndrome.

Figmentofmyimagination Mon 19-Aug-19 21:09:31

Yes you are. It’s very funny.

Celebelly Mon 19-Aug-19 21:09:54

This is the joke:

'I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets".'

(Doing people as lazy as me a service)

Snoozysnoozy Mon 19-Aug-19 21:10:29

Diagnosed with Tourettes when I was 7. I think it's a shit joke but it's not offensive.

camelfinger Mon 19-Aug-19 21:11:14

I agree, and also not even funny. The whole list is a bit rubbish though, I only like the rounding up cows one.

SandAndSeals Mon 19-Aug-19 21:11:52

Do you have Tourettes, OP? Or do you just like to be offended on behalf of other people with them needing or asking you to?

speakout Mon 19-Aug-19 21:12:14

I am happy to be told that I am over thinking things, maybe I am being over sensitive. I am happy to be told I am a pearl clutcher- just wondered what others think.

MrsTWH Mon 19-Aug-19 21:12:54

Right, so it’s a joke about Tourette’s. But what makes it offensive? It’s not rude about sufferers, it’s not using offensive language, it’s not belittling people with Tourette’s. It’s a play on words using vegetables.

What are people allowed to joke about? Perhaps we should come up with an approved list.

yearinyearout Mon 19-Aug-19 21:14:00

I think it's funny 🤷🏼‍♀️

Nextphonewontbesamsung Mon 19-Aug-19 21:14:15

Yanbu. I heard about this on the radio this morning and winced. I think it could be offensive to some people with Tourettes - although obviously I don't know. But it crossed my mind.

Cassilis Mon 19-Aug-19 21:14:16

Good one OP grin

BertrandRussell Mon 19-Aug-19 21:14:28

I think it’s funny. But I also think that the best joke of the festival shouldn’t reference a neurological condition. I don’t think it’s offensive particularly- but I do think it could be upsetting.

dementedma Mon 19-Aug-19 21:15:34

I think the Eton one is funnier.

And my brother’s latest offering, “ I got sacked today from my job at the sewage farm, for being unenthusiastic. My boss said I was just going through the motions.”

Luxesoap Mon 19-Aug-19 21:17:19

I just thought it was a very unfunny joke. Couldn’t believe it was deemed to be the funniest one liner. It’s like a Les Dawson or Bruce Forsyth era line. I agree it doesn’t appear to be setting out to poke fun at people with Tourette’s but that’s the kindest thing I can say about it.

SkiddySkidz Mon 19-Aug-19 21:23:44

@MrsTWH is spot on. What exactly are people finding offensive about this mildly humorous play on words? I guess some people just look for ways to be offended. Sounds tiring.

BertrandRussell Mon 19-Aug-19 21:27:09

I don’t think it’s offensive. I just think it’s a bit tasteless and could be upsetting. So why run the risk when there must have been a squillion equally funny one liners.

SweetNorthernRose Mon 19-Aug-19 21:28:16

Like a pp said it's not belittling or making fun of people with tourette's, so nothing offensive about it. It's just a shit pun.

Scotlass123 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:28:56

Can’t believe people are offended at that joke.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »